Detachable Power Cord - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i keep my trailer plugged in at home and leave the cord at home i have a second cord always in the trailer that way i don't forget it at home.
So do I but not with my "good" cord. I use an extension cord and adapter. I don't need 30 amps at home.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
So do I but not with my "good" cord. I use an extension cord and adapter. I don't need 30 amps at home.

Ron
Actually at home batteries are plugged in our separate battery charger . When we are going away and we want to start the refrigerator a day or two ahead we Plug in the good cord which is 30 ft length and perfect to get to garage . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #43

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Here is a sneak preview of my hatch modified to allow the cord through. The hatch is big enough opened up to coil the cord inside. Cord stays attached to the trailer and the extra stays clean and dry. Also allows room in the hatch area for water hose and extension cord etc.
Another advantage of the detachable cord is there is no hole for ants and various other vermin to crawl through to enter the cabin of the trailer. With the detachable cord, they can crawl from the ground up the cord to the outside wall of the camper, but then there is no way for them to enter the cabin. That can be a real advantage here in the southeast where crawly, climby things abound.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Personally I like my cord attached to the trailer and not all 25 feet of it sitting in the mud. When I get my trailer I will take pictures of how I run my cord through a hatch so I can coil it up properly inside the trailer. Best features of both stock cord being attached and having a socket.
I am guessing that you mean “permanently” attached to the trailer.

Like Jim, I have had “fixed” cords. I have the detachable cord on my 5.0TA and I too would not go back. I really don’t understand your logic. First, if the power connection is not right next to your trailer then you could have all 25 feet “sitting in the mud.” Maybe more if the connection is more than 25 feet away and you have to use a second cord. Regardless, when we camp next to each other I will have no more of my detachable cord will be sitting in mud than your fixed cord because any unneeded length I coil and hang over the end of the bumper, which is directly adjacent to the input socket. And IMHO, it would be easier to coil a cord in an unenclosed space than into an enclosed space, even if its hatch is open. But the bottom line is that if it works for you and you perceive it as the best possible solution, then you are taking the proper approach.

As an aside, when I had one of my previous trailers with a fixed cord, it kept getting tangled with/over the converter. I purchased an appropriately sized rectangular (vinyl) wastebasket, and cut it down and wedged it in with the open end toward the mousehole. When I pushed the cord back in it couldn’t go every which way; it was confined inside the modified wastebasket.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Another advantage of the detachable cord is there is no hole for ants and various other vermin to crawl through to enter the cabin of the trailer. With the detachable cord, they can crawl from the ground up the cord to the outside wall of the camper, but then there is no way for them to enter the cabin. That can be a real advantage here in the southeast where crawly, climby things abound.
Not sure what crawly, climbs things to which you are referring. Florida is in the southeast and we don’t have anything like that......,,,..the gators eat all of them! :floor
Old 01-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #46

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Because I also do not need 30 amp at home and prefer to use a float charger for the battery I added a separate 15 amp 120v ac inlet and plug to run a dehumidifier.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #47

Just as a comparison, the photos below show the electrical hatch for a permanently attached power cord on our 2010 EggCamper (which does NOT keep ants and other crawly, climby things out of the cabin) versus the attachment port for the detachable power cord on our 2017 Escape 21' (which does). World of difference, and a big part of the reason why we went with the detachable cord on our Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09784.jpg   DSC09785.jpg   DSC09787.jpg  
Old 01-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
That was part of my reasoning to not cut a bigger access hole in trailer . Where it would be also was lower then previous RV's and they had a enclosed box sealed up from the RV interior. The simplest for me was to just cut my cord and add a detachable . Pat
Old 01-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am interested in getting the Smart Plug and would prefer that Escape install it instead of their brand of detachable cord. I still have not heard back from Escape as to whether they will do it. If the answer is no (which is likely) I have an additional issue that the detachable cord Escape uses (Conntek) is round and the Smart Plug will not fit the round pattern holes on the Conntek. I did confirm with Smartplug that it will fit the Conntek square configuration but I don' t know if Escape will even install that one. Has anyone with the Smartplug solved this other than adding a square base plate to cover the holes and then add the Smartplug?
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
I am interested in getting the Smart Plug and would prefer that Escape install it instead of their brand of detachable cord. I still have not heard back from Escape as to whether they will do it. If the answer is no (which is likely) I have an additional issue that the detachable cord Escape uses (Conntek) is round and the Smart Plug will not fit the round pattern holes on the Conntek. I did confirm with Smartplug that it will fit the Conntek square configuration but I don' t know if Escape will even install that one. Has anyone with the Smartplug solved this other than adding a square base plate to cover the holes and then add the Smartplug?
Good choice . The reason I had to add a square plate was to cover up a huge hole Escape had there . We were in 2013 . I think Robert was in 2015 and he didn't have a big hole like we did . He had asked me why I needed to do that and that was the reason. It is really simple to wire and install . You will just cut the cord and wire up . I bought another Smart Plug end and wired it up to my cut Escape cord . Gives you 2 then . The included cord is all sealed from factory and has a blue led light to tell you , you have power . The end I put on does not because it isn't a factory sealed cord , but that's ok with me so I get a spare and the cord doesn't go to waste . Pat
Old 01-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
If you intend to install the Smart Plug, you're better off with the Smart Plug brand receptacle as well as their cord. I'd just go with stock in such a case and add your Smart Plug later.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #52

I figure that's what I'll end up doing. I just don't know if the smart plug receptacle will cover the holes made for the round conntek receptacle.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Not sure what crawly, climbs things to which you are referring. Florida is in the southeast and we don’t have anything like that......,,,..the gators eat all of them! :floor
If gators eat fire ants, mud daubers and those nasty bronze wasps, I may have to get me some! Does Florida ever put them on sale?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #54

You can ask Escape not to install the stock power cord hatch as l have done. For the one test night before we leave the factory area I will just run the cord out the big hatch. This way you can put any size hole in the trailer you want.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
I figure that's what I'll end up doing. I just don't know if the smart plug receptacle will cover the holes made for the round conntek receptacle.
If the mousehole is the same size as mine, it's not a problem. If it's a huge one like Pat had on the 2013, you'll need a backer plate.

Quote:
You can ask Escape not to install the stock power cord hatch as l have done. For the one test night before we leave the factory area I will just run the cord out the big hatch. This way you can put any size hole in the trailer you want.
A hatch there is another mod, no? If there's no mousehole, there's no accessing a cord unless you also add a hatch. I think they'll be fine with the stock hole. Mine (2015) was half the diameter of Pat's.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #56

If there is no mouse hole you can put in your own brand of plug/jack/socket anywhere.(or hatch)

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
If there is no mouse hole you can put in your own brand of plug/jack/socket anywhere.(or hatch)
Their intent here is to add a Smart Plug detachable cord, not add a hatch. Of course you put a plug/hole wherever you like, but I doubt their intent is to cut a hole at all. With the stock mousehole, they don't have to.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #58

When are they going to come up with a 30 amp wireless power source for RVs like those little wireless cell phone chargers? Just back your camper into your site, get your rear bumper within 10 feet of the camp site power stand, and wallah, your camper magically has 30 amp power. That would be cool - unless you have an electronic medical device implanted in your body. May need to wrap yourself in aluminum foil!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #59

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
power cords

We have had 2 trailers with power cords attached .I don't see the need for the detachable one .We have one for our boat and its a pain to put it away ? We bought and extra 25 ft 30 amp power cord so we have about 50ft to get us back to the power pole . This would be something i would probably forget so I'm one Escapee that likes it attached . I guess if one has critters or bees, ants, etc getting into the camper then i might feel different but so far no bugs ,rats or other varmits .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #60

Exactly. I will be at Escape next week and will take some measurements. Smartplug has already sent me a template after I explained my dilemma. Great folks to work with!