Dometic RM 8551 door repair - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Myron have the same refrigerator. Good to know about the replacement latch if I ever need it ! Thankyou ! Pat
You too Donna ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yes, Jim and my clumsy use as a means to keep the door latched but open for ventilation is likely what led to my breaking it. The replacement part is considerably more hefty across that area when the door latches.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 2023 21C
Fridge repaired

Thanks Donna, the part was waiting for us when we got home and with a minor modification it fit and works well. We had been over some bumpy roads and the bottom bracket for the fridge for had to be adjusted (bent back up). Here is a picture of the earlier repair I did to the upper pivot on the door. I cut out the broken plastic and shaped a piece of stainless steel to fit and used epoxy to hold it in.

I'm still on the hunt for the freezer hinge.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge repair.jpg   freezer hinge.jpg  
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnet View Post
I'm still on the hunt for the freezer hinge.
Is it one of these?
https://www.dyersonline.com/advanced...=freezer+hinge
Old 09-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
it has taken me a while to get to the hinge. It looks like one of them, I need to find a part number for the one I have to be sure. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnet View Post
Is it one of these?
https://www.dyersonline.com/advanced...=freezer+hinge

it has taken me a while to get to the hinge. It looks like one of them, I need to find a part number for the one I have to be sure. Thanks.
From some parts diagrams online it looks like you need Dometic part # 2412125011 which would be this specific hinge
https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-...-assembly.html
Attached Thumbnails
F72D56F3-E9E0-4B71-810A-B9C09EF6542D.jpg  
Old 02-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #27

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
So I went out and started checking things out for a trip south later this month and noticed the cheap plastic door latches (catches?) on my Dometic RMD8555 (2 door) are cracked and almost worn through. I found this thread and ordered the Bastens replacement latch mentioned earlier in this thread (thanks Donna!).

For those who have installed the Bastens replacement, has it held up?

Also, does the clear plastic cover on the existing latch assembly just pop off? I was trying several different angles but afraid I will break the damn thing.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2020, 12:40 AM   #28

The light cover does pop off, I remember fiddling with it to get it off. The replacement has worked well, we broke the original by trying to close the door when the bracket was pulled out.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:08 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've used a plain ole butter knife to pop off the light cover. I would imagine a putty knife would work too. Just go slow and work all the way around.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Thank you, Sunrisetrucker, Myron and Donna!

I have struggled with my fridge door for too many years and fixed it today with J-B Weld and a washer on top and some reinforcing with J-B Weld on the bottom hinge. My latch piece isn't in too bad of shape and I got it to work again but I have ordered the piece from Bastens.

My door closes just like butter now.

Thank you for the ideas!
Linda
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9326.jpg   IMG_9327.jpg   IMG_9334.jpg  
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Ours FELL OFF a few years back. Was still under the two year warranty and Dometic exchanged for a new fridge. Covered the instillation labor too.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Sunrisetrucker, thanks for the reply. So far our gluing that female plastic part seems to be holding, but if it cracks and breaks off again, this is a great way to fix it. Also, I may take a better look at the bottom hinge and use a washer to prevent similar damage.

Our issue is the top hinge pin itself moves from side to side. We are not good fixer-uppers, so we have not attempted to remove the eye level panel to get a better view. Even if we did, would have no idea what to do. Does anyone know if this repairable?
vfarsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfarsch View Post
Our issue is the top hinge pin itself moves from side to side. We are not good fixer-uppers, so we have not attempted to remove the eye level panel to get a better view. Even if we did, would have no idea what to do. Does anyone know if this repairable?

If it is the same as mine there are two screws that attach the hinge pin to the frame of the fridge. These might simply be loose. The panel is easy to remove, held on by two small screws. After it is removed you'll have easy access to the hinge pin.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
sunrisetrucker said "If it is the same as mine there are two screws that attach the hinge pin to the frame of the fridge. These might simply be loose. The panel is easy to remove, held on by two small screws. After it is removed you'll have easy access to the hinge pin"

My husband and I followed your great instructions. We removed the top panel, but it was attached with all the electrical wires in the back, so we could not get it to clear the area. We struggled with the tight space, but with my thin fingers holding a phillips screw head for a drill in place, and his strength turning it with pliers, we were able to tighten the three screws that hold the top hinge. We replaced the refrigerator door, and it seemed to shut fine. Not sure how long the screws will hold, but I will be more careful what I store on the door from here on out.

Thanks for your help!

Now I am just waiting for the 2 new freezer door hinges to arrive so I can replace the broken ones, hopefully we can have a freezer while camping again.
vfarsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfarsch View Post
sunrisetrucker said "If it is the same as mine there are two screws that attach the hinge pin to the frame of the fridge. These might simply be loose. The panel is easy to remove, held on by two small screws. After it is removed you'll have easy access to the hinge pin"

My husband and I followed your great instructions. We removed the top panel, but it was attached with all the electrical wires in the back, so we could not get it to clear the area. We struggled with the tight space, but with my thin fingers holding a phillips screw head for a drill in place, and his strength turning it with pliers, we were able to tighten the three screws that hold the top hinge. We replaced the refrigerator door, and it seemed to shut fine. Not sure how long the screws will hold, but I will be more careful what I store on the door from here on out.

Thanks for your help!

Now I am just waiting for the 2 new freezer door hinges to arrive so I can replace the broken ones, hopefully we can have a freezer while camping again.

Glad to help. I said two screws holding the pin but you're right it was three. You might want to get an off set Philips screw driver like this one. That way you can apply more downward pressure on the screws and be able to tighten then even better.
Attached Thumbnails
20200802_184356.jpg  
Old 04-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
My Dometic Fridge RM8551 is having a lot condensation inside the fridge. Upon inspection, I noticed that the rubber door gasket/seal is completely flat and I can see through to the inside of the fridge. I am enlisting forum members for help to locate a source and part number for the gasket before calling Dometic part dept. Any helpful instructions to replace the gasket will be greatly appreciated.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
In my searching for a RMD8555 gasket several years ago I found the gasket was not available as a separate item. It was necessary to purchase the entire door. My response was to warm the gasket with a hair dryer and then reshape the gasket to make a better seal. Use a dollar bill to test the seal. One hint: I found a $20 bill worked better for this test.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
My Dometic Fridge RM8551 is having a lot condensation inside the fridge. Upon inspection, I noticed that the rubber door gasket/seal is completely flat and I can see through to the inside of the fridge. I am enlisting forum members for help to locate a source and part number for the gasket before calling Dometic part dept. Any helpful instructions to replace the gasket will be greatly appreciated.

Tonny LR
Tonny: Not sure what the shipping would be but you might want to check if this new door is still available in Ohio
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...oor-19049.html
Old 04-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
In my searching for a RMD8555 gasket several years ago I found the gasket was not available as a separate item. It was necessary to purchase the entire door. My response was to warm the gasket with a hair dryer and then reshape the gasket to make a better seal. Use a dollar bill to test the seal. One hint: I found a $20 bill worked better for this test.
Thank you for the suggestion of using hair dryer to re-shap the gasket. Will give it a try.

Tonny LR
Old 04-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Tonny: Not sure what the shipping would be but you might want to check if this new door is still available in Ohio
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...oor-19049.html
Thanks. I sent him an email to enquire if the fridge is still for sale.

Tonny LR