Dometic AC and inverter generators - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Dometic AC and inverter generators

If you are using a inverter generator to power the Dometic AC:
Do you have the hard wired EMS?
If you have the EMS do you use the remote switch to bypass the EMS or use a neutral/ground jumped 20A plug that is plugged into a 20 A outlet ?
We purchased a Yamaha 2800I inverter to replace the 34 year old Craftsman generator that failed during yet another extended residential power failure. After warming up the generator, turning off the econ mode and using the remote switch to bypass the EMS, turning off the power center breaker, I plugged the shore power cord into the 30A generator outlet. When I turned the AC on the generator indicated overload. I rapidly turned the AC off, disconnected the shore power cord and turned the generator off. When I plugged the shore power cord into the hardwired 30A receptacle I found that the EMS was no longer functioning.
The tech service at Progressive Industries pointed out that the manual states not to power up the EMS using an inverter. Others including ETI have reported powering the Dometic AC with a Honda 2000I. Is this problem inherent to the Yamaha generator who's output has been checked out to have 2500W and 21.5A constant output.? I am sending the EMS back to Progressive Industries for inspection. Maybe they will have a answer and or suggestions. I should note that after I removed the EMS, I connected the input and output wires and the Yamaha generator powered up and maintained the AC. If the converter was powered up at the same time the generator indicates overload. Is the soft start module installed on this 2013 Dometic AC ? When I reinstall the EMS after repair or replacement, I am considering wiring a switched EMS replacement.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While you would need to confirm with Progressive Industries, I suspect they are concerned about MSW inverters, not the pure sine wave outputs of the Yamaha & Honda (and others) inverter generators.

The waveform from the Honda & Yamaha inverter generators is cleaner than that of most utilities, and has not caused problems for many RVers using the combination.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Ummmmm, what's an EMS? I know that acronym as Emergency Medical Services.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Ummmmm, what's an EMS? I know that acronym as Emergency Medical Services.
Electrical Management System...another acronym to forget..
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Energy management System, and it can mean different things. In some larger RVs, it is used to shed loads when a 50 amp RV is connected to a 30A or 15A pedestal. In the case of Progressive Industries, it is a device that includes surge protection, and detects wiring errors, over & under voltages, etc and shuts down the feed.

One point I didn't mention - most inverter generators do not bond (connect) the neutral to the ground (and, at least in the US, are not required to by the NEC). The method used by Progressive Industries (and most 3 light testers) to detect an open ground is to check that the neutral & ground are bonded.

In a standard AC service this is done at the service entrance, however since it isn't done with the inverter generators, it will cause the EMS to shut down. The easiest solution (providing you can identify the terminals) is to take a standard 15 amp, 120V male connector, jump the neutral to the ground, and plug it into the generator's duplex receptacle.

I won't even start to argue whether it is better to bond or not bond a generator - that discussion has no end!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I have a 3000 watt (Boliye) sine wave inverter generator with a 30 amp RV outlet and a 20 amp outlet. The neutral and ground are not bonded.

It runs the A/C fine (at least when testing it - I have not run it for more than a few minutes so far.)

If I just connect to the generator the EMS does not connect since it shows the open neutral/ground so I must run it with the EMS off.

I have made a bonded 20 amp plug (with no cord) I put into the 20 amp outlet. I can then connect the RV with the EMS on and everything is fine.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 AM   #7

We have a Yamaha 2400 ishc generator and the hard wired surge protector. The surge protector will not let the Yamaha power the trailer unless I turn off the surge protector.

Our surge protector has the remote display with a switch to off the protector for certain situations. This is one of those situations. No rewiring, no overloads, no damage. We have run the microwave, charged the batteries, run our air conditioner, played DVDs, TV and computers, no problem.

Yamaha makes an excellent generator with good quality AC Power.

After using the generator, make sure you reset the surge protector back to the normal setting for hooking up to power posts in the RV Parks.
Mountain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote