Current tires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Current tires

Been watching orientation videos, in one it was mentioned that beginning in2018 tires on all models have been upgraded to 8 ply. No, mention if they are "D's". Are they? I have not seen any mention of tire failures, but maybe I had better do a search.

Tom
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yes- D rated ST tires are "8ply". With Goodyear Endurance D rated are the lowest one can buy. Doesn't mean you have to fill them to 65 psi. For a light trailer like Escape 55 is more than adequate. Otherwise you shake things more inside needlessly.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
"8-ply" is actually 8-ply rating, and simply means Load Range D. These tires certainly do not have 8 plies of cord, and haven't for decades. The ply rating is obsolete.
  • 2-ply rating = Load Range A, max ~24 PSI (not used any more)
  • 4-ply rating = Load Range B, max ~32 PSI (standard for cars)
  • 6-ply rating = Load Range C, max ~50 PSI (typical for lighter trucks and trailers)
  • 8-ply rating = Load Range D, max ~65 PSI (typical higher rating for small trailers)
  • 10-ply rating = Load Range E, max ~80 PSI (typical higher rating for pickup trucks and 16" wheel trailers)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Thanks folks, my question has been answered.
Tom
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"8-ply" is actually 8-ply rating, and simply means Load Range D. These tires certainly do not have 8 plies of cord, and haven't for decades. The ply rating is obsolete.
  • 2-ply rating = Load Range A, max ~24 PSI (not used any more)
  • 4-ply rating = Load Range B, max ~32 PSI (standard for cars)
  • 6-ply rating = Load Range C, max ~50 PSI (typical for lighter trucks and trailers)
  • 8-ply rating = Load Range D, max ~65 PSI (typical higher rating for small trailers)
  • 10-ply rating = Load Range E, max ~80 PSI (typical higher rating for pickup trucks and 16" wheel trailers)
Been meaning to say this for some time. Your knowledge of so many subjects is nothing short of amazing. Kudos!

Maybe you could tell me where that rascal is who has two women.

See below.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Been meaning to say this for some time. Your knowledge of so many subjects is nothing short of amazing. Kudos!

See below.
And me as well, I often wonder who this person (Brian B-P) is. Brian, how about a short "autobiography" under "About Me" in your profile?
Old 08-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Brain in a know it all here thank goodness we have him and others that help us thru projects and trouble shooting electrical and plumbing issues that arise.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We went with D rated tires as the C range was not available. Found out later it would be a harsher ride--should have seen that coming with the higher pressure. Ride in our 17B is harsh enough as is.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Goodyear Endurance Inflation Chart

You can inflate them as low as 25 lbs.; it is a function of load. Many tire salespeople are likely unaware of this.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Old 08-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We went with D rated tires as the C range was not available. Found out later it would be a harsher ride--should have seen that coming with the higher pressure. Ride in our 17B is harsh enough as is.
The fix is simply to use the pressure that you would use with a Load Range C tire.

A common bit of advice is to always inflate trailer tires to the maximum pressure shown on the sidewall. This is based on the assumption that trailers are typically equipped with tires of barely enough capacity, so they need nearly that pressure... which is not true on any Escape, and particularly one for which a Load Range C tire would be fine but is equipped with a Load Range D tire of the same size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You can inflate them as low as 25 lbs.; it is a function of load. Many tire salespeople are likely unaware of this.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Very true.
In that table (or any other company's equivalent... it's an industry standard published by the Tire & Rim Association) there is only one row for each size - the only difference between load ranges is how much pressure can be used and as a result how much load can be carried (as a result of different internal construction, of course). A Load Range D tire inflated to the maximum pressure for a Load Range C tire (50 PSI in this size) is effectively just a Load Range C tire with extra reinforcement making it slightly heavier, harsher, and tending to heat up more.

This is clear in the tables for Goodyear's UNISTEEL G614 RST and G670 RV models, which show the pressure and load capacity for the various load ranges with the load range in brackets (but those models are not ST tires so they have different limits). They don't show this for the Endurance ST tires, presumably because the only make the tire in one load range. It's more apparent in the equivalent Maxxis table, which shows the capacities and inflation limits for Load Range B, C, D, and E... up to the highest load range which they offer in each size.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
What is the tire size on the new 21C?
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
What is the tire size on the new 21C?
Escape has used the same size of tire (ST205/75R15) on all models for quite a while, and I haven't heard of a recent change.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17' SD former 2020 21C current
2020 21C tire size

My new 2020 21C came with ST 205 75R 15 tires. so no change.
md cawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
What speed rating are the 'D' tires installed on new Escapes? Also the lug nut socket size. Metric or SAE? We're still in the waiting room for our 5.0. Thanks, Matt & Pat
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I saw a pict of the new tires on the 21C. They are made in China. All I need to know. I will have a brand new set of new tires for sale when my 21C comes in Dec.

https://mechanicbase.com/tires/tire-...id-purchasing/
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanson View Post
Also the lug nut socket size. Metric or SAE?
North American trailer hardware in general hasn't changed much in half a century... so there are no metric parts. Dexter hubs of this range typically have (and in Escape's case do have) 1/2" threaded studs, so the corresponding nuts are SAE (typically a 13/16" hex size).