Dexter Axel Serial Number - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #1
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Dexter Axle Serial Number

I have a question. Has anyone here ever been able to locate an axle serial number off their Dexter axle , who also has the spray foam underneath? I ask, because we had a small Dexter warranty job done recently - replaced an inner missing dust cap. Our RV shop (Dexter service center) took several pictures of engraved numbers on our axle when they did the work but turns out none of the numbers they got were the serial numbers!

Dexter, however was very gracious and replaced and paid for the dust cap but gave me 'the lecture' on how important it is to find and know the serial number for future reference, if we need future work done. Now I'm wondering if the engraved serial numbers could possibly be buried in the foam?? There are no axle serial tags to be found anywhere on either axle.

I wish Escape had recorded the axle serial numbers at the factory on the paper inside the wardrobe cabinet where all the other serial numbers are located! Hoping we won't need the axle serial number again... but thought I'd ask here in case some of you might be familiar with this?? Thanks in advance, -Bea

Bea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
The older Dexter axles had a metal tag attached. The newer axles had a easily seen vinyl tag with axel info. attached. They also had the serial number lightly laser etched into the square cross tube. If you axle beam has been spray foamed or heavily painted it may be hard to see. They are not metal stamped. I would call Dexter for exact location. Either front or back depending on how the axle is mounted on a specific trailer.
Eddie

elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
You could always throw back to Dester by asking Dexter what their records show for the axles sold to Escape and then use one of those numbers. I always get a kick out of the question "what is your account number" and I respond "You mean your number you assigned to my name? I thought that was your info, not mine"....
Old 06-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I had my axel replaced under warranty last Oct. The repair shop pulled the SN sticker off the axel and gave it to me to make my warranty claim. I believe they got it from the back side of the brake drum housing on top of the axel but I am not positive since customers were not allowed in the shop area. I have the spray foam insulation and it was not covered by the foam but did have some minor overspray droplets on it. Here is a picture of what it looks like. (And no, you can't use this number since this particular axel has already been replaced! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2AC72C79-DC37-40FE-B421-87A565EAAEC0.jpg (198.1 KB, 4 views)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Bea

Thank you Eddie, Jim and Arnie & Paula for your suggestions and advice!

Eddie, I think you are right, after numerous conversations with Escape and Dexter about the location of the number, it's probably etched into the square bar, but the paint or foam droplets is just probably making it very hard to find...

Jim, we already asked Dexter and they said the number has to be our number so no use looking at other numbers and Escape said they don't keep track of any axle serial numbers. .

Arnie and Paula, Will try to locate 'the back side of the brake drum housing on top of the axel'. Thanks! Good to know that you had your tags in place before ETI applied the spray foam. You can see from the picture I took of our axle, both our tags were removed (or fell off??) before our spray foam was applied due to all the spray foam droplets on the square area where the tag used to be.

We'll keep looking and thanks again for all your helpful comments! For those who are nimble enough, I would suggest trying to grab a picture of your own axle tags for your own records. (The location of our tags are supposed to be on the front passenger side of the axle.) Thanks, - Bea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 651D7390-5F92-466B-8122-7CF9AFBF4AC4.jpg (155.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You could always throw back to Dester by asking Dexter what their records show for the axles sold to Escape and then use one of those numbers.
If you use a number for an axle assembly which ended up on someone else's trailer, then that owner has an issue and uses the correct serial number, what happens to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always get a kick out of the question "what is your account number" and I respond "You mean your number you assigned to my name? I thought that was your info, not mine"....
If names were unique, that would work. With rare exceptions, they're not.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you use a number for an axle assembly which ended up on someone else's trailer, then that owner has an issue and uses the correct serial number, what happens to them?

If names were unique, that would work. With rare exceptions, they're not.
As far as I know I'm the only one with ny name at my address, but I have over 2 dozen account numbers registered at that address, some old and expired but my name is special, those numbers are not.,,,,
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
Found this in the Dexter axle book.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dexter axel serial number.pdf (219.5 KB, 21 views)
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM   #9
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Found this in the Dexter axle book.
Thank you elongest! Now to add 'chalk' to my shopping list and try and wiggle under there on our next trip out (whenever that will be)...to find that elusive engraved number. This says rear, center...so will start there. Thanks! -Bea