Disable DC in 3 way refrigerator? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2023, 01:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Disable DC in 3 way refrigerator?

Is there any way to disable the 12v DC in our 2022 refrigerator? We do not want to take the chance on draining the batteries..... again. The propane alert is sufficient for our needs.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
You still need 12 volts to run the control board however there should be a way to disconnect the 12 volt heating element that creates the cooling. As long as disconnecting the element does not make the control board become stupid. Like when you run out of a colour ink on your printer and it won’t print in black if you life depended on it.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Is there any way to disable the 12v DC in our 2022 refrigerator? We do not want to take the chance on draining the batteries..... again.
If the (IMO good) suggestion to try disconnecting the 12V heating element doesn't 'play nice' with the control board, would an alarm connected in parallel to the heating element circuit meet your need (provide an audible alarm when power to the element is activated)?

Just brainstorming, I realize this would not be an 'un-attended / automatic' solution.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
When I picked up my 2017 21 C the 12 volt system was disabled as they were having issues with it at that time. It was a simple blade connector that was unplugged. It worked fine on ac and propane. Look at the manual and located the 12 volt feed that is connected to the heater element I’m sorry , I’ve sold the trailer, else I’d send you a picture.

Not sure if you have the same fridge that I did in 2017
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:05 PM   #5
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Is there any way to disable the 12v DC in our 2022 refrigerator? We do not want to take the chance on draining the batteries..... again. The propane alert is sufficient for our needs.

If you have a Dometic with AUTO mode, Put it in AUTO. That mode defaults to AC. If the trailer is unplugged from shore power, the frig will switch to GAS. The only way, at least on my RM2454, to run on DC is to turn AUTO off and then press the DC button. At that point it will run on DC only until you push the button to put it back on AUTO. They really should change AUTO to AC/GAS. For me it would be easier to remember.
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
On my refrigerator auto goes AC-Propane-DC, which is why I want to disable the DC step. Based upon my experience it doesn't take very long to discharge the batteries.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape
The refrigerator will default to 12v if it is plugged in and the 120v selector circuit fails. This is a good backup feature that won't drain the batteries because the trailer is on shore power and charging the battery. When unplugged it switches to gas.

I don't know of any way to change the selection sequence without messing with the main board. You can disable 12v by disconnecting the 12v electrode that runs from the board to the flue. I don’t know what complications might arise.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
There’s a fuse on the 12v wire to the heating element. It’s in the back of the fridge and it’s a 30amp. Just pull that fuse and the rest of the fridge will work, or it should, you test yours.

I don’t know how it will affect your auto mode, so I’d test that too…. After pulling the 30amp fuse.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
There’s a fuse on the 12v wire to the heating element. It’s in the back of the fridge and it’s a 30amp. Just pull that fuse and the rest of the fridge will work, or it should, you test yours.

I don’t know how it will affect your auto mode, so I’d test that too…. After pulling the 30amp fuse.
Mine was pulled in 2017 and fridge worked fine in auto mode
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote