Dim LED lights (when switch is off) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Dim LED lights (when switch is off)

Lindy and I are currently near Dallas, TX on our way south and west -- looking for warm weather.

This morning we found that 1/2 of the LED light over the bed would not shut off. That half stays on in a very dim state -- like it is an LED night light. I have taken the bulb off and re-seated it, but no joy.

My guess is that it is a bad switch in the fixture, but was wondering if any of you have run into this situation, and if so, what the fix was.

Thanks for any help.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Has to be a bum switch to deliver reduced voltage that makes it stay on dim - same method a dimmer works. Probably need to replace that fixture.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
It's a faulty switch...I will have a replacement fixture in the mail tomorrow for you

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

Trailer: former owner-2014 5.0 TA #4 TV-Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Lindy and I are currently near Dallas, TX on our way south and west -- looking for warm weather.

This morning we found that 1/2 of the LED light over the bed would not shut off. That half stays on in a very dim state -- like it is an LED night light. I have taken the bulb off and re-seated it, but no joy.

My guess is that it is a bad switch in the fixture, but was wondering if any of you have run into this situation, and if so, what the fix was.

Thanks for any help.

Leon
We did have that happen to ours and Escape sent us a new one right away.
rscovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
It's a faulty switch...I will have a replacement fixture in the mail tomorrow for you

Reace
Now THAT is customer service that cannot be beat.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:

Reace
Now that is customer service if I have ever heard of it. For anyone out there looking at other brands of trailers, please take note. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:

Reace
Reace,

Thanks so much. No hurry on the replacement -- we won't be home for a month or so. If it is there when we get back, I will replace it in the spring.

best,

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I had the exact same thing happen, on the same fixture in my 21' (the one over the bed). I took the fixture loose from the ceiling and found a little bit of black "gooey" residue on the switch contacts. That stuff, whatever it was, was shorting out one of the switch contact pairs causing the light to stay on. The light was dim due to the "poor" connection provided by this material. I tried to discover the source of the stuff, but, was unable to come up with where it came from. A guess might be some glue seeping down from above since the switch is right underneath the hole in the headliner for the wires. Perhaps more likely is residual contamination from manufacture of the fixture. What seems odd is that it took several months to cause a problem. As if the material had just arrived at that place.
At any rate, whatever it was came off easily with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. Fixed the problem.
keager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post
I had the exact same thing happen, on the same fixture in my 21' (the one over the bed). I took the fixture loose from the ceiling and found a little bit of black "gooey" residue on the switch contacts. That stuff, whatever it was, was shorting out one of the switch contact pairs causing the light to stay on. The light was dim due to the "poor" connection provided by this material. I tried to discover the source of the stuff, but, was unable to come up with where it came from. A guess might be some glue seeping down from above since the switch is right underneath the hole in the headliner for the wires. Perhaps more likely is residual contamination from manufacture of the fixture. What seems odd is that it took several months to cause a problem. As if the material had just arrived at that place.
At any rate, whatever it was came off easily with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. Fixed the problem.
Good find! I bet Reace will give that info back to the manufacturer.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com