Drinking water filter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Drinking water filter

When we travel we use bottled water for drinking. Typical for us is to carry gallon jugs for in camp use and bottles for portable situations, like in the truck, out hiking, etc. At any given time we have a case of bottles and 2-6 gallon jugs, replenishing once a week or so. It amounts to a lot of plastic over a 3 month trip.

Looking into the possibility of in trailer filtering and using stainless steel water bottles for on the go.

To make it effective it'd have to do a couple gallons a day, not take up much room, and be easy and convenient to use.

If you do similar I'd be interested in knowing what type of filter you have and if you're happy with it.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interesting topic Bob and timely. I dislike the plastic containers both from a health issue and environmental. I carry a 1/2 full fresh tank from home as well as 5 gal for the dogs. I recently installed on of these at home and I'm really impressed with the taste of the municipal water after filtering, it tastes great. Researching a smaller one for the camper is on going...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

I've got the one in the fridge that filters the "through the door" water, it's fine for at home use.

Would not the one you use at home work as on on the counter filter when traveling? Do you get much water flow from it?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've got the one in the fridge that filters the "through the door" water, it's fine for at home use.

Would not the one you use at home work as on on the counter filter when traveling?
Since the room under the sink in the 17B is limited, I started out with one of the small filters that used canisters with o-rings. Tried a couple of different brands and they all had the same problem - leaks. Seems the lower water pressure & intermittent water pressure (I turn of my pump when not in use) caused them to leak around the o-rings.

I gave up & added a refrigerator filter under the driver's side seat & ran a line to a separate faucet for filtered drinking & cooking water:
Attached Thumbnails
ASE_5783.jpg  
Old 05-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Would not the one you use at home work as on on the counter filter when traveling? Do you get much water flow from it?
It works fine at home, I may purchase another one and try it on the faucet in the camper.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #6

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
water filters

At home we drink the fridge filtered water or we have a bar sink close to the kitchen that has a stainless container with a replaceable filter that claims 2000 gallons for taste and particles. It works for me, I need to start the day with a glass or two of water without taste or smell and then it's onto our coffee. In the trailer we take home water with us that has also been run through a cheap hose filter. On the road I taste the water before hooking up then use the same cheap hose filter. Also under the kitchen sink I cut the cold water line and added another filter. Too many years I put up with airplane water and coffee, not any more.
Jack

P.S. Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's with two or four legged children.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
We have opted for a low tech solution. A Brita water filter. Works great with the rusty water of the Gogebic Iron Range and the skunky and sulphur water of Florida.

A bit more work in that you have to fill the Brita pitcher but it really helps the taste of coffee.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sons of the Pioneers

Hi Jack,
Reminded me of the old western song recorded by many, Cool Clear Water. We go out with about 28 half liter bottles and when we run out we buy more. I don't take any chances with water if I don't have to. Working in Idaho in 69 and 70 we drank out of creeks all summer and got away with it. I figure I used up all my luck then. See you in Osoyoos.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This is very timely for me... am looking for a water filtration for the kitchen. Jim what made you go for that CleanWaterForLess one on Amazon? Also on Amazon close to getting a ShelterLogic 12x20' canopy to replace my gone with the wind one.

Jon, need some additional info: what is a refrigerator filter and how exactly did you make it work in the camper? You added a water line to it under the front seat? Then another line to the countertop faucet? Got any pix of this?
Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jack,
Reminded me of the old western song recorded by many, Cool Clear Water. We go out with about 28 half liter bottles and when we run out we buy more. I don't take any chances with water if I don't have to. Working in Idaho in 69 and 70 we drank out of creeks all summer and got away with it. I figure I used up all my luck then. See you in Osoyoos.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com in Ontario and http://www.crdistillery.com in Iowa use the best water... After them what's left is well... water plain and simple!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This is very timely for me... am looking for a water filtration for the kitchen. Jim what made you go for that CleanWaterForLess one on Amazon? Also on Amazon close to getting a ShelterLogic 12x20' canopy to replace my gone with the wind one.

Jon, need some additional info: what is a refrigerator filter and how exactly did you make it work in the camper? You added a water line to it under the front seat? Then another line to the countertop faucet? Got any pix of this?
Basically price and replacement, some of the replacement filters cost more than the whole system. So I thought I would try this one, got good reviews and 10,000 gal seems a lot for a point of use. Really does help with municipal water, the coffee and ice tea tastes much better, as does the plain water.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
We have opted for a low tech solution. A Brita water filter. Works great with the rusty water of the Gogebic Iron Range and the skunky and sulphur water of Florida.

A bit more work in that you have to fill the Brita pitcher but it really helps the taste of coffee.
We do the same as fudge brownie and use a Brita for all our water consumption needs.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #13

Doesn't a Brita take up half the fridge, or do you just leave it on the counter?
Old 05-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Bob, some links for ya. Not sure how useful they will be, but here you go.

For me, I'd look at the Berkey first to see if that will be appropriate for your family
https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Berkey...s=berkey+water

There are also various hiker solutions but tend to be low flow, low weight types.

Then google'd links to (large) systems
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/SFNT.htm

https://trekwithus.com/the-complete-...er-filtration/

So far, I have just refilled the 3 gallon jug at the local super market when at places with sketchy water.

Also the Brita and the blue Camco water filters are the same filtration - 5 microns? (I believe that is correct). Sometimes I just use my trusty water hose (with filter) to fill my jugs.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have an inexpensive Camco inline water filter for our trailer mainly to filter out sand and particles . We don't buy bottled water mainly because of the cost and the trash it generates.
We do carry a few one gallon jugs of well water from home for drinking and coffee , mainly because some campgrounds use bleach to treat their water .

One thing to be aware of is that some states (Minnesota & Wisconsin) require campgrounds to have their water tested on a regular basis.
Other states have no such requirement. There was a State Park in the southern US that had high levels of coliform bacteria in their water and it was detected by a private group . The state had not tested the water in over 3 years and was unaware of the problem.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #16

The Brita just sits on the counter or outside on the picnic table. It takes two fills of the top reservoir to make a pitcher and having it outside can speed the process. On some of the sites with a spigot it may stay at the faucet between fills. One pitcher usually lasts the day.

The first fill is really fast to process, for fastest results one can empty the lower reservoir between fills. I am guessing less than 5 minutes.

The Brita information states that it is not appropriate to use the Brita for water purification, only for taste.

No refrigerator space involved. If you want cold water, add ice or transfer the water to a container better sized to your refrigerator.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We do basically the same as Paul, but with the addition of the fact that we never put any water into the fresh tank without running it through one of the RV hose mount filters and then a PUR countertop pitchers. It has always given us very good tasting water.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
My wife and I pondered this too, and we decided to get a Zero water pitcher (like a Brita) and this weekend was our first go with it. We also pre-filtered our water with a Camco in line filter.

I know the New Hampshire water might have been tastier than some to begin with, but it came out of the pitcher after filtering, with zero taste. Funny. Thats their name too... We had it in the fridge, but took it out as it is rather large. Adios, gallon jugs...it's like we never knew you.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
A good summary of water filters for household use.https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...ers/step3.html
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:52 PM   #20

Do either of your in line RV filters claim to sanitize or remove bacteria? Not that it is necessary, just curious.