Dometic 3 burner stove with oven - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Dometic 3 burner stove with oven

On our last trip, 11 days on the central California coast, 3 at Pismo Strand State Park, 3 at San Luis Obispo County Oceano Campground, and 5 days at Jalama Beach. The right rear burner on our Dometic 3 burner stove with the oven, fell off! Finished the trip by just setting it in place. When I got home, I found that a screw had fallen out of the burner mount. Replaced the screw and checked all the others. Most were loose, one was missing. Replaced the missing one and tightened all. If you have this stove, do some preventive maintenance and check all the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
20220527_091409.jpg   20220527_091451.jpg   20220527_091459.jpg   20220527_091504.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
What's the easiest way to get the top off?
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #3

Remove the grate, push back on the top and lift the front. It is on two spring clips in the back. Sounds complicated but it's easy.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
You will need to reinstall the small screws with red lock-tite to keep them from rattling out.
While you have the stove top off, add some additional insulation around the sparker wires. This picture shows 5/16 fuel line hose fitted over the wires and it fixes the problem of the burners not igniting.
Attached Thumbnails
Stove Sparker Solution.jpg  
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I had the same problem just a few days ago...after driving on gravel roads two burners came apart and the third is loose. I looked under the burner pan but don’t see any screws. But maybe I’ll find them when I disassemble it. Loctite was my thought too...or JB-Weld! Poor design for a vibration prone application if you ask me. Thanks for the pix and fix advice!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #6

Also, while I’m at it, I’m going to add a mid-line gas shutoff to the stove. If for some reason it gets a leak, I don’t want to lose my refrigerator gas to shut off the range. Don’t know why Escape doesn’t add this as stock for safety.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Also, while I’m at it, I’m going to add a mid-line gas shutoff to the stove. If for some reason it gets a leak, I don’t want to lose my refrigerator gas to shut off the range. Don’t know why Escape doesn’t add this as stock for safety.
Probably because adding a potential leak source is against code ( my guess ).
Old 05-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
What's the easiest way to get the top off?
Looks like Dometic has done a redesign on the newer ovens.
Ours has the burners and control knobs mounted directly to the stove top base.

To open the stove top first remove 2 screws located at the bottom of the front control panel just above the oven door. Then slide the stove top towards you and lift up.
Attached Thumbnails
stovetop.jpeg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Looks like Dometic has done a redesign on the newer ovens.

Our 2021 5.0 has exactly the same unit as nepawb. The Dometic R31 Series 50422 has sealed burners. Sealed burners keep spills from accumulating under the range top and make clean-up much easier. These burners necessitate attaching the burners to the range top making the area under the top a bit more restricted. Overall I'm happy with the newer units.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
My burners came apart twice. After the second time ,I just took a drill that fit the screw hole lined everything up and drilled It out and put a small bolt and nut with a loc washer to hold everything together. Haven’t had a problem since.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
My burners came apart twice. After the second time ,I just took a drill that fit the screw hole lined everything up and drilled It out and put a small bolt and nut with a loc washer to hold everything together. Haven’t had a problem since.
I have questions.
Did you drill all the way through the burner top cover and put the bolt all the way through? Did you do 1 or 2 bolts per burner? Did you use a hex head bolt or a machine screw? Thanks
Old 05-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #12

[QUOTE=rmitch;421544]I have questions.
Did you drill all the way through the burner top cover and put the bolt all the way through? Did you do 1 or 2 bolts per burner? Did you use a hex head bolt or a machine screw? Thanks[/QUOTEClick image for larger version

Name:	8C848205-4A6C-46D4-B6E4-04F5563CEE5F.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	62986
Went right thru . It’s the hole that lines up with the metal tab that holds the burner in place. Put the screw in the other hole back with a little lock tight . Don’t expect it will come a part agin.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:13 PM   #13

[QUOTE=Jake930;421556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
I have questions.
Did you drill all the way through the burner top cover and put the bolt all the way through? Did you do 1 or 2 bolts per burner? Did you use a hex head bolt or a machine screw? Thanks[/QUOTEAttachment 62986
Went right thru . It’s the hole that lines up with the metal tab that holds the burner in place. Put the screw in the other hole back with a little lock tight . Don’t expect it will come a part agin.
Very good fix! Thank you
Old 05-30-2022, 09:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
This happens to us a lot - not too hard to fix - BUT after taking the top off a number of times for this or for cleaning - I cannot get the top to sit tight - it comes up a bit on the lower right side. Anyone figured out how to fix this?
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
This happens to us a lot - not too hard to fix - BUT after taking the top off a number of times for this or for cleaning - I cannot get the top to sit tight - it comes up a bit on the lower right side. Anyone figured out how to fix this?
Is the rubber grommet still in place? Maybe wedged in that hole? Just a thought. Picture would give us a look.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Thanks -- I will take a look and do a picture soon.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:55 AM   #17

Yesterday I drilled out all three burner plates and secured the assemblies with 1 1/2” long stainless screws with lock washers and nuts, with a dab of red Loctite on the threads. They’re not going anywhere!

But like others, I find the top is a bit loose in the back - I think opening it without disconnecting everything slightly bends the retaining clips, keeping it from snugging the top down. It’s pretty minor, so I’m leaving it for now.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Dometic R1731 Stove

I’m looking for replacement screws that hold the flame spreader to the burner unit. (Dometic R1731). Any and all comments welcome.

This time all the screws fell out but one. All the others disappeared in to the abyss and gone forever until I remove the stove to find them.

We’d even entertain the idea of an upgrade in stove/oven, if one exists. Please advise. Thanks.

Ray Monfore
2020 E21C
605-661-5087 (Leave msg if I don’t answer)
recray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #19

I emailed Dometic customer service and they promptly replied with a schematic breakdown of the stove, asking me which part was the issue...unfortunately the burner assembly wasn’t broken down so the screw couldn’t be isolated and identified. My son has experience with screws from working in hardware and said they are what is known as “fine thread “, which is difficult to find. I ended up locating 2” screws of a close diameter, and drilling thru the burner plates and securing the burner plates in place with the screws and nuts (screw heads on top of burner plate, extra screw length down into stove cavity), with a dab of red Loctite for extra security. It didn’t take long and they will never come undone. Dometic has a poor design for a product subjected to the vibrations in a travel trailer!
Old 07-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #20

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
You will need to reinstall the small screws with red lock-tite to keep them from rattling out.
If you plan on NEVER removing the screws use red Loctite. Red is for extreme situations, much larger screws/bolts, and usually requires heat for removal. If for some reason in the future you need to remove that screw you’ll probably strip it and then remember this post. I’ve never had blue Loctite come loose in a situation like this. Everyone I know uses blue Loctite, not red., especially for small fasteners. The stove in your situation is low heat and small screws. Use the right tool for the job.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote