Do I have to cut a hole in this paneling? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Do I have to cut a hole in this paneling?

My 21' has external 12V and USB power outlets between the wheel wells on both the driver and passenger sides. The outlet location is very convenient when pumping up the tires. I just found out the USB outlets on both sides crapped out and ETI is going to mail me the parts under warranty.

Apart from the 4 screws on each outlet it's also held in place with two plastic tightening rings from behind on the 12V and USB posts. I need to reach the back side of outlet from inside the trailer to loosen the rings. The driver's side looks easy but I have no idea how to reach it on the passenger side without quite a bit of carpentry work or cutting a hole in the bottom cabinet back paneling which I am a bit reluctant to do if there is a way to avoid it.

The picture below shows the approximate location of where the outlet is by the X mark behind the paneling on the fiberglass shell. The whole counter cabinet was built from outside in and bottom up. That whole paneling is too large to be pulled out from the cabinet doors and in addition it's not only stapled but also glued to the support frame behind it.

The easiest way I see is to cut a hole around the X mark (6x6, 8x8?) to do the replacing but I am reluctant to do it if there another relatively easy way around it. I just emailed ETI for advice and I am here to seek expert tips from my fellow escapees. TIA!

P.S. Of course worst comes worst I can just plug in a car charger USB adapter since the chances that I need to use both a 12V device and a USB device outside the trailer at the same time should be very low.
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20200706_162406.jpg  
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Are thye snap-in plastic clips? If so, pull the fuse for those outlets, then drill out the old faceplate or whatever to be able to get the old ones out (needlenose pliers?), since you're replacing them. Then the new ones will install by snapping into the hole, engaging the plastic clips.

That would be the simplest solution. Good luck!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #3

Not a snap clip, it's the one in the picture. It's a thin plastic threaded nut if you will and in the picture they are the white bands right behind the face plate in the bottom and right views.
Attached Thumbnails
Marinco dual outlet.JPG  
Old 07-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's only hollow empty space. Many of us have opened it up for storage.

I'd either cut out a good size panel, say 8"x8" or larger. I'd measure and see if the area is near the center spot between the wheels. That's the best location for storage.

Do your USB replacement but keep the panel easily removable, you might find the area handy for storing infrequently used items. There are also plastic inspection ports in different sizes, usually found on boats. They would make the job even easier.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I have pushed the back panels in and used Velcro to hold the panel in place. For what you need to do I would get a plastic plumbers access from Lowes. Cut a 8"x8" and the cover just snaps in place.
Eddie
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluidmaster...ble/1002464860
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's only hollow empty space. Many of us have opened it up for storage.

Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
... get a plastic plumbers access from Lowes. Cut a 8"x8" and the cover just snaps in place.
Eddie
I haven't intended to use that back space for storage but it's an interesting idea. Both side's floor level behind paneling areas, watch out!
Old 07-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You may have melted them using a 12v air compressor that draws more than what the outlet was designed for. Most 12v compressors should be attached directly to the battery using the alligator clips and the higher voltage wire versus the USB plug which may have only been for like 5 amps. Check the compressor on what it needs to operate and check the outlet max to be sure you are not overheating it. The fact you did it twice leads me to believe this is what happened. Most USB are not high voltage like the round outlets and even those have limits. Always best to connect direct to battery.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #8

The 12V sides are good it's the USB outlets that broke. I used the 12V so far only to pump tire air and never used the USB side. But good tip about the 12V compressor connection.