Does size really matter? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 2016 - 19 ft
Talking Does size really matter?

Last night before we have to submit our options.

One last thing is the size of the fridge.
The standard in the 19ft is the 4.3 we can up it to a 6.7

With the bigger fridge we loss a cupboard above.

Any thoughts out there.

Thank heavens this is all going to over tonight.

Thanks
Brad
Brad & Shelley Dalzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Love our 6.7 refrigerator in our 21' --- if it is the same one they would be putting in your 19'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A bigger refrigerator was important to me. A refrigerator is more efficient and cools better when not packed to the gills.

When I was a newbie, one of the BEST suggestions I received about how to pack a refrigerator is to pack it the same way you buy it. Protein and dairy need to be kept cold. Fruits and vegetables just need to be kept cool. I carry a cooler with block ice for the fruits and vegetables. I know storage is an issue in a smaller trailer and often the refrigerator looks like a great place to put everything! It's not.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Some (edit) were unhappy that the 4.3 wasn't offered anything but a door when fridge problems were a big issue here last year. Those with the original RML8555 (6.7 single door)were offered a replacement to the RMD8555(double door) and there seems to be much fewer complaints. Knowing this I would avoid the 4.3 unit.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We like the double doors on our fridge and there is a lot of room in the freezer. It easily holds a 10# bag of ice with room for a few other things. And it stays frozen. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We went for the big fridge, put the micro under the stove. If not getting the micro then ur not losing much. Bigger fridge cuts down on the amount of store runs for us, it's really nice after years of smaller ones. Lots of storage in this trailer and once we build out the under bed storage it will be more than needed.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
one fridge trick we learned the hard way.... especially with a jammed full small Casita fridge was....

get one of these

Amazon.com: Valterra A10-2606 FridgeCool 11.28 mA Fan with On/Off Switch: Automotive

or similar

and use with rechargeable batteries (to reduce waste and cost)

and in hot climates with the sun beating down on it, when under long days of tow.... (no shade) in hot areas....

the fridge works MUCH better when the air is being circulated with this little fan.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've had no issues with the 4.3, and find it's perfectly adequate size-wise. We also carry an ice chest for certain things. Th extra storage space above the reefer is welcome.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Does size really matter?

I have the older 4.3 in mine and no issues cooling, except on very hot days under full sun. I think there are benefits to both sizes, and often go back and forth in opinion.

One thing to think about is what kind of food you consume. When boondocking we tend to pack more on things that don't spoil or need cooling. That extra space above the fridge is our pantry for all those things. I think I would miss it if I had the 6.7. Then again, I do think the 6.7 would be well utilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We like the separate freezer and fridge compartments with the 6.7 CF RMD 8555. Size wise, I think we'd be just fine with the smaller unit, but in speaking with many owners who have the smaller fridge, they seem to have more cooling issues than we do. It's just anecdotal and I have no hard data for it though.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Some (edit) were unhappy that the 4.3 wasn't offered anything but a door when fridge problems were a big issue here last year. Those with the original RML8555 (6.7 single door)were offered a replacement to the RMD8555(double door) and there seems to be much fewer complaints. Knowing this I would avoid the 4.3 unit.
Hi Ross have to disagree . Have the 4.3 and now I am getting good results . What was needed fan you can control and ventilator fan . Insulation surrounding the fridge cabinet is very important . Yes I had to fix it . I remember in previous RV 's when I pulled frig's for different reason's ,the cabinet for frig's were totally insulated . This one was not , just the frig in cabinet . Yes problems with for whatever reason's ,frig's workings not the greatest . But your frig cabinet needs insulation to help it along . Think extreme coolers , thick insulated walls gets you longer cooler storage . These frig's work a lot better with more insulation .was in 90's -100's last summer and stayed about 38 on 4 . Morning, frig was 31 but left it alone ,didn't change temp because I knew we were in for heat later in day . This was over 3.week period . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
one fridge trick we learned the hard way.... especially with a jammed full small Casita fridge was....

get one of these

Amazon.com: Valterra A10-2606 FridgeCool 11.28 mA Fan with On/Off Switch: Automotive

or similar

and use with rechargeable batteries (to reduce waste and cost)

and in hot climates with the sun beating down on it, when under long days of tow.... (no shade) in hot areas....

the fridge works MUCH better when the air is being circulated with this little fan.
Very true . That too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
There is no perfect answer. The storage in the 19 being what it is, I've been sorry that we didn't have those two shelves -- they would have been the right height and in a convenient place. I don't think it would matter so much in the 21 or the 5.0 TA. However, the kind of traveling we do requires a bigger frig. A weekend trip with a cooler and you could get away with the smaller frig, but particularly since you're not supposed to pack the frig tightly, we needed the space. I love how much meat I can store in the freezer (we have the one door frig but it's worked fine for us) and I like that we can camp without going to a store for a week or two and take enough fresh stuff to last pretty well.

I didn't realize when we planned our trailer that we could have gotten a drawer underneath the closet. That would have helped a lot. Also, we are debating whether to build shelves in the closet -- if I had it to do over again I would have done that.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Wow this thread has been so helpful! Never having had a trailer I have no idea all the things one needs to consider when having fridge options. Guess delaying our purchase happened for a reason.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
We've never come close to filling up the 6.7 in our 21", not even with the 25 night trip back to Florida from ETI. For us, at least, the 4.3 would have been enough. It is true that we never went more than a week without hitting a grocery store, however. And, we have never had any problems with the original one-door 6.7.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote