Dinette problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
TMH

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Dinette problem

We just received our new 5.0. Very excited until we tried to get into the dinette. After reading about it on Forum we requested the slider go front to back to allow easier access into the dinette. This is a U-dinette with Springfield pedestal. Unfortunately it does not slide towards rear of dinette —it slides forward into the aisle, thereby making it almost impossible to get into the dinette at all. After numerous calls & emails we have gotten absolutely nowhere with Escape. I was told it was installed correctly. Any ideas?
TMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Sounds like are going to have to get under the table and mount it the way you like it.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Is there enough room to spin it 180 degrees?
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Don’t understand why you chose that slide option. We have same pedestal with side to side install and it works perfect. You will have to remove table top from slide and either move slide forward on the table or turn it 90° and remount. Sorry for your problem.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Don’t understand why you chose that slide option. We have same pedestal with side to side install and it works perfect. You will have to remove table top from slide and either move slide forward on the table or turn it 90° and remount. Sorry for your problem.
I disagree. After taking delivery, I switched mine from side to side to front to back. Cannot use the rear bench on the U-shaped dinette if you don’t. I found the side to side annoying when my spouse would accidentally push the table in my direction.

There is one screw on either end of one of the slides which stops the table from sliding too far. I believe the problem can be addressed by moving the stop screws, or the slides themselves. The table should slide far enough back in order to get into the bench, and then far enough forward to slip behind the table. If ETI said it was installed it correctly, then they should be able to explain why the OP cannot get into the side benches. Obviously, it is not correct.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #6
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I disagree. After taking delivery, I switched mine from side to side to front to back. Cannot use the rear bench on the U-shaped dinette if you don’t. I found the side to side annoying when my spouse would accidentally push the table in my direction.

There is one screw on either end of one of the slides which stops the table from sliding too far. I believe the problem can be addressed by moving the stop screws, or the slides themselves. The table should slide far enough back in order to get into the bench, and then far enough forward to slip behind the table. If ETI said it was installed it correctly, then they should be able to explain why the OP cannot get into the side benches. Obviously, it is not correct.
Front to back made more sense to me- the table could stay pushed farther back towards rear of dinette because it’s usually just the 2 of us. And it would allow easier access into the dinette without having to move the table & disturb the person already seated with hot coffee, etc. So yes — I think we will remove table top, remove the slide & re-position it in order to achieve our goal. And yes, the table turns but not all the way around, as it hits the counter extension on driver side (we had 2 put in dinette). Hopefully we can fix on our own, because that’s how it seems we are...
Old 04-29-2021, 10:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMH View Post
We just received our new 5.0. Very excited until we tried to get into the dinette. After reading about it on Forum we requested the slider go front to back to allow easier access into the dinette. This is a U-dinette with Springfield pedestal. Unfortunately it does not slide towards rear of dinette —it slides forward into the aisle, thereby making it almost impossible to get into the dinette at all. After numerous calls & emails we have gotten absolutely nowhere with Escape. I was told it was installed correctly. Any ideas?
Hear your pain . Cut our table down but left the across side to make into a bed the same . Also installed the Springfield . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Well, apparently then your 5.0 with u shaped dinette is different than mine. I have frequently sat people on back cushion with no problem. Perhaps my friends are just anorexic. My spouse and I are both fine with side motion of table. We hate the table top but motion is fine.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:47 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Noble Nest" 2016 Escape 21
It can work...

We have the same set up in our 2016 21'. And it has worked great! Usually just the wife and I at the dinette so we push the table back to allow maximum access. Probably stops about 3" or less from the back cushion. If we have the grandkids seated it slides a bit toward the galley to allow room for them. Also have a custom booster cushion for them to get at the right height. Sounds like an installation issue alright but I'm sure it can be fixed.
kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo View Post
We have the same set up in our 2016 21'. And it has worked great! Usually just the wife and I at the dinette so we push the table back to allow maximum access. Probably stops about 3" or less from the back cushion. If we have the grandkids seated it slides a bit toward the galley to allow room for them. Also have a custom booster cushion for them to get at the right height. Sounds like an installation issue alright but I'm sure it can be fixed.
Thank you for your support. Curious if you installed it this way or did ETI?
Old 04-30-2021, 08:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Well, apparently then your 5.0 with u shaped dinette is different than mine. I have frequently sat people on back cushion with no problem. Perhaps my friends are just anorexic. My spouse and I are both fine with side motion of table. We hate the table top but motion is fine.
It is my understanding that original Escape 5.0TAs with U-shaped dinettes were produced with front-to-back slides. The first 5.0TA I saw was the second one off the line; it’s table slid front to back. Sometime in 2014 or 2015 they switched to side-to-side. When I took delivery, it was side-to-side and I was expecting front-to-back. As I said, I found it annoying when eating to suddenly have the table moved toward me by an inadvertent push by my spouse sitting on the opposite size. And when I took delivery there was approximately 3-inches between the table top and the cushion on the rear bench. Not being Gumby or a double amputee, there was no possible way I or anyone else with two legs could sit on the rear bench. So perhaps ETI realized the there was a problem and started mounting the side-by-side tables further forward. Mine was so far to the rear that I could easily get into the bench without sliding the table when it was centered. But if you can use the back side of the table and the OP cannot, it would seem that ETI mounted his differently than yours. I’m happy that you like the side to side motion and think that the front to back makes no sense. I am just the opposite. But isn’t that why ETI allows it’s customers to choose different options, and isn’t that why so many owners post photos and explanations of their modifications? We do not all think alike or want the same things.

BTW, my Gumby or double amputee comment is no more sarcastic than your anorexic comment. My first post merely stated that I disagreed with your point of view. It was not sardonic in any way.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #12
TMH

Quote:
It is my understanding that original Escape 5.0TAs with U-shaped dinettes were produced with front-to-back slides. The first 5.0TA I saw was the second one off the line; it’s table slid front to back. Sometime in 2014 or 2015 they switched to side-to-side. When I took delivery, it was side-to-side and I was expecting front-to-back. As I said, I found it annoying when eating to suddenly have the table moved toward me by an inadvertent push by my spouse sitting on the opposite size. And when I took delivery there was approximately 3-inches between the table top and the cushion on the rear bench. Not being Gumby or a double amputee, there was no possible way I or anyone else with two legs could sit on the rear bench. So perhaps ETI realized the there was a problem and started mounting the side-by-side tables further forward. Mine was so far to the rear that I could easily get into the bench without sliding the table when it was centered. But if you can use the back side of the table and the OP cannot, it would seem that ETI mounted his differently than yours. I’m happy that you like the side to side motion and think that the front to back makes no sense. I am just the opposite. But isn’t that why ETI allows it’s customers to choose different options, and isn’t that why so many owners post photos and explanations of their modifications? We do not all think alike or want the same things.

BTW, my Gumby or double amputee comment is no more sarcastic than your anorexic comment. My first post merely stated that I disagreed with your point of view. It was not sardonic in any way.
I probably should clarify that with the table pushed as far as it will go towards the rear of dinette, the front of table is even with the front of the side benches. There is soooo much room if you are sitting on the back bench that the table is actually too far away from me to eat comfortably. A large person would have no problem sitting in the back. Unfortunately, if you are not Gumby (love it) you can’t get into the dinette & therefore can’t get to the back bench. The table only slides forward to the galley but then hits the counter extension on the driver side, leaving it at an awkward angle.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #13
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Is there enough room to spin it 180 degrees?
Not easily- have to turn, slide, turn, pull & then it hits the counter extension on the driver side in dinette. I’m open to any ideas!
Old 04-30-2021, 08:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
My guess is that they have it mounted 180 degrees from where it should be - it slides more to the front instead of to the back. You may have to take the top off to fix the problem.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:05 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
FWIW, I'm really happy with the 2-way Dicor slider I installed along with a Springfield pedestal for our U shaped dinette in our E21... the slider can be locked on either or both axis, so it doesn't move around when you're eating (or traveling).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote