Cracks In Window Frames - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 15B
Cracks In Window Frames

Does anyone have these cracks in their window frames on inside of trailer? Is this normal or is it something that needs to be fixed? They don't look like intentional seams because they are are not straight lines. Some go through the whole frame width and some just go part way through.
Attached Thumbnails
20161031_164308.jpg  
scoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoram View Post
Does anyone have these cracks in their window frames on inside of trailer? Is this normal or is it something that needs to be fixed? They don't look like intentional seams because they are are not straight lines. Some go through the whole frame width and some just go part way through.
That doesn't look like a crack to me, but that it's been cut. We don't have such cuts, at least, not that we've noticed.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Did you buy this trailer new from ETI or was there a previous owner that may have attempted mods?
As a 2015, it would still be under warranty. Have you contacted ETI?
Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #4

Bought it new from ETI. Have an appointment to take it in to be looked at next week.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 01:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While there is a seam (because the frame is made of a piece of extruded aluminum bent into the frame shape, I agree this isn't the seam. The one in the photo looks like a saw cut, made in the frame before the window was assembled (it would be tough to make that cut with the glass and rubber in place). Weird! I can't think of any reason for this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Window frame seam, usually covered with chalking, but not always on all windows.
Cheers
Doug
Old 11-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Looks to me like someone at the window factory (Hehr?) took a shortcut with scrap materials that got past the censors.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
There are a couple of ours like that- I believe the bathroom one is.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
These are expansion seams which allow expansion and contraction in the metal frame, just like the seams in a bridge.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
These are expansion seams which allow expansion and contraction in the metal frame, just like the seams in a bridge.
Well, it would seem to me that if it's a factory expansion seam, it would go all the way through the portion of the frame that expands and contracts. It appears to be a cut only about halfway through. The frame won't be able to expand or contract properly with such a cut.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Looks to be a factory produced seam. May have been done by a rookie or maybe not, but has likely passed their QC process and relects the quality of work that is considered acceptable by the window manufacturer. I don't think there is much that ETI would be able to do about it. It is definitely a small cosmetic flaw that does not affect the performance of the window. The OP will likely have to either live with it, or alternatively, do some kind of his own fix (possibly grind off the paint, weld/solder/jb weld it flush, and repaint). I would probably leave it as is and just go camping.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I would probably leave it as is and just go camping.
I agree wholeheartedly, but the OP wanted to know what it was - and I'm not sure.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoram View Post
I notice that this is a textured window so it is either the door or a bathroom and is a small window. Our 15B, 2013, has these joints in the inside trim pieces on our two small windows, door and kitchen. There is no seam on the outside where there is a crack. I believe the trim pieces needed a little trimming as these small windows were going in places where the curve of the trailer was both vertical and horizontal and the window was originally designed for a totally FLAT install. This is also why our hinged window in the kitchen area did not shut well until I made some adjustments. If it bothers you, touch it up with some black, silicone gasket material to both fill the crack and hide the aluminum color. Mine both have piece of tape over them, original. Bottom line, nothing to worry about.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I believe the trim pieces needed a little trimming as these small windows were going in places where the curve of the trailer was both vertical and horizontal and the window was originally designed for a totally FLAT install.
Now that's the first explanation that makes some sense to me. A cut in the trim piece would allow it to be slightly flexed for a better seal on the slightly curved shell. But, only thing that doesn't make sense is that the shell is designed to accommodate flat windows.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
... I believe the trim pieces needed a little trimming as these small windows were going in places where the curve of the trailer was both vertical and horizontal and the window was originally designed for a totally FLAT install.
That's interesting, and makes sense, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
... only thing that doesn't make sense is that the shell is designed to accommodate flat windows.
Right - the Escape shell should be flat (although sloped inward) in all of the window areas, including the kitchen and the door. This is true of at least the side window areas of most of the classic moulded fiberglass travel trailer designs.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our 21 has these seams on all windows. Some have one seam and others, including the large rear window have two. All are horizontal except the escape hatch which has one vertical at the top.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Our 21 has these seams on all windows.
All windows of this type have at least one "seam" or joint, because the frame and inner retaining ring are made from straight pieces of extruded aluminum, cut to length and bent to shape. What the original post shows is not one of these joints; it looks to me like it is a cut only partially through the aluminum part. I have three RVs with this type of window (various vintages and brands of window); all have the joint and none have other cuts that I have noticed.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #18

Thanks everyone for your replies. I just took it to ETI for a few other problems corrected under warranty and they said the cracks were normal. I'm glad I live just an hour and a half away from ETI. They did some other improvements/mods that I wouldn't have known about had I not had it serviced by them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk