Door window privacy film - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #1

Location: Carleton Place from Owen Sound from Toronto, Ontario
Trailer: 2017 19'
Door window privacy film

Hi - the film on our door window On our Escape 19 has been bunching up for some time so we peeled it off. Wonderful - a new window when we want to look out! But now what to do when we want privacy? Velcro maybe? Anybody have experience with this? Any ideas?
LP On The Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 17B
The same happened to me. I love the extra window and will not be applying another privacy film. I put a small spring tension curtain rod over the door and now have a curtain which I close when I need the privacy.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We asked Escape not to install the door window film. With the E21 I installed a curtain rod from the edge of the cubbies to the kitchen overhead cabinet. Then the wife made a curtain and installed a velcro strap on the cubby wall for when we want the curtain open. We really like this setup. Very easy to see who is at the door anytime someone knocks.
Dplandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They have a kit where you replace the window with one with a sliding privacy panel, Here is one
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/AP-Pr...eece5c762d68fc
Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #5

There is this type also
https://www.amazon.com/CloZures-Cont...6200956&sr=8-7
Old 04-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP On The Move View Post
Hi - the film on our door window On our Escape 19 has been bunching up for some time so we peeled it off. Wonderful - a new window when we want to look out! But now what to do when we want privacy? Velcro maybe? Anybody have experience with this? Any ideas?
Go to either a window tinting place or a sign shop...both use films that would give you privacy if you want a more permanent solution. You will want to do a wet apply method to get it smooth and bubble free.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I cut a piece of reflectix to fit, easy to press it into the window frame and the lip keeps it in place. At night when we want total privacy, or to keep the bedroom area extra dark when we don't want to wake early, we leave it in. When we want more light it's easy enough to pop out.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
One could always fit a photo of a nude couple on the inside of the window and give the Peeping Tom’s a thrill!
Old 04-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I sure would not do anything that restricts light coming in. In the morning, if the sun is up, so am I.

I have been looking at solutions too, there is frosted glass you can buy. I even thought of building or getting a stain glass unit to install in it.

Not too worried at all about the whole privacy thing though, other than for when parked and away from the trailer where someone might want to peer in, but really, how likely is that.

Someday I will do something, for now life is just way to busy and I can't use the trailer anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I cut a piece of reflectix to fit, easy to press it into the window frame and the lip keeps it in place. At night when we want total privacy, or to keep the bedroom area extra dark when we don't want to wake early, we leave it in. When we want more light it's easy enough to pop out.
Ditto what David did. Has worked great for years and no cost since had reflectix sitting here.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Ditto to what Dave does, too....and we like the extra insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dplandry View Post
We asked Escape not to install the door window film. With the E21 I installed a curtain rod from the edge of the cubbies to the kitchen overhead cabinet. Then the wife made a curtain and installed a velcro strap on the cubby wall for when we want the curtain open. We really like this setup. Very easy to see who is at the door anytime someone knocks.
However, Dplandry, this sounds intriguing. Hummm If you feel so inclined to share some pics of your curtain set up, feel free. Thanks for the idea. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I sure would not do anything that restricts light coming in. In the morning, if the sun is up, so am I.

I have been looking at solutions too, there is frosted glass you can buy. I even thought of building or getting a stain glass unit to install in it.

Not too worried at all about the whole privacy thing though, other than for when parked and away from the trailer where someone might want to peer in, but really, how likely is that.

Someday I will do something, for now life is just way to busy and I can't use the trailer anyway.

Many moons ago when I ran the sign shop at our local ski area I used to stock a vinyl film for cutting patterns and letters that made it look like the glass was frosted. It came on a roll and was 13 in wide. It was reasonably easy to apply and would last quite well if applied to the inside of the window. That would let the light in but give you the privacy.

I do like your idea of stained glass though. That would be pretty classy and you could mount it on the inside of the existing glass to protect it.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I believe that you can purchase spray paint which is actually used to frost glass. I’m not sure how well it would hold up. Or you could replace the glass with one-way mirror. Both would let the light in, but the one-way mirror would allow you to see who is there.

Jim. I went to the Land Between the Lakes Rally a few years ago and there was a woman in a Casita who had stained glass in her door’s window. Both unique and pretty.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here is an old thread from FGRV on stain glass.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...dow-37024.html
Old 04-09-2020, 01:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Go to either a window tinting place or a sign shop...both use films that would give you privacy if you want a more permanent solution. You will want to do a wet apply method to get it smooth and bubble free.
I was leaning towards that solution..they have automobile tinting which is mirror-like on the outside but you can still see thru it, from inside..if there is light outside. Around here they call it limo tinting.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
I was leaning towards that solution..they have automobile tinting which is mirror-like on the outside but you can still see thru it, from inside..if there is light outside. Around here they call it limo tinting.
Cruise America has a graphic printed on theirs, a happy dog I think. I have seen the film on busses with an advert on the outside right across the windows...on the inside it is just like a tinted window. So you could have anything...a beautiful naked couple A pretty picture??
Old 04-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #17

Quote:
That would be a mistake, as at night, when you want to see who is outside, you can not!
Old 04-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That would be a mistake, as at night, when you want to see who is outside, you can not!
Ummm I have the factory frosting and cannot see out...so what? If it is that important I would turn out all interior lights, use the switch to turn on all outside lights and look through another window.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #19

I was just saying that replacement should make something more useful, not the same or worse off. I'd just place a removable blind vs making the opening inoperable for sight.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Just remember, like the standard tinted Escape windows, the one way only works when the outside is brighter than the inside. At night, with the lights on in in the trailer, the mirror, like the standard window tinting, becomes transparent.

Tags
door window, privacy film