Do you bring along a boat? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Do you bring along a boat?

I'm a water person and have been looking for a small, likely roof top boat to expand my exploration radius. What kind of boats do you have? Mostly interested in a good rower that has a reasonable sail option .... extra points for simplicity and light weight.

Of course I'm thinking about boats ... Juneau got its first real snowfall last night (~ 9") with temps in the upper 20's F.

Tom
Old 11-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Do you bring along a boat?

Tom try googling Sportspal I had one of their canoes but they also used to make small aluminum boats.
Found a link for you.
http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/canoes.htm

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Go here for wide selection of boats: https://westerncanoekayak.com/
Old 11-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #4

Thank you Doug and Glenn,
Appreciate the ideas! Currently, I'm thinking about the Classic 12 designed by Geodesic Airolite Boat Designs. A bit tender on the beach but repairable with duct tape.... after a trip to Baja, might have an all duct tape boat!

Impossible knees won't let me kneel in a canoe and kayaks are hard for me to get into. A couple years ago this discussion came up and someone posted a link to an inflatable boat - narrow like a kayak with partial decks and a transom. It was of European origin (UK perhaps) and a bit pricey, but very interesting. I can't find it - I usually print off things of interest and put in a file for later "looks". Guess my best intentions didn't work out.

Tom

Dreaming of warmer waters. As of last week our water is much harder than it was this summer.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
someone posted a link to an inflatable boat - narrow like a kayak with partial decks and a transom. It was of European origin (UK perhaps) and a bit pricey, but very interesting. I can't find it - I usually print off things of interest and put in a file for later "looks". Guess my best intentions didn't work out.

Tom
Was this it? The Tinker Tramp is very popular as a tender with the Brit's in the Med.

DinghyGo, the next generation inflatable sailboat

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Tom, not sure if you are interested in something like this, but I bought the Sea Eagle Travel Canoe 16. It is an extremely well built and tough inflatable canoe. Not super fast, but with the skeg attached it tracks quite well. I have not solo paddled it much, but I built a mount for an electric trolling motor for it, which is fantastic for heading out fishing alone. I bought a 12V AGM battery for the setup, and can go all day with lots in reserve.

I like that it can be stowed away. I have plans for a box to stow it in that will fit behind my hitch in the bed of the truck. I have carried a canoe on the roof of the tow lots before, but did not like that it was almost always there, whether I used it or not.

https://www.seaeagle.com/TravelCanoe/TC16

Here is a crappy cell phone shot on Clearwater Lake in Wells Grey Provincial Park in BC. Caught myself some nice Rainbows there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Travel Canoe.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	28184
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Tom, not sure if you are interested in something like this, but I bought the Sea Eagle Travel Canoe 16. It is an extremely well built and tough inflatable canoe. Not super fast, but with the skeg attached it tracks quite well. I have not solo paddled it much, but I built a mount for an electric trolling motor for it, which is fantastic for heading out fishing alone. I bought a 12V AGM battery for the setup, and can go all day with lots in reserve.

I like that it can be stowed away. I have plans for a box to stow it in that will fit behind my hitch in the bed of the truck. I have carried a canoe on the roof of the tow lots before, but did not like that it was almost always there, whether I used it or not.

https://www.seaeagle.com/TravelCanoe/TC16

Here is a crappy cell phone shot on Clearwater Lake in Wells Grey Provincial Park in BC. Caught myself some nice Rainbows there.

Attachment 28184
I have been reading about the Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks for years but have never seen one in person nor talked with anyone who actually owned one. I did not know they now made an inflatable canoe too. It is encouraging to hear from someone who owns one and likes it. One more thing to add to our list of items to purchase as we return to the world of camping.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #8

Thanks Jim ... lots of interesting boats made by Sea Eagle. I see that they are having a sale until the end of November. Thinking

Tom
Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #9

Try Innova inflatable kayaks. I've had a single seater for over ten years, excellent quality.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
but I built a mount for an electric trolling motor for it, which is fantastic for heading out fishing alone.
Jim,
Would love to see a close up of the motor mount and its attachment points on the canoe.

Sea Eagle does not offer a motor mount as an accessory which is the prime reason I haven't explored this craft.

Thanks,
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape19-2016 2nd Gen.; TV: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
Try Innova inflatable kayaks. I've had a single seater for over ten years, excellent quality.
We've also had an Innova Helios II (2-person) for over ten years. We used it to explore bays and streams on Isle Royale and the Canadian North Shore of Lake Superior from our sailboat. It folds into a backpack and is quick to set up and store - even from the narrow side decks of a sailboat. Now that the boat is sold we plan on taking it with us in the T/V - and our 19. No wind resistance or lifting something heavy off the roof of the T/V this way...

Randy
RandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tom,
I really like the ORU Kayaks, but talk about pricy. If your knees won’t do kayaks then how about a Porta-bote?
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
I have one of those ... its been to Baja twice. You want to use it in warm water .... one time when the 'Elephantines' were forecast to blow. I had tied it to my car bumper. When I came back to camp it was airborne and spinning like a propeller. Luckily I had also tied my dome tent to same bumper .... had to get in it to keep it from heading to mainland Mexico without me ..... ahhhh Baja in January.

The Innova still holds air .... but can a guy have too many boats or .... well of course trailers?

Tom
Old 11-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Tom,
I really like the ORU Kayaks, but talk about pricy. If your knees won’t do kayaks then how about a Porta-bote?
Thanks Cody, I need to re-look at the Porta-botes and check out the ORU Kayaks.

Did you get my pictures of your trailer? If not will you please PM me your email address. All looked well when I was down there.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Jim,
Would love to see a close up of the motor mount and its attachment points on the canoe.

Sea Eagle does not offer a motor mount as an accessory which is the prime reason I haven't explored this craft.

Thanks,
Alan
I will take some photos of it after work today.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #16

I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of Jim's Sea Eagle canoe.

Jim - would you share a little more about your experiences with the canoe and why you selected it instead of one of the many inflatable kayaks out there?

I like the idea of an inflatable for convenience and storage - we formerly canoed a lot but have never used a kayak. I had heard that getting into and out of a kayak can be challenging for folks who are not as nimble as they once were - not sure if true since I have no experience with them.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post

I like the idea of an inflatable for convenience and storage - we formerly canoed a lot but have never used a kayak. I had heard that getting into and out of a kayak can be challenging for folks who are not as nimble as they once were - not sure if true since I have no experience with them.
Unfortunately that's true. The getting in stays pretty easy, gravity still works but the getting out part becomes increasingly difficult for some.

My volunteer job is making adaptive devices for disabled folks. I made this portable grab rail for a person who was an avid kayaker but had difficulty getting out of it herself. The grab rail clips on ahead of her and she can take it with her if she wants to stop somewhere at a beach for lunch. I don't need one for myself yet but .....

As far as inflatable kayaks go I was surprised by how well they paddle. A friend bought one because it's easy to stow on his boat. I thought, "that things going to be a real dog to paddle." I was surprised when we went on a long paddle and I didn't have to slow down my normal pace.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
13-02-2014 2-20-40 PM1_resize.JPG   13-02-2014 2-20-41 PM5_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote