Double your pleasure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Double your pleasure

Figured I'd tangent off the Stik-vac thread a bit and should start anew.

In the interest of getting the most use out of any item loaded aboard and keeping the weight down I'm soliciting ideas.

For instance: I bought a deep stainless steel container from a kitchen supply store years ago. Cost quite a bit ( $40 ) and didn't work out as intended in the home kitchen, but it's perfect for the trailer.
It measures about 12 x 14 x 10 inches deep. I use it as a container for my fry pans and sundry when under way. At camp, I convert it to a dish basin for outside. Since it is metal, I can fill it with water and heat the water on my Thunder Range butane burner; to wash the dishes out on the picnic table.

Old Bag ( Leslie ) still insists on bringing a plastic dish tub, but I'm working on her.

I had the stove cover installed, but I may just remove it and replace it with a cutting board. I just have to work out how to secure the cutting board to the stove top for travel. It provides counter space for food prep or space for drying dishes and won't take up space in my cupboard. Epicurean boards are light weight, durable and not inexpensive, but work very well.

And then, to derail my own topic, I bought a box of construction grade garbage bags. They are much heavier, more durable and larger than regular green bags. Perfect for storing the wet indoor/outdoor carpet that seemed like such a great idea to have outside the door.

baglo

Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Double your pleasure

Forgot to mention, the stainless steel 'dish pan' can also be used to boil corn or any other cooking application where a large, deep pan is required. Try that with a plastic dish pan.

baglo
Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Baglo

If your stove top is ferris or semi ferris metal.

Buy a package of those round super magnets from Home Hardware and inset them in the cutting board.

Then stick it on your stove.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Forgot to mention, the stainless steel 'dish pan' can also be used to boil corn or any other cooking application where a large, deep pan is required. Try that with a plastic dish pan.

baglo
Three years ago I was camping with my son at the end of August in the high country of the east Kootenays. I had left a larger stainless steel salad bowl in the sunshine with a roll of paper towels in it. Apparently it caught the suns rays at a perfect angle to set the whole thing smoldering. Kinda funny now but scared us at the time because we where not really spending a lot of time in camp.

"Try that with a plastic dish pan"

cheers,
Gord
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote