Creaky floor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Creaky floor

My 21C (2019) has a bit of a creaky floor in just one spot. Between the corner of the bed and the sink or entry door is a spot that creaks a little when you step on it. Do others have similar little creaks and groans in the floor, and is there anything that can be done about it (other than eating more salads)? It's not a huge issue of course but might be nice to remedy if possible. I"m not willing to pull up the flooring or anything that extreme.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find re-leveling or moving the trailer a little helps with creaks, or maybe that just works on my knees..........
Old 09-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
This is a known issue. It happens with our 21 as well.

Check out the Squeaky Creaky Floor thread.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
My 21C (2019) has a bit of a creaky floor in just one spot. Between the corner of the bed and the sink or entry door is a spot that creaks a little when you step on it. Do others have similar little creaks and groans in the floor, and is there anything that can be done about it (other than eating more salads)? It's not a huge issue of course but might be nice to remedy if possible. I"m not willing to pull up the flooring or anything that extreme.
Our new 21 did the same thing, in the same spot.... almost sounded like the subfloor wasn't adhered well to the underlying fiberglass (sounds like the fiberglass mat didn't have enough resin in it) It seemed to have gone away after a couple of months.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
My trailer is a lot quieter than my house, the upside when someone breaks into my house, I am going to know
Old 09-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When I asked Tammy a few years back, she said it wasn't actually the floor, but the joint between the bed frame & floor. In any case, it doesn't seem to be a problem after 710 nights in the trailer...
Old 09-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When I asked Tammy a few years back, she said it wasn't actually the floor, but the joint between the bed frame & floor. In any case, it doesn't seem to be a problem after 710 nights in the trailer...
Jon, you hit it on the head - it's not the flooring. My trailer had the same creaking noises but I fixed it by a redo on the bed framing. The Escape framing was just stapled together and very weak. Reinforcing the bed framing with solid glued joints properly supported eliminated the creaks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170405_181411.jpg  
Old 11-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 2017 21'
We also have a 2017 21' and have had the same problem. What I discovered from talking with Reace several years ago, was that the problem was with the bed frame.

A simple and effective remedy is to rub some wax from a small piece of a candle, onto the plywood around the perimeter of the bed frame (especially the corner by the door). If helps to lift the plywood and apply the wax to the edge of the plywood, as well as the inner lip of the bedframe. Once the edge of the plywood is "lubricated" with the wax, this should take care of the squeaking problem. FYI-you will need to reapply the wax several times a year, but in only takes 2 minutes.

Good luck.

Dan
Flyfisherdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisherdan View Post
We also have a 2017 21' and have had the same problem. What I discovered from talking with Reace several years ago, was that the problem was with the bed frame.

A simple and effective remedy is to rub some wax from a small piece of a candle, onto the plywood around the perimeter of the bed frame (especially the corner by the door). If helps to lift the plywood and apply the wax to the edge of the plywood, as well as the inner lip of the bedframe. Once the edge of the plywood is "lubricated" with the wax, this should take care of the squeaking problem. FYI-you will need to reapply the wax several times a year, but in only takes 2 minutes.

Good luck.

Dan
Or just fix the bed frame so that it is not flexing and forget about the wax.

I helped a friend this week install a 12v port for his CPAS above the "headboard". We ran the wiring down the drivers side of the trailer to the converter fuse panel so we removed the driver side of the bed plywood to access the wire run under the bed.

Once we had removed the screws from the drivers side bed plywood, the rest of the bed frame just fell apart. The screws in the plywood was the only things holding the whole mess together.

My friend told me to not put the plywood back as he was not happy with the way it was put together and planned to redo the bed frame. He is going to notch the boards running along both sides of the bed and run full length boards across.

He isn't going to need wax either.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
So it’s a known problem to the factory. Guess I will find out in two weeks if it was resolved.
Oh well I needed something to fix this winter in South Texas.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hmmm, creaky beds- used to be a time we all enjoyed

At some point our 21 floor (bed frame issue) stopped. Am thinking the wood shrank some over time.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

Once we had removed the screws from the drivers side bed plywood, the rest of the bed frame just fell apart. The screws in the plywood was the only things holding the whole mess together.

My friend told me to not put the plywood back as he was not happy with the way it was put together and planned to redo the bed frame. He is going to notch the boards running along both sides of the bed and run full length boards across.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
So it’s a known problem to the factory. Guess I will find out in two weeks if it was resolved.
Oh well I needed something to fix this winter in South Texas.
I thought forum users were supposed to use respect in their posts.

This is the second current post where a newbie expresses concern based on disparaging comments.

I wasn't crazy about the bed platform in my 19 the first time I took it apart to do some work.

By the time I took my 21 platform apart, also to do unrelated mods, I'd synthesized what I'd seen and realized the platform construction uses a design principle common to open web beams. The platform does the job it was intended to do. Tens of thousands nights have been spent by folks on the Escape beds without anyone having a major issue.

Wood shrinks and moves a bit and a creak here or there isn't unusual.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Update Avatar

Hi Lorrie, I believe your avatar is overdue for an update to show your 19'.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I thought forum users were supposed to use respect in their posts.

This is the second current post where a newbie expresses concern based on disparaging comments.

I wasn't crazy about the bed platform in my 19 the first time I took it apart to do some work.

By the time I took my 21 platform apart, also to do unrelated mods, I'd synthesized what I'd seen and realized the platform construction uses a design principle common to open web beams. The platform does the job it was intended to do. Tens of thousands nights have been spent by folks on the Escape beds without anyone having a major issue.

Wood shrinks and moves a bit and a creak here or there isn't unusual.

Ron
You are developing a pattern where you criticize people for their posts for no valid reason. It's off putting to new forum members and comes across as intimidating. You had an issue and you corrected it, and it was your choice not to complain or be concerned about it. Just like it is up to others how THEY feel about any issues they come across and they have every right to share their thoughts.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
yup

Our 2019 21C did too, and I found it coming from the bed corner..scraped a block of wax around that area and fixed it
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #16

I think the newbie, whatever that is, is referencing me. I will refrain from any remarks from now on, and I apologize to our northern counterparts for my apparently upsetting remarks.

D.C. Boyd
Retired Architectural Engineer and Builder
Retired Marine Surveyor
100 Tn. USCG Licensed/ Sail endorsement
31’ Airstream owner for 40 years.

A “newbie” in this forum. Anxiously awaiting a 21C in 2 weeks
Old 11-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
I think the newbie, whatever that is, is referencing me. I will refrain from any remarks from now on, and I apologize to our northern counterparts for my apparently upsetting remarks.

D.C. Boyd
Retired Architectural Engineer and Builder
Retired Marine Surveyor
100 Tn. USCG Licensed/ Sail endorsement
31’ Airstream owner for 40 years.

A “newbie” in this forum. Anxiously awaiting a 21C in 2 weeks
Please don't apologize, you've done nothing wrong. Most of us LOVE our Escapes because they are an exceptionally well-built product. And one of the reasons for that is because feedback from past, present and future owners inspires improvements. Win win for all, including ETI. And welcome, it's great to have you on board
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #18

Thank you
Old 11-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Please keep further posts relevant to the thread topic, it's a "Creaky Floor".
Old 11-29-2020, 11:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Talking Squeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Please keep further posts relevant to the thread topic, it's a "Creaky Floor".
Yeah, we thiought it was the floor, but iot was the inboard corner of the front bunl frame..about where the corner is cut off. Gulf wax or Ivory soap rubbed around that area shud stop her.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote