Dometic RM2554 Refrigerator Not Cooling... Did I Kill It? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Dometic RM2554 Refrigerator Not Cooling... Did I Kill It?

Our 3 yr old Dometic RM2554 refrigerator stopped cooling on our last trip. I might have run it overnight on too steep a slope. That could have been the problem. Do you think I killed it, or might there be a simple way to wake it up and get it cooling up again?
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Sorry to read about your fridge trouble, Greg. I have the same fridge as you, and it bit the dust this past spring. It is now up and running thanks to a new main outside control board and inside "eyebrow" control panel (sold and installed as a pair for the RM2554).
As for yours, if you haven't already, check to see if the fridge works on either gas or shore power. If one of those functions correctly I believe it simplifies the repair process. I relied on many YouTube videos. My favored choice is "My RV Works". For testing purposes knowing how to use a multimeter will be helpful. I ordered replacement parts through a Dometic dealer. I learned Dinosaur doesn't make replacement boards for the RM2554 with certain serial numbers like mine. Good luck. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Our 3 yr old Dometic RM2554 refrigerator stopped cooling on our last trip. I might have run it overnight on too steep a slope. That could have been the problem. Do you think I killed it, or might there be a simple way to wake it up and get it cooling up again?
Google "Burping a fridge". I did the same thing. I left it on a steep street while it was running and it wouldn't cool below 50 after that. did the burping procedure and it's back to like new.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
Google "Burping a fridge". I did the same thing. I left it on a steep street while it was running and it wouldn't cool below 50 after that. did the burping procedure and it's back to like new.
I found this article re: "burping a fridge"

https://www.rvtravel.com/does-your-r...urp-that-baby/
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
I found this article re: "burping a fridge"

https://www.rvtravel.com/does-your-r...urp-that-baby/
That site has some good instructions. I laid the fridge on both sides and the front several minutes twice just to be sure. When I left it plugged in on AC the freezer went to -5 and fridge to 30. Better than new.
Before I reinstalled the fridge I installed one of these fan kits.

rvcoolingunit.com/-Dometic-or-Norcold-SINGLE-Fan-kit-added-air-flow-Clamp-style-with-thermostat-P5983768.aspx

That kit and insulating the box seemed to really help.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #6

Thank you for the info about burping the frig. It sounds like it might be my issue and I'd like to give it a try.

Since I've never tried to remove the refrigerator, might there be instructions somewhere to do such? Where are the fasteners? Wires that need disconnecting? Is there any "trick" to taking off any cosmetic panels, etc to access said fasteners.

I've learned thru the school of hard knocks that while I'm good at following detailed directions, I have a very poor track record at just blindly jumping into a project. In those cases I just seem to dig myself into a deeper hole.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #7

Epilogue: Yes. The cooling coils were the problem. Taking a serious look at removing the refrigerator I smartly decided I'd be better off letting a professional take care of the situation. That resulted in a new set of cooling coils and now everything is working again. The technician indicated that we shouldn't run the refrigerator if the front-back level is more than 1/2 of the leveling bubble off. Happy things are working again.