Dexter Axle Serial Number - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 12:02 AM   #1
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Dexter Axle Serial Number

I have a question. Has anyone here ever been able to locate an axle serial number off their Dexter axle , who also has the spray foam underneath? I ask, because we had a small Dexter warranty job done recently - replaced an inner missing dust cap. Our RV shop (Dexter service center) took several pictures of engraved numbers on our axle when they did the work but turns out none of the numbers they got were the serial numbers!

Dexter, however was very gracious and replaced and paid for the dust cap but gave me 'the lecture' on how important it is to find and know the serial number for future reference, if we need future work done. Now I'm wondering if the engraved serial numbers could possibly be buried in the foam?? There are no axle serial tags to be found anywhere on either axle.

I wish Escape had recorded the axle serial numbers at the factory on the paper inside the wardrobe cabinet where all the other serial numbers are located! Hoping we won't need the axle serial number again... but thought I'd ask here in case some of you might be familiar with this?? Thanks in advance, -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
The older Dexter axles had a metal tag attached. The newer axles had a easily seen vinyl tag with axel info. attached. They also had the serial number lightly laser etched into the square cross tube. If you axle beam has been spray foamed or heavily painted it may be hard to see. They are not metal stamped. I would call Dexter for exact location. Either front or back depending on how the axle is mounted on a specific trailer.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You could always throw back to Dester by asking Dexter what their records show for the axles sold to Escape and then use one of those numbers. I always get a kick out of the question "what is your account number" and I respond "You mean your number you assigned to my name? I thought that was your info, not mine"....
Old 06-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I had my axel replaced under warranty last Oct. The repair shop pulled the SN sticker off the axel and gave it to me to make my warranty claim. I believe they got it from the back side of the brake drum housing on top of the axel but I am not positive since customers were not allowed in the shop area. I have the spray foam insulation and it was not covered by the foam but did have some minor overspray droplets on it. Here is a picture of what it looks like. (And no, you can't use this number since this particular axel has already been replaced! )
Attached Thumbnails
2AC72C79-DC37-40FE-B421-87A565EAAEC0.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Bea

Thank you Eddie, Jim and Arnie & Paula for your suggestions and advice!

Eddie, I think you are right, after numerous conversations with Escape and Dexter about the location of the number, it's probably etched into the square bar, but the paint or foam droplets is just probably making it very hard to find...

Jim, we already asked Dexter and they said the number has to be our number so no use looking at other numbers and Escape said they don't keep track of any axle serial numbers. .

Arnie and Paula, Will try to locate 'the back side of the brake drum housing on top of the axel'. Thanks! Good to know that you had your tags in place before ETI applied the spray foam. You can see from the picture I took of our axle, both our tags were removed (or fell off??) before our spray foam was applied due to all the spray foam droplets on the square area where the tag used to be.

We'll keep looking and thanks again for all your helpful comments! For those who are nimble enough, I would suggest trying to grab a picture of your own axle tags for your own records. (The location of our tags are supposed to be on the front passenger side of the axle.) Thanks, - Bea
Attached Thumbnails
651D7390-5F92-466B-8122-7CF9AFBF4AC4.jpg  
Old 06-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You could always throw back to Dester by asking Dexter what their records show for the axles sold to Escape and then use one of those numbers.
If you use a number for an axle assembly which ended up on someone else's trailer, then that owner has an issue and uses the correct serial number, what happens to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always get a kick out of the question "what is your account number" and I respond "You mean your number you assigned to my name? I thought that was your info, not mine"....
If names were unique, that would work. With rare exceptions, they're not.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you use a number for an axle assembly which ended up on someone else's trailer, then that owner has an issue and uses the correct serial number, what happens to them?

If names were unique, that would work. With rare exceptions, they're not.
As far as I know I'm the only one with ny name at my address, but I have over 2 dozen account numbers registered at that address, some old and expired but my name is special, those numbers are not.,,,,
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Found this in the Dexter axle book.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dexter axel serial number.pdf (219.5 KB, 77 views)
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #9
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Found this in the Dexter axle book.
Thank you elongest! Now to add 'chalk' to my shopping list and try and wiggle under there on our next trip out (whenever that will be)...to find that elusive engraved number. This says rear, center...so will start there. Thanks! -Bea
Old 08-06-2022, 01:39 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19
Etched Serial Number found on our 19 trailer.

Very difficult. Had to scrape away foam insulation over spray and take the rear axle photo with a mirror. Was located on the rear side of the square axle tube left of center.

I'm attaching a photo... making out the actual number requires zooming in on the image so I'm not sure what the forum's compression will do to its resolution.

The other interesting thing, just like the stickers, the etched I/N (S/N) numbers on both axles matched each other. Not unique. We'll see how our claim proceeds. And in case someone from ETI reads this, The Dexter documentation says they provide stickers with Axle information for the builder to remove and place in the trailer handbook... Never found ours.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Axle- Copy 3.jpg  
Edgefiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefiddle View Post
I'm attaching a photo... making out the actual number requires zooming in on the image so I'm not sure what the forum's compression will do to its resolution.
121277407? It's a challenge to read, the image seems to have come through okay (1600 x 1187 pixels, but only 305 kB).

Quote:
The other interesting thing, just like the stickers, the etched I/N (S/N) numbers on both axles matched each other. Not unique.
The identical number is strange - is it an order number, rather than a serial number?

Quote:
And in case someone from ETI reads this, The Dexter documentation says they provide stickers with Axle information for the builder to remove and place in the trailer handbook... Never found ours.
I've never heard of anyone getting Dexter axle stickers with their Escape trailer documentation, but there is usually a sticker still on the axle assembly (on the square tube).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

I've never heard of anyone getting Dexter axle stickers with their Escape trailer documentation, but there is usually a sticker still on the axle assembly (on the square tube).
My replacement axle came with the sticker on the axle.

It also has a "Unique ID" 11 digit number which would appear to indicate that each axle does have an identification # that isn't shared.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19!!
Has anyone replaced their Dexter axle lately? We were told today that it is bent. I understand we can most likely get it replaced under the 5 year warranty. We purchased it in May 2020 and are the original owners. They guy at the trailer shop said the axle was unique to the trailer and was a "special" axle I think because they saw the "unique" ID number. I called Escape and they told me it's a regular torsion Dexter axle and to get in touch with Dexter. We leave on a 4 month trip the 1st week of March. Suggestions?
Chowdagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdagirl View Post
Has anyone replaced their Dexter axle lately? We were told today that it is bent. I understand we can most likely get it replaced under the 5 year warranty. We purchased it in May 2020 and are the original owners. They guy at the trailer shop said the axle was unique to the trailer and was a "special" axle I think because they saw the "unique" ID number. I called Escape and they told me it's a regular torsion Dexter axle and to get in touch with Dexter. We leave on a 4 month trip the 1st week of March. Suggestions?
My suggestion would be to go to a different trailer shop, he’s either stupid or a liar trying to work you.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:42 PM   #15
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Crawl under the trailer, take a picture of the axle label, and call Dexter. Dexter will tell you what additional information is needed and the course of action.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:00 PM   #16

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Here is our serial number of the rear axle on out 2016 21C. Its centered on the rear of the axle and you might have to sand off some rust to see it (upside down... sorry).
Attached Thumbnails
DexterAxleSerialNumber.jpg  
Old 02-09-2024, 05:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19!!
Yes that what I thought. Thank you all for the comments!
Chowdagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:12 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19
My story was simpler. Started the process after noticing uneven wear on tires. After finding the SN on my axles, I contacted Escape who told me to contact Dexter directly. Which I did and after about two weeks they got back to me. In that interim, I had taken my trailer to an RV shop that had experience in such things to verify that the axle was at fault. Turned out to be underinflated tires, and the the axle was straight within specs. Bought a Tire Minder System... When Dexter did get back to me they were stand up and offered to ship me two new axles with no further proof. However I told them that the axles weren't the problem and to kindly provide them to the next customer who called. So I didn't find Escape's response unreasonable as Dexter was apparently in a position to deal with the issue. Hope your experience turns out OK and you find a good shop to look over your trailer! Ed
Edgefiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Dexter label

We took a picture when the trailer was new. Recommend everyone do this before you drive away. Maybe ETI can help you out with the serial numbers.

Dexter replaced our front defective axle within year 1. Working with them was good. Just wish the axle had been right from the start. There are lots of worn tires and defective axle posts here.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
dexter_axle_label_IMG_1082.jpg  
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We took a picture when the trailer was new. Recommend everyone do this before you drive away.
Great advice

I didn't think to do it at pickup but did catch my labels before they became illegible and compiled the attached reference sheet for my documents archive in case of need.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ESCAPE TRAILER AXLE TAGS.pdf (692.5 KB, 14 views)