Disc Furnance vs Oil filled - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Disc Furnance vs Oil filled

After recommendations from a previous post, we purchased an "Original" Pelonis disc furnace (Actually labelled Pelko now)
Tested it out on a 40 degree night and it is indeed quiet, not silent but night and day compared to the Atwood cranking on all night, which kept us awake.
The catch 22 as most have noted is ventilation, we cranked the Maxfan open about half way and opened the kitchen window a couple of inches. Laying in bed wondering if this is enough, so opened them a bit more, however, seemed to be fighting a losing battle with the cold air poring in.
My question is - do those small oil filled heaters also require ventilation? I assuming not so much as there is no combustion. With the extra insulation/thermal window/spray foam package, I'm surprised our 19 gets as cold as it does, on the plus side, it stays relatively cool on hot days.
Most of our camping since we've had the Escape has been at higher altitudes, hence the cold nights.
Some may say just rug up and tough it out, which we've done boon docking but you end up with a sore throat breathing cold air all night and it's really dry at 6000ft.
Comments on the oil heater option please?
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The heaters do not require ventilation, it is the occupants inside breathing that causes the need to ventilate. Condensation will occur regardless of the type of heat unless you ventilate. I installed a wall type bath room heater under the front dinette in my 19- see here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...19-a-1657.html
which is very quiet. Did the same to my 21' also. Eliminates the need to carrying around an extra piece and the cords. For storage purposes I leave on a radiator type "on" to keep the unit from freezing. Some even have "freeze settings" to come on when the temperature drops.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #3

Electric heaters do not require ventilation for combustion - because there is none. A little ventilation is usually a good idea to let water vapor (from your breathing) escape. We usually open the MaxxFan and the kitchen window a bit.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The heaters do not require ventilation, it is the occupants inside breathing that causes the need to ventilate. Condensation will occur regardless of the type of heat unless you ventilate. I installed a wall type bath room heater under the front dinette in my 19- see here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...19-a-1657.html
which is very quiet. Did the same to my 21' also. Eliminates the need to carrying around an extra piece and the cords. For storage purposes I leave on a radiator type "on" to keep the unit from freezing. Some even have "freeze settings" to come on when the temperature drops.
Thanks Jim, I'm thinking I might put one of those Broan electric heaters you use where the microwave lives, we have yet to use it. The dinette wouldn't work as it's made up as a bed most of the time. I'd just install a false panel to mount it, but do the vents direct the heat down? Up towards the vinyl ceiling would not be good.
Bcdonaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I use a Pelonis and all I do is crack the vent a bit above the bed and have never been cold nor had condensation. But I generally do not camp in temps below 30 degrees, and for me, temps in the 30s are relatively rare.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcdonaher View Post
Thanks Jim, I'm thinking I might put one of those Broan electric heaters you use where the microwave lives, we have yet to use it. The dinette wouldn't work as it's made up as a bed most of the time. I'd just install a false panel to mount it, but do the vents direct the heat down? Up towards the vinyl ceiling would not be good.
The vent reflects the heat downward, there are several models also.
Amazon.com: Broan Model 170 Wall Heater, 500/1000 Watt 120 VAC, White Painted Grille: Home Improvement