Don’t do this in the shower... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Don’t do this in the shower...

A while back I read a post here about using a dab of silicon to help secure suction-cup hangers to the fiberglass shower walls. I used about a 1/4+“ dab of silicon on each suction cup. Seemed like a great idea to keep the suction cups from constantly falling off. This worked for a few months until the trailer interior temperature reached 99 degrees.

I went out there one evening last week and the suction cups were on the floor with this gooey mess of partially cured silicon hanging and sort of dripping down the walls. Nothing some caulking remover couldn’t clean up - but after cleaning up the silicon it stained the white fiberglass a bit yellow where the suction cups were.

First, I was surprised that our Escape parked under cover completely in the shade with open ends and with open windows/vents could get this hot in Portland, Oregon. And second, my theory is that the GE silicon, which I think air cures, never cured and some weird chemical reaction occurred between the uncured silicon, suction cup, and gelcoat that resulted in some staining. Now to try those 3M Command hooks.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Wow, I was going to do the same thing THIS week. Thanks for the warning!
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
WOW! I did do the same thing! Idea from the same post. Guess what? Got the same results as you. Lol. Oh well live and learn. Lol
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Tired of picking up my suction cup bath basket and with my continuing satisfaction with 3M Command hooks, I bought this 3M Command basket this morning. Got it at Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Command.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 replaced Casita
The 3M Command Strips have held in the shower and elsewhere for well over a year. I even used about half a dozen strips to hold a paper towel holder under the overhead cabinets just above the kitchen sink. The tabs that you pull to release the strips stick out the back and are not visible without some bodily contortion.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Tired of picking up my suction cup bath basket and with my continuing satisfaction with 3M Command hooks, I bought this 3M Command basket this morning. Got it at Home Depot.

I have had a similar Command Hook basket hanging in my trailer's bathroom for a couple of years now, at least. It's still there.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We're in Texas and have a couple of suction cup baskets in the shower. Just wetted them and they have held. I can, and have, pushed them to adjust their position with out any problem. If I wanted to "ensure" they stayed in place I would have tried vaseline, rather than a curable silicon. I have had a lot of success using vaseline as a sealant in numerous situations.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
f I wanted to "ensure" they stayed in place I would have tried vaseline, rather than a curable silicon. I have had a lot of success using vaseline as a sealant in numerous situations.
Great tip on using vaseline!!!
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Once again, substantiates my claim SILICONE should never be used on an all-molded-towable! I never considered the damage would be done when used on the inside, only the outside. But now I know.... no, no, no never on gelcoat... anywhere. Sorry you found it out Dale. I'm filing this under "Lessons Learned."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I use Command hooks for wash cloths and the squeege. I use heavy duty double back velcro on the suction parts of my towel rack and toilet paper holder (both from Ikea). I do take the towels and TP off when traveling. All have stayed up just fine. The towel/TP holders used to come down before I used the velcro. I don't know if I could leave the towels up, but I'm in the habit of taking them down and putting them on bed, so I continue doing so. I also use the velcro on the shampoo dispenser you can see in the mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05334.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote