DIY leveling ramp for parking pad - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
I've put in a gravel parking pad on the side of the house to store our 21NE in-between trips but it's sloped a bit too much side to side so I can't just use our Andersen levelers. Needs another 2 or 3 inches to level.

Anyways am I overthinking this and just need to screw a stack of long 2x12 pressure treated boards together that are long enough there isn't any chance the trailer rolls off? Or is there a better solution?

I have a gravel drive way. I used the 2" 12"X12" paver blocks. Can move them around. Just build the gravel up as a ramp. But, you should tamp the whole area down. Even if it just using your vehicle after a good rain. Pic of the steep drive part I had to use to do work on mine, near house for Heavy tool(table saw & chop box) use.
Attached Thumbnails
Home1.jpg  
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 21NE
6" Retaining wall blocks or 2" 12"x12" paver blocks sounds like a great idea too. Especially since they can be partially buried. Thanks!
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 21
One can also get a length of telephone pole n use it for the retaining wall. Will last a very long time n stay in place
Old 04-08-2022, 04:08 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
6" Retaining wall blocks or 2" 12"x12" paver blocks sounds like a great idea too. Especially since they can be partially buried. Thanks!
While it might be tempting to get the thinner patio blocks so you could adjust the height, a half-buried retaining wall block will be a lot more stable than a stack of thin ones, even if one or more of the thinner blocks was to be buried.

Thin paver blocks are often made of a lower grade of concrete than retaining wall blocks. They are also more prone to breaking just because they are thinner.

The fines in your CSTC top course will eventually migrate down into the low-fines CSBC (base course) via gravity and rain. I don't know what the base under the imported gravel is like, but the clean base course may also migrate downward into your "native" soils due to the lack of fines.

Over time, settling could cause a stack of the thinner blocks to tip, especially if the trailer is parked and largely ignored during the rainy season.

For these reasons, please consider using the larger and more stable blocks if you go this route.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
One can also get a length of telephone pole n use it for the retaining wall. Will last a very long time n stay in place
They soak the poles in creosote, a very caustic liquid. The ground contact can cause leeching......not good for well water.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #26
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
If this were me - and I do not know all of your particular circumstance, so this may be entirely wrong - I'd go with some of the suggestions with concrete blocks and pavers, or a wood ramp made from pressure treated lumber.

What I have not seen, and may have missed it, is a recommendation on securing them in place. One option is to get some 2 to 3 foot lengths of rebar and pound them into the ground around your ramp (concrete or wood). I use a 3-pound maul hammer as a regular hammer may not be large enough. Two rebars on each side should be enough to hold it in place, maybe even one if it is all one piece. Just be careful as you pound the bar in place to not hit the concrete, as you will need to get the top of the bar flush with the top of the concrete or wood.

Good luck and keep it simple!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They soak the poles in creosote, a very caustic liquid. The ground contact can cause leeching......not good for well water.
Guess we need to go after the utilities companies n the railroads for their contributions to poisoning the environment world wild
Old 04-14-2022, 02:21 PM   #28

Pick your poison, coal and soot near the steel mills or telephone companies for using creosote, either way it is a byproduct of consumer goods we all want!
Old 04-14-2022, 02:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Guess we need to go after the utilities companies n the railroads for their contributions to poisoning the environment world wild
I;m pretty sure creosote isn't used for many telephone/ utility poles any more. It was banned years ago for other than commercial uses. I think utility companies only use creosote for around 15-20% of poles in the US
Old 04-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I;m pretty sure creosote isn't used for many telephone/ utility poles any more. It was banned years ago for other than commercial uses. I think utility companies only use creosote for around 15-20% of poles in the US
You are probably correct, I was just using it as an example of mankind poisoning itself.....