Crappy storage box latches - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Received the latches from R & P; paint doesn't look to be powder coated and there are a few nicks showing bare metal. Paint kinda thin too. Will have to paint them before installing. I guess for the price ($10 ea.) it isn't too bad.
Ross it has been awhile but I would look for stainless . I did find some awhile back on Amazon . Hope they still have but I have just been painting the rust . If you find the stainless you will be pretty much done and not having to replace again . My suggestion . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Oh boy; painted them carefully and were looking good. Then someone(not me) knocked them over and blemmed them up. Might try fixing, yet in the meantime did a search and found the exact replacement on Amazon so ordered both in case I can't fix the paint boo boo, and see if the holes line up better. They are JR Products and probably what Escape used as they use a lot of their other items.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pat- stainless these days isn't the same and is not rustproof. Am going to try to use bolts to reattach no I can remove if needed to paint up again later.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Oh boy; painted them carefully and were looking good. Then someone(not me) knocked them over and blemmed them up. Might try fixing, yet in the meantime did a search and found the exact replacement on Amazon so ordered both in case I can't fix the paint boo boo, and see if the holes line up better. They are JR Products and probably what Escape used as they use a lot of their other items.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pat- stainless these days isn't the same and is not rustproof. Am going to try to use bolts to reattach no I can remove if needed to paint up again later.
I know Ross but I am still going to stainless . How about those door hinges I found ? Ours look like the day I installed and there is no rust . Very high quality . I think you want something like 304 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I know Ross but I am still going to stainless . How about those door hinges I found ? Ours look like the day I installed and there is no rust . Very high quality . I think you want something like 304 . Pat
Especially if the front box is being recoated. Fill the old holes, drill new holes for better hinges and then recoat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Especially if the front box is being recoated. Fill the old holes, drill new holes for better hinges and then recoat.
The top part of the latch is on the box's top so that has to stay. One could move the latch down or up slightly as they have an adjustment screw. Am going to use bolts & nylock nuts instead of rivets to mount new latches.

My stainless door hinges will show some corrosion and I have to stay on top of them so they won't get pitted. Price of living near the ocean with salt air & fog.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #46

Received the JR Products 11845 Fold Down Camper Latches and they are night and day superior in the finish. Wish I had searched JR Products for latches first as I know ETI uses their stuff for various things. The paint on the first set made in Taiwan looks like primer compared to these and they are the exact fit. But- there was a nick in the area on both where it folds into where you would padlock it, so they're going back free to Amazon and have decided to go with the black ones which will go well with my other black items of late- hood vent, door catch, edging on front box, wheels.