Dinette Floor Not Level? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2022, 11:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
This reference escapes me!
How do you know the trailer is level?
Old 05-05-2022, 12:31 AM   #22
GPS

Trailer: 17A 2021
If you would not mind could you please post a photo of your shims in action? I have the same issue with my Springfield set up. Thanks
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS View Post
If you would not mind could you please post a photo of your shims in action? I have the same issue with my Springfield set up. Thanks
Here's my modification:
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220430_121645879.jpg  
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:27 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ah! Good question!

We use the bubble level on the side by the electric lift switches.

To your point, that is certainly not a certified level but at least gives us a consistent reference. I'm clueless as to what would be the reference for the trailer... maybe a frame section? or floor?

I will say it was obvious the table was tilted relative to other features in the trailer.. the window frames is a good example... countertop another..
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I used the window frames as a visual reference, didn't even bother to check the level.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Good question and not easy to answer. Depends on what reference point being used. I'd say that the reference point would have to be the frame. But, as has been pointed out, you might get different readings depending on the stabilizers being either up or down.

I've done the level thing on the interior many times. I've got a pretty good eye for level and plumb. If nothing catches my eye then I'm not going to get too excited about it.

I designed and built a post and beam house. Just after I'd finished it my father was sitting at my dining room table and I saw him leaning back in his chair and moving his head around a bit. "What are you doing," I asked. "Just checking to see that the posts are all in alignment with each other." Fortunately they were. I still find myself eyeballing the edges of items to see if they are in alignment. For the trailer I'm a bit more forgiving.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:51 AM   #27
GPS

Trailer: 17A 2021
Thanks.
GPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
On the Level

Im not inferring that your table is not level or that it is level. However, here’s how we level up.
Back into the camp space till the outside levels look pretty good. Plug the electrical in to make sure the EMS is happy. When the microwave clock comes on, we know the power is good. At that time we put a small torpedo level on the flour about 18 inches inside of the door and check for a level floor. Since the bed on the 21 is in line with the trailer we make sure the head end is level or a little high. Then we unhook and put the stabilizers down. Our table is on a folding base with 4 leveling feet. So when it’s set up, it’s level if the floor is level. Can’t say much about pencils except mine are either mechanical with a pocket clip or hexagonal so they don’t roll. None of them have much left for erasers cause I make a fair number of mistakes. Love my Berol Automatic with .5mm lead that my brother gave me.
Best of luck camping
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
69489FBB-4C99-4FB6-9D28-2096B17A5643.jpg  
Old 05-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post

At that time we put a small torpedo level on the flour about 18 inches inside of the door and check for a level floor.

Iowa Dave
I'm betting that if you do that at several locations on the floor you'll get different indications of level. At least that's been g my experience. And I put zero faith in the factory supplied levels, they can move and they're only as accurate as the person who stuck them on.

Ron
Old 05-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #30

I don’t doubt that Ron. Our stuck on levels are pretty close.
When we got the trailer my wife tried a few spots on the floor for the level and found one she liked with respect to the head of the bed and that’s where she puts the level. We’ve never been real exacting about the bed.

We were more concerned when we used to tent camp. “Does it look level to you? “I don’t know, I guess it will be ok.” Remember those days? The great thing about corded poles, pop up tents is you can set them up and move them around to find the best spot. It didn’t use to be that way with the old wall tents, pup tents, cabin tents, umbrella tents etc.

I have a new Retro Boy Scout Baker tent that I’m going to get out and try one of these days but have held off because it will probably take a crane to stand me up in the morning.

I was putting a tree guard on a young bur oak in the yard yesterday. Had to lay down to get it the way I wanted it at the base. Neighbor yelled at me to make sure I was ok when he saw what looked like a beached whale on turfgrass.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don’t doubt that Ron. Our stuck on levels are pretty close.
When we got the trailer my wife tried a few spots on the floor for the level and found one she liked with respect to the head of the bed and that’s where she puts the level. We’ve never been real exacting about the bed.

We were more concerned when we used to tent camp. “Does it look level to you? “I don’t know, I guess it will be ok.” Remember those days?
Iowa Dave
Good one, choose the level that suits you most.

After 30 odd years of sleeping on boats I'm probably a little more tolerant of being a bit off level. Except for head down, hate that.

Ron
Old 05-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I use a magnetic torpedo level on the frame under the loft, an advantage of the 5.0TA. Across when reversing into the spot, then front to back while using the jacks.

What I like about the stick on bubble levels is that if they show out of level it is real easy to twist them so they show level, easier that pulling forward, adding a leveling block, then backing up again. [emoji16] This said, I would never have them on a trailer. In the 19 we used a spirit level on the counter top.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
My table is the same way. I'm going to shim it so it is "level" relative to the bench seats. I'm not that worried if it is truly level.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:55 PM   #34

I found that when the Springfield was newer i found periodic checking and tightening the pedestal clamps resulted in helping stabilize the table and hold it nice and level. After a year or so I have done little to adjust as it seems to have settled in to a good, tight fit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-05-2022, 11:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I found that when the Springfield was newer i found periodic checking and tightening the pedestal clamps resulted in helping stabilize the table and hold it nice and level. After a year or so I have done little to adjust as it seems to have settled in to a good, tight fit.
Thanks for that tip. Maybe I'll hold off for a bit and see what happens. Its the only gripe I have so far..
Old 05-05-2022, 11:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Adjust to quite tight, while keeping the ability to actually tighten.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:28 AM   #37

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
I like it level enough so the interior doors do not move by themselves and our heads are high if anything.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #38

Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I like it level enough so the interior doors do not move by themselves and our heads are high if anything.
AZjack
Hello Jack
This spring, while dewinterizing, I discovered that my water pump would not. Strainer basket I thought, I could even see a couple defects in the plastic that looked like a crack. New basket, still no water. But the pump ran smooth and there didn’t seem to be any play or bad sounds. Knowing about diaphragms from working on sprayer pumps for a number of years I researched the sureflo and found I could get a kit but opted instead for a new pump from an Amazon seller for $63 + - to my door.

Thank you very much for relocating the pump to under the refrigerator and making changing it out a breeze. Four screws, two wires and two hand tightened fittings. Easy.

I was so excited to try it , I just twisted the the wires together so I could try the new pump. It primed up in just a few seconds and the water started to flow. Then I went back and made a proper connection. The old pump, your original, had apparently been getting a little tired over the years because this new one is pumping about twice the volume that the old one did by last fall. I think I’ll get a $15 diaphragm for the old one and have a spare.
Thanks again,

Hope you’re enjoying the 5.0TA and that Nancy and Murphy are getting ready for a good camping season.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-06-2022, 11:28 AM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Shearwater - I followed your lead and used wooden shims between the sub-base and the pedestal top. It took about 3/8" to correct!

I looked for track slides with less slop but so far they all seem quite expensive. If anyone else found an option in the price range of a drawer slide, please share.

Mike
Hi: Shiny... I've never noticed. Must be because people say I'm half a bubble off of plumb!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote