Door hard to operate - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Door hard to operate

2020 17b. So it has the newer door compared to what I'm used to, plus, much younger so less use. But it seems very hard to open and close. It won't swing close and latch even with a good shove, and I have to work to open it with the latch from outside. Is this normal when new, and if not, what can I do to loosen it up?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Have you leveled the trailer. On my old Casita, I'd occasionally get a twist in the frame when setting up the trailer on an uneven campsite. The twist would be just enough to prevent the latch and strike plate from lining up. Made the door nearly impossible to close and lock.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
Have you leveled the trailer. On my old Casita, I'd occasionally get a twist in the frame when setting up the trailer on an uneven campsite. The twist would be just enough to prevent the latch and strike plate from lining up. Made the door nearly impossible to close and lock.
It's in the garage but it is always like this. Just more noticeable as I have less room to swing it closed so have to work harder at it.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
2020 17b. So it has the newer door compared to what I'm used to, plus, much younger so less use. But it seems very hard to open and close. It won't swing close and latch even with a good shove, and I have to work to open it with the latch from outside. Is this normal when new, and if not, what can I do to loosen it up?
I am not sure if what you describe is the same as our issue. Mine was very tight and it finally dawned on me to adjust the striker plate, that took care of it.
Attached Thumbnails
entry door striker plate PXL_20201123_162842326.jpg  
Old 11-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #5

I think it is the strike plate. How did you adjust it? It seems to hit the edge as the door closes.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
I think it is the strike plate. How did you adjust it? It seems to hit the edge as the door closes.
Do you mean that you think the door is rubbing on it, I am not at the trailer to see what kind of gap I have between the door "latch" and the striker plate, but if yours is rubbing that could be a problem.

I just adjusted the striker plate out a hair, you just "barely" loosen the two screws one at the top and the one at the bottom of the striker plate. Then slide the plate toward the outside of the trailer a 16th or 8th of an inch. Best to just loosen it enough to keep it snug and then give it a little tap with a screwdriver to barely move it out.

You may want to put a pencil mark at it's present location should you want to move the striker back to the original location.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #7

I'll try and check it out. Sure seems something is not quite right.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #8

Okay, what is the thing called that isn't the deadbolt but is the other bolt? The curved one?

That hits the strikeplate (as it should) but doesn't easily go in when it hits. It goes in fine when I push it in. I think that means it is too far out? Not sure I have any way to adjust that.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Okay, what is the thing called that isn't the deadbolt but is the other bolt? The curved one?

That hits the strikeplate (as it should) but doesn't easily go in when it hits. It goes in fine when I push it in. I think that means it is too far out? Not sure I have any way to adjust that.
I think it is called a Latch. I am not sure what you mean by you think it might be out too far. Are you saying it is hitting the striker plate prior to the where it starts to be slanted?
A picture of what you are seeing would be helpful.

I am planning to go to the trailer tomorrow and will look at how mine is put together.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I don't want to sound (or be) cranky, but you make reference to wanting to swing the door closed and have it latch, as I would expect to be able to do with a properly hung house door. Lets keep in mind that travel trailers are not stable houses, and that our trailer doors and their latches do not function in a stable environment. You may be asking for more than the latch is designed to deliver.

On any trailer I have owned, I have always held the latch in the open position while pressing the door closed, then released the latch to have it engage the striker in the closed position. No strain on the latch, no strain on me, and the door closes properly every time. The latch assembly will last a lot longer also.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #11

That's why I want to know if it is normal not to operate smoothly. My other trailer did but it had the older curved door. I'll try holding the handle when I close it and see if it makes a difference. And try to get a picture but that could be tricky.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
On any trailer I have owned, I have always held the latch in the open position while pressing the door closed, then released the latch to have it engage the striker in the closed position. No strain on the latch, no strain on me, and the door closes properly every time. The latch assembly will last a lot longer also.

Ditto. You're not cranky. You're smart.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
I have a 2019 Escape 19. I have had similar problems From time to time. The striker plate gets slightly out of line, so I have to adjust it slightly and screw it tight again. Problem solved
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:40 PM   #14

I posted it on the Facebook forum as a video as pictures didn't do much. https://www.facebook.com/bobbie.maye...ssed&ref=notif

Strike plate is tight but if I can get it loose it may adjust some but not sure what to do to it. And holding the door handle as I close makes it close smoothy but it doesn't latch.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I posted it on the Facebook forum as a video as pictures didn't do much. https://www.facebook.com/bobbie.maye...ssed&ref=notif

Strike plate is tight but if I can get it loose it may adjust some but not sure what to do to it. And holding the door handle as I close makes it close smoothy but it doesn't latch.
I second Ronn that it is possibly the stricker plate out of adjustment slightly. It seems to be taking way too much effort to close the door and the stricker plate is too tight on the latch when trying to open the door. This means you need to move the plate outward (towards the exterior) a little bit.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I second Ronn that it is possibly the stricker plate out of adjustment slightly. It seems to be taking way too much effort to close the door and the stricker plate is too tight on the latch when trying to open the door. This means you need to move the plate outward (towards the exterior) a little bit.
That is exactly what I had to do. I actually had to move the striker plate as far outward as possible, tighten it down and everything worked great
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I did that and it doesn't squeak when opening any more but I still have to smack it to get it to latch when I close it.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:54 PM   #18

Quote:
I did that and it doesn't squeak when opening any more but I still have to smack it to get it to latch when I close it.
I'd say it needs to come out a little farther yet. There is likely more play to move it outward, if not you may have to lengthen the screw holes a tiny bit.
Also, I'd lubricate the slant on the latch and spray some inside the latch mechanism (Silicone Lube) but I believe your main problem is the striker plate is too far to the towards the inside of the trailer and needs to be moved a little more to the outside.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #19

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
When we received our 5.0 at Sumas the first night we had to press the door firmly from the outside or pull from the inside to close the door. First thing I did was adjust the striker plate and that didn't help. I removed the striker plate and the door closed properly.

Finally got in touch with Rease and he said on some Escapes the door was bowed in at the top and bottom slightly. He advised me to put a 2x4 at the top and bottom of the door and push the middle in to correct the situation.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
When we received our 5.0 at Sumas the first night we had to press the door firmly from the outside or pull from the inside to close the door. First thing I did was adjust the striker plate and that didn't help. I removed the striker plate and the door closed properly.

Finally got in touch with Rease and he said on some Escapes the door was bowed in at the top and bottom slightly. He advised me to put a 2x4 at the top and bottom of the door and push the middle in to correct the situation.

Enjoy,

Perry
I don't get the 2x4 part