Dexter axle warranty 2nd owner? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0
Dexter axle warranty 2nd owner?

Has anyone had Dexter furnish new axles under warranty if they are not the original owner? Not sure why it matters but the warranty clearly states only original owner are covered under the warranty.
hitectoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How would Dexter know if you are not the first or second owner? If it is within the warranty period seems to me would be the factor.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
fyi, I moved this thread to Owners Helping Each Other as that seemed more appropriate than the For Sale section...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How would Dexter know if you are not the first or second owner? If it is within the warranty period seems to me would be the factor.
Personal Integrity in-play

Warranty only to original owner is a common thing and clearly a manufacturer's prerogative for whatever reason at all.

It's also a manufacturer's prerogative to extend a 'consumer satisfaction' offer outside of their warranty terms if asked upon full forthright disclosure of the situation.

Just sayin' ....
Old 07-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
as far as 'how', most warranty service requires submitting proof of purchase.

now, if these are the original axles on the trailer, there's some question as to whether it is the trailer manufacturer who should honor that warranty, or the component maker (Dexter, in this case), that can go either way depending on both parties and their warranties and such. Certainly, on a automobile warranty, its the car maker, NOT the component maker.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 5.0
Owners that posted here with Dexter axle problems said that ETI referred them to Dexter for issues.
hitectoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Has anybody ever read the manual that came with their trailer?
Old 07-21-2022, 05:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Dexter asks for proof of purchase. We sent them our invoice from ETI. If you are the 2nd owner I do not see how you can do that. We replaced a Dexter axle on our crappy Casita, cost $600 including shipping. Not a deal breaker but not cheap either. The Escape axles are the same as Casita axles.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Dexter asks for proof of purchase. We sent them our invoice from ETI. If you are the 2nd owner I do not see how you can do that. We replaced a Dexter axle on our crappy Casita, cost $600 including shipping. Not a deal breaker but not cheap either. The Escape axles are the same as Casita axles.
Dexter asked me for a photo of the info label on the axle. So there would be a conflict in the names.

On the other hand their warranty service was outstanding, no questions asked so I'd contact them and see where it goes.

Ron

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Ron,

I guess I should get more specific. In 2018 we bought our brand new Escape 19, in 2019 we found we had a bent axle. Dexter replaced it with proof of purchase, photos of the oddly worn tires, and they graciously sent it free, shipping included, to our RV trailer shop of choice. In 2016 our then owned crappy Casita had a rigid axle with horrible towing characteristics ( the trailer was more than 14 years old). The axle no longer flexed and we decided new would improve the suspension. It cost us $600 for a new axle including shipping direct from Dexter built to our specs. We never did find a tag on that old axle and had to measure from scratch. The Escape and the Casita are both Dexter #10 axles. I did not mean to indicate that you could get a free Casita axle if you wrote Dexter that you had a failed axle.