Dometic CU606E, Dead Eyebrow - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Dometic CU606E, Dead Eyebrow

Thought I would pass along a problem I had with my fridge and the fix.

My fridge died on the way home from picking my 21 up on the 13th of this month. The eyebrow was completely dark, no indicator lights at all.

I checked the fuses first and then removed the eyebrow and checked the 12V line on the plug going to the eyebrow. Had 12V there so the eyebrow had to be bad.

ETI does not stock these so I had a local RV dealer order me an eyebrow under warranty and all is well.

While tinkering with this problem I discovered that my battery switch was bad. All 12V worked whether the switch was on or off.

I would not have known that had I not turned it off while tinkering and discovered it made no difference. In the future I won't assume the battery is disconnected just because the switch is off.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post

While tinkering with this problem I discovered that my battery switch was bad. All 12V worked whether the switch was on or off.

I would not have known that had I not turned it off while tinkering and discovered it made no difference. In the future I won't assume the battery is disconnected just because the switch is off.
Wow, just goes to show that anything can be defective, I suppose. We knew right away that ours was working when it inadvertently got bumped into the off position several times the first week before I installed a guard cover for it. Sure wouldn't want to put the trailer away in storage for several months thinking the batteries were disconnected, good thing you discovered that now!
Old 08-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Thought I would pass along a problem I had with my fridge and the fix.

My fridge died on the way home from picking my 21 up on the 13th of this month. The eyebrow was completely dark, no indicator lights at all.

I checked the fuses first and then removed the eyebrow and checked the 12V line on the plug going to the eyebrow. Had 12V there so the eyebrow had to be bad.

ETI does not stock these so I had a local RV dealer order me an eyebrow under warranty and all is well.

If you need a replacement switch - it's a 12v 50 amp toggle switch. Not the best quality though.
https://www.amazon.com/JT-Products-2.../dp/B002UZW7NG

But a lot of people are just replacing it with a marine battery disconnect switch. Accidental switching becomes impossible and it handles 300 amps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If you need a replacement switch - it's a 12v 50 amp toggle switch.
https://www.amazon.com/JT-Products-2.../dp/B002UZW7NG

But a lot of people are just replacing it with a marine battery disconnect switch. Accidental switching becomes impossible and it handles 300 amps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The folks at ETI are sending me another. I'm going to take a look at the marine switch you mentioned tho. I'm going to exercise your stated policy of not saying anything if you cannot say something good(wiring).

That switch deserves it but I ain't gonna say it.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
The folks at ETI are sending me another. I'm going to take a look at the marine switch you mentioned tho. I'm going to exercise your stated policy of not saying anything if you cannot say something good(wiring).

That switch deserves it but I ain't gonna say it.
You have got me laughing and then I reread your post and it cracked me up again.

Escape uses some really good stuff when they build our trailers - that switch isn't one of them.

I know it's a bit of a drive for you but hope to meet you at Pineknot.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Wow, just goes to show that anything can be defective, I suppose. We knew right away that ours was working when it inadvertently got bumped into the off position several times the first week before I installed a guard cover for it. Sure wouldn't want to put the trailer away in storage for several months thinking the batteries were disconnected, good thing you discovered that now!
Kinda makes you think about it huh?

"I'm going to turn this breaker off and play grabbit with the wires. Can't possibly be power there with the breaker off"
Old 08-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
You have got me laughing and then I reread your post and it cracked me up again.

Escape uses some really good stuff when they build our trailers - that switch isn't one of them.

I know it's a bit of a drive for you but hope to meet you at Pineknot.
Since I'm so new at the Escape business I have not thought of going to rallys. Have read many comments about them and thinking it may be a good thing to do. I would be alone as my wife of 58 years is gone now.

Where is Pineknot? The drive means nothing. I'm not needed at the farm anymore (sigh)
Old 08-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Where is Pineknot? The drive means nothing. I'm not needed at the farm anymore (sigh)
Info here: Pineknot - Home
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Since I'm so new at the Escape business I have not thought of going to rallys. Have read many comments about them and thinking it may be a good thing to do. I would be alone as my wife of 58 years is gone now.

Being new to the Escape business, you should definitely go. Dave Allen is the rally host (owns 2017 Escape 21) and Karl (Escape trailers) will be there in a 5.0TA. I think last count, there will be 9 Escape 21 trailers at the rally - gives you a chance to meet other owners and see stuff they have done with their trailers.

Of course, some socializing, food and drink, etc.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Being new to the Escape business, you should definitely go. Dave Allen is the rally host (owns 2017 Escape 21) and Karl (Escape trailers) will be there in a 5.0TA. I think last count, there will be 9 Escape 21 trailers at the rally - gives you a chance to meet other owners and see stuff they have done with their trailers.

Of course, some socializing, food and drink, etc.
Talked me into it. I'm soooo easy! Going to the site donna sent and check it out
Old 08-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Talked me into it. I'm soooo easy! Going to the site donna sent and check it out
Great! Look me up when you get there - I'll be in the 21' trailer with gold graphics.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Great! Look me up when you get there - I'll be in the 21' trailer with gold graphics.
Looking forward to it. I'll get things set up
Old 08-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
There are a number of fiberglass rallies in Texas, most will have a good number of Escapes at them: Home
Old 08-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
There are a number of fiberglass rallies in Texas, most will have a good number of Escapes at them: Home
I'm going to start looking at them. Will probably want to go to more than a few
Old 08-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Rallies are a great way to meet other forum members as well as Escape owners not on the forum. The factory one in May at Osoyoos, BC has always been nice and the cg is beautiful. There is usually two more in September, Alf's Niagara Falls,Ontario and the Mississippi River Rally. I believe there a several in Texas in fall and winter also. Hecht, we even had one in Pennsylvania several years ago. It would be nice if rallies were spread out throughout the country and throughout the year. One could travel month to month to attend. Good way to meet and good way to see the country.