Do You Have Loose Nuts - SDS2 Stovetop - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Sounds like not only do you have to check your wheel nuts after the break in period but also the stove screws and as in past posts all the screws in and behind the electrical panel.
Just make sure all power from the batteries, solar and AC plug is disconnect.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:14 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Less than two days to get this information but:

Have you checked your SDS2 stovetop and found loose nut(s)?

Please let me know by posting here.

Thanks,

Perry
Yes, checked after I saw a FB Post to the Escape Group. Right side was loose, left was tight. Picked up starwashers and loctite, will install and pressure test for leaks next week. Thx for keeping track of this. I might have responded to FP post too!

Larry
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Sounds like not only do you have to check your wheel nuts after the break in period but also the stove screws and as in past posts all the screws in and behind the electrical panel.
Just make sure all power from the batteries, solar and AC plug is disconnect.
Don't forget the E2 WDH! Been several issues noted with loosening and shifting of brackets!

Larry
Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Quote:

Thanks,

Perry
Yes! Plus the heat shield was laying loose in the cabinet below when we took delivery in Sumas last November.
TKscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
It sounds like 'csmith541' is talking about the Dometic stovetop/oven combo which is a different issue than the Suburban cooktop. That said, it would behoove everyone to check their connections once in a while. We had the outside electrical connector 'disassemble' itself after a rather bumpy road and now a screw on our Dometic stovetop burner sheared off, causing the burner to detach from the supply line (thankfully on the way home). Going to be checking on the E2 hitch next ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:50 PM   #26

Quote:

Thanks,

Perry
Just a follow up as I went out yesterday to finally install the lockwashers and loctite the nuts on. Well, I emptied the little bag of parts, and the nut I had taken to the hardware store wasn't in there. After an exhaustive search of pant pockets and cubbies, I figured I'd just go get another nut at the same store. They had some that were close, but they were for electric, so I thought I better check the Suburban website. What a fiasco, they refuse to sell to owners. Got the name of the nearest dealer and am working with them to get one (the local appliance parts store can't get them either). I had also emailed Escape parts, just in the chance they could help. I had mentioned the threads about the problems and the easy repair, and when they responded they recommended not doing that, not putting on loctite, etc...but taking it to a service center! I'm thinking that this is just to cover their butts. Going ahead with the repair as soon as I get the right size nut! So, make sure you know where all those little parts are. I'm confident it will show up after a year or two!

Larry
Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #27

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLSB View Post
Just a follow up as I went out yesterday to finally install the lockwashers and loctite the nuts on. Well, I emptied the little bag of parts, and the nut I had taken to the hardware store wasn't in there. After an exhaustive search of pant pockets and cubbies, I figured I'd just go get another nut at the same store. They had some that were close, but they were for electric, so I thought I better check the Suburban website. What a fiasco, they refuse to sell to owners. Got the name of the nearest dealer and am working with them to get one (the local appliance parts store can't get them either). I had also emailed Escape parts, just in the chance they could help. I had mentioned the threads about the problems and the easy repair, and when they responded they recommended not doing that, not putting on loctite, etc...but taking it to a service center! I'm thinking that this is just to cover their butts. Going ahead with the repair as soon as I get the right size nut! So, make sure you know where all those little parts are. I'm confident it will show up after a year or two!
Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.

We purchased a Dickinson stove, so I have no need for my old nuts. PM me your address and I'll send you a nut.

If someone needs a pipe from the control to the burner I do have one that is not broken. Send me a PM.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.

We purchased a Dickinson stove, so I have no need for my old nuts. PM me your address and I'll send you a nut.

If someone needs a pipe from the control to the burner I do have one that is not broken. Send me a PM.

Enjoy,

Perry
Believe me, I felt like a nut when I couldn't find that one! Let me see what my local RV shop comes up with, I don't want to send them on a wild goose chase, but thanks so much for the generous offer, I'll let you know via PM. I'll pay postage!
Old 08-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The Suburban SDS2 cook top saga continues. As some of you may recall, my cook top caught fire in July of this year during my first trip with my 2020 Escape19. The good news is that Suburban replaced the cook top under warranty and my local RV shop installed it yesterday. The bad news is that after I brought the trailer home this morning (thirty minute easy drive) and inspected the cook top, both gas valves are again loose. Exactly the problem that most likely caused the first cook top to fail. It's interesting to note that Suburban is now "double nutting" these valves onto the cook tops in an effort to keep the nuts on tight. Obviously this "fix" isn't working. They are also still putting the black plastic rings under the nuts, which I suspect may be the reason the nuts won't stay tight. The heat shield under the stove is also loose again under the left burner.
I contacted Suburban to report this new issue. Their remedy was to tell me to return my trailer to the repair shop again so that their techs can talk to Suburban's techs. They will not give me, the owner, any further assistance. I was very clear that these cook tops are unsafe and will eventually cause someone serious injury (it's already happened) if they do not resolve this issue.
I also alerted Escape about this.
ziksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 17B
I don't know if you are still looking for stoves with loose nuts, but I had assistance in checking mine and they were both loose. I picked up my 17B in June and haven't taken it out since getting it home, a 400-mile trip. Locking washers have been added. There's nothing loose underneath. (I was worried about even turning on the gas until I could get it checked.)

Additional details for those who might be interested... Suburban said to have person licensed to work on propane check it and call them for instructions if they found anything. I looked on Suburban's website to find a local authorized repair shop, but they would only look at the stove as part of a full propane system inspection, at a cost of $122.50. While checking with local Escape owners on who they use, Mark (of Mark&Elaine) offered his experienced services. The information that has been posted was very helpful. Thank you, Mark! And thank you to all that provided guidance.
mel99203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Did you wiggle the underneath pipes or try to turn them or pull them out? Mine felt snug until pulled on and then one just came right out.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #32

Trailer: 19/July-18
Securing the SDS2 valves with O-rings

We've been following the SDS2 loose nuts discussion with interest.

We have a 2018 E19 and have probably driven about 10k miles, and had never checked the stove valve nuts. I checked them yesterday and they were both still fully done up, but only hand tight. That must be how they come right out of assembly with the close fitting plastic cups that they sit in.

What I've done as a fix is use 1/2" o-rings as the lock nut, and then was able to put the brass nuts on quite tight. I've then added 3/8" o-rings as a secondary lock washer and had to pry them over the threads with a small screwdriver.

I'm a bit hesitant about using thread-lock just in case it ever needs to be removed. Anyways, will check the nuts regularly to see if my o-rings as lock washers works over the long term.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0867.jpeg  
dashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post

I'm a bit hesitant about using thread-lock just in case it ever needs to be removed. Anyways, will check the nuts regularly to see if my o-rings as lock washers works over the long term.
Don't worry about using blue Loctite, it can be overcome and undone. With red you pretty much have to use heat to loosen it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote