Drawer and cabinet door locks?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Exclamation Drawer and cabinet door locks??

Trying to tie up any loose ends, in case we are able to go pick up the 21 this spring/summer. Have heard some folks have problems w drawers, frig doors and/or cabinet doors 'popping open' while on the road. Did a search but didn't see much. Is this a real problem w new 21s or am I worrying needlessly??
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The drawers have a drop down lock and the cabinet fronts have catches installed. If loaded correctly, you should not have any issues. Now going off road, all bets are off.....
Old 03-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #3

Red face road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The drawers have a drop down lock and the cabinet fronts have catches installed. If loaded correctly, you should not have any issues. Now going off road, all bets are off.....
WE are not "off road" folks..just retired folks who love to go camping. I had plenty of off road camping ...as an Asst Scoutmaster 30 yrs ago.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have had a few problems. My silverware drawer fell out, breaking the drawer. A replacement from Escape was $20.00 + shipping. I changed the latch on the large closet to a better latch - I can't find the link, but it uses a ball & heavy adjustable spring. Harder to close, but it stays closed. Lastly, I keep my drip coffee maker & pots & pans under the sink. To prevent the double doors from opening, I added a child safety lock.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
My 2017 21 does not use drop down locks on the drawers (my 2011 17B did). The new "locks" consist of two roller catches per drawer (same as used on the cabinet door latches), and straight drawer slides. They do not work as well as the drop down type & I'll be changing the drawers to the drop down type this summer.

While I do do some off road driving, the majority of opened cabinets & drawers have been on paved roads (bad paved roads).
Old 03-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
FErd, bought these for the small top door above wardrobe. Works great, a little tricky installing- only needed one. https://www.amazon.com/JQK-Cabinet-C...%2C235&sr=8-77
Attached Thumbnails
Door latch.jpg  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
FErd, bought these for the small top door above wardrobe. Works great, a little tricky installing- only needed one. https://www.amazon.com/JQK-Cabinet-C...%2C235&sr=8-77
That is the one I used.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #8

Another issue is porpoising on paved roads, where you tow and trailer go up and down like the fish do in the waves. A weight distribution set up will help those type of roads to keep the tow and trailer fixed. I find switching lanes helps when I get those hiccup roads as I call them.....
Old 03-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
That is the one I used.

Me too.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We have a large bin and a sliding drawer in our pantry that are usually pretty fully loaded with food items. Although the pantry door has a friction latch - two, in fact - on an early trip we had a mishap where it popped open and the entire contents of the pantry slid out onto the floor. I added a small sliding bolt latch on the outside of the pantry door that we keep latched for travel now and we have not had any further problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantry 1.jpg   Pantry latch 1.jpg   Pantry Latch 2.jpg  
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #11

Lucky some of those bottles did not break! I try to pack all heavy items, including food, all down low, clothes, all up high. So far, that process has worked. Those Elfa type drawers also move too easily so I lock them in place behind the closed cabinet door.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have a large bin and a sliding drawer in our pantry that are usually pretty fully loaded with food items. Although the pantry door has a friction latch - two, in fact - on an early trip we had a mishap where it popped open and the entire contents of the pantry slid out onto the floor. I added a small sliding bolt latch on the outside of the pantry door that we keep latched for travel now and we have not had any further problems.
I also installed the Elfa rolling baskets from the Container Store, but went with a different solution. I installed the basket so the front edge was just inside the cabinet frame. This allows us to secure the basket with one of those Camco refrigerator compression retainers. When in camp, the retainer slips easily along side the basket out of the way. Super secure. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
F7196EA0-766B-4D10-A8F0-165199D3BDC3.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have had problems in our 17. Your trailer will come with two roller catches whereas ours only has one per door. Should be fine. Also, I expect the 21 will ride smoother than the 17 as it has twice as much rubber on the road.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I was thinking of something similar for the 2 larger pantry doors..something solid and closed w a hasp. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I also installed the Elfa rolling baskets from the Container Store, but went with a different solution. I installed the basket so the front edge was just inside the cabinet frame. This allows us to secure the basket with one of those Camco refrigerator compression retainers. When in camp, the retainer slips easily along side the basket out of the way. Super secure. See photo.
The Camco compression retainers work even if you do not have baskets installed. Until we started using them, the contents on the shelves could slide against the door and push it open, allowing contents to then fall out on the floor. That never happens now that we use the spring retainers. We also use them in the medicine cabinet for the same purpose. Interestingly, we have found we do not need them in the refrigerator.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I installed these on all of the doors and drawers of an other-than-Escape RV: Futaba push knob latch.

Not in lieu of the OE pulls and friction-catches which could be ineffective on the road, in addition to, using them only as 'travel latches' for absolutely affirmatively 'locked closed' doors and drawers when on the road. I'd 'punch 'em open' upon arrival at the campsite and leave 'em that way 'till departure. They did the job, didn't look 'tacked-on', were robust over time.

Just another option for consideration.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
The Camco compression retainers work even if you do not have baskets installed. Until we started using them, the contents on the shelves could slide against the door and push it open, allowing contents to then fall out on the floor. That never happens now that we use the spring retainers. We also use them in the medicine cabinet for the same purpose. Interestingly, we have found we do not need them in the refrigerator.

We also use the Camco retainers and found they work well.

When we picked up the trailer Escape gave us a bag full of the spring loaded latches and screws they had used and I doubled them up on our cabinet doors.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I installed these on all of the doors and drawers of an other-than-Escape RV: Futaba push knob latch.

Not in lieu of the OE pulls and friction-catches which could be ineffective on the road, in addition to, using them only as 'travel latches' for absolutely affirmatively 'locked closed' doors and drawers when on the road. I'd 'punch 'em open' upon arrival at the campsite and leave 'em that way 'till departure. They did the job, didn't look 'tacked-on', were robust over time.

Just another option for consideration.
Do you have pictures of your install to post?
Old 03-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Do you have pictures of your install to post?
No, sorry, that trailer long-gone and I'm without any pics of the interior.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Drawers

We picked up our 5.0 the day before the border was closed. Traveled 2351 miles interstate. No opened drawers and no loose window knobs. They have changed the knobs and I assume the door latches too.