DC to DC Charger with MPPT controller + lithium iron phosphate batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 2013 17 foot
DC to DC Charger with MPPT controller + lithium iron phosphate batteries

I have Renogy 20amp DC-DC charger located in the front of my 17 foot trailer.
I used 8awg wire from my 4runner battery to the DC-DC charger; then 10awg wire back to the LiFePo4 batteries inside, at the back, of my trailer. I also installed a
Renogy 20amp. MPPT Solar Controller with a 95W panel on the roof, and a 100W panel outside. My trailer is from 2013, so it has the stock WFCO 8900
series Ultra 3 Distribution Centre. There is a battery shut off switch as the positive wire comes out of the distribution centre. This WFCO has 3 stage charging for lead/acid batteries. My worry is that the WFCO charging system might mess with my LiFePo4 batteries (2X 80 Ah. Scremower) or the other
Renogy components. I could use the switch to disconnect the WFCO from the batteries when I am driving or plugged into 110V (when hardly ever happens).
Should I be worried about "progressive" charging?? Is the WFCO centre going to cause me problems?? I am just now installing all this stuff. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
IanHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHall View Post
I have Renogy 20amp DC-DC charger located in the front of my 17 foot trailer.
I used 8awg wire from my 4runner battery to the DC-DC charger; then 10awg wire back to the LiFePo4 batteries inside, at the back, of my trailer. I also installed a
Renogy 20amp. MPPT Solar Controller with a 95W panel on the roof, and a 100W panel outside. My trailer is from 2013, so it has the stock WFCO 8900
series Ultra 3 Distribution Centre. There is a battery shut off switch as the positive wire comes out of the distribution centre. This WFCO has 3 stage charging for lead/acid batteries. My worry is that the WFCO charging system might mess with my LiFePo4 batteries (2X 80 Ah. Scremower) or the other
Renogy components. I could use the switch to disconnect the WFCO from the batteries when I am driving or plugged into 110V (when hardly ever happens).
Should I be worried about "progressive" charging?? Is the WFCO centre going to cause me problems?? I am just now installing all this stuff. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
WFCO - Our WF-8950L2-REP lithium converter replacement kit allows easy
upgrade of existing power centers

WACO WF-8950L2-REP Lithium Converter Replacement Kit

Edit: there is also this not sure which one you need.

WFCO WF-8950L2-MBA Replacement RV Power Converter Lithium-Ion Main Board
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
May not be correct, but I don't think the stock WFCO will cause any harm to your batteries, just won't charge them properly.
This is the unit I'm going to be using to upgrade the stock WFCO to handle the Lithium batteries.
PD 4655L MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955 or Parallax 7155 (Includes 4600 Remote)
If you call Randy at Best Converter he can walk you through the best solution for your setup.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
May not be correct, but I don't think the stock WFCO will cause any harm to your batteries, just won't charge them properly.
This is the unit I'm going to be using to upgrade the stock WFCO to handle the Lithium batteries.
PD 4655L MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955 or Parallax 7155 (Includes 4600 Remote)
If you call Randy at Best Converter he can walk you through the best solution for your setup.
Following that link, those voltages appear to be optimized for AGM batteries as opposed to Lithium. Especially, since it has a 'DESULFATION' mode.

Why would you choose that over WFCO's solutions which are specifically designed for Lithium batteries?
Old 12-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
This is designed for Lithium and there is a Jumper that activates the Lithium profile. No desulfation, and correct charge profile for the Lithium batteries. It will do AGM as well as Flooded, but the Jumper is on different pins for those and sets different charge profiles.

The Progressive units are the ones that many others on the forum have replaced the stock charge module with and given install pics, help, great reviews and feedback. This is one of the main threads started in 2017, and then moves into the Wildkat PD4655L as folks began to add Lithium batteries.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...rter-9923.html

I'm sure the WFCO module would be fine as well, but I don't recall anyone with that one installed and I don't know much about it. Randy at Best Converter would be a good one to ask for the comparison. Have you installed the WFCO module and had a good experience with it?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Following that link, those voltages appear to be optimized for AGM batteries as opposed to Lithium. Especially, since it has a 'DESULFATION' mode.

Why would you choose that over WFCO's solutions which are specifically designed for Lithium batteries?
The "L" models of the Progressive Dynamics converter have a jumper that can be set to lithium, which provides 14.4V & no desulfation stage.

As to why I'd choose it over the WFCO, the WFCO converter used by Escape for their lead acid batteries was notorious for never going into the bulk stage, causing very long charging times to reach a full charge on the batteries. Until there are reviews that show the WFCO lithium converter actually does what it is suppose to, I'd stick with Progressive Dynamics.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #7

Quote:
This is designed for Lithium and there is a Jumper that activates the Lithium profile. No desulfation, and correct charge profile for the Lithium batteries. It will do AGM as well as Flooded, but the Jumper is on different pins for those and sets different charge profiles.
Thanks, I didn't see that.

Quote:
Have you installed the WFCO module and had a good experience with it?
Someone posted that it was recommended by ETI, and I bookmarked it.

I went with the dual 6 volt option, and plan on upgrading to a newer battery technology when I replace them.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #8

DC-DC Charger and Wiring

Thanks for all the input... very helpful. Given that I am installing a Renogy 20Amp.
MPPT Controller along with a total of 195W solar; and when driving I have the Renogy 20Amp DC-DC charger running; I don't really see the need to upgrade my
WFCO 8955PEC Dist. Centre. With 2 80Ah. LiFePO4 batteries in a 17 ft. trailer; no heavy appliances, other than a c-pap machine at night. Hope I have understood everyones input and reached an OK conclusion. Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #9

DC-DC Charger and Wiring

So I have installed the Renogy 20Amp DC-DC charger, and the Renogy 20Amp
Rover MPPT Controller. (as outlined above) But I found out something the hard way that may be helpful to someone else. I initially wired the D+ line and the
LC line from a 12V source in my trailer as that is where the DC-DC charger is.
I couldn't figure out why the charger would not turn on. Then I rewired the D+
(activation wire) and the LC wire to the positive terminal on the input side of the charger; each with their own switch mounted in the trailer. Now everything works perfectly. Seems the D+ and LC lines need the higher voltage of the input positive; vs. the lower voltage of the trailer. So it goes.. hope this helps someone else.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #10

The Wiring

One final note: I disconnected the 12V supply line coming from the vehicle through the plug and going directly to the batteries. Since I have a 20 Amp. DC to DC charger and a MPPT solar controller which are set for LiFePo4 batteries, I didn't want the vehicle sending 4-5 amps via the 12V line to these batteries all the time while I am driving.