Driving with Propane on Fridge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Question Driving with Propane on Fridge

Hi Escape community!!
Any opinions on driving down the road with the propane on for the 3 cu ft refrigerator? VS the solar electric? I am going on a long trip this summer and don't want the food to spoil as we have 6-8 hour driving days in the hot weather. I have a 2018 17B. 1 battery. 160W solar panel.

During the orientation at ETI, I was told to not use the solar for the fridge for more than an hour or two, not to drive with the propane on the fridge and to put an ice pack inside if it was going to be a long time or use a cooler with ice. Seems like there is something else besides a cooler that I can do? That seems counter intuitive.

Thank you!
Old 04-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
I tow 12hrs a day with my 17B fridge running on propane. No problems.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post

Someone told me your vehicle has to be level. But I am driving in the mountains so that is not going to happen. Heard anything about the need for the fridge to be level to work? Thanks
Old 04-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirCedar View Post
Hi Escape community!!
Any opinions on driving down the road with the propane on for the 3 cu ft refrigerator? VS the solar electric? I am going on a long trip this summer and don't want the food to spoil as we have 6-8 hour driving days in the hot weather. I have a 2018 17B. 1 battery. 160W solar panel.

During the orientation at ETI, I was told to not use the solar for the fridge for more than an hour or two, not to drive with the propane on the fridge and to put an ice pack inside if it was going to be a long time or use a cooler with ice. Seems like there is something else besides a cooler that I can do? That seems counter intuitive.

Thank you!
I always travel with the fridge on propane...never a problem. Only stop to shut it off for tunnels and at gas fill ups.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Quote:
Someone told me your vehicle has to be level. But I am driving in the mountains so that is not going to happen. Heard anything about the need for the fridge to be level to work? Thanks
My understanding is that having the fridge level is only important when not traveling.

I usually start the fridge on propane a week or two before a trip to confirm it is working. That way if there is a problem, I have time to get it fixed before the trip. Then a day or 2 before I leave, I start it and get the fridge cooled down to where I like it so that it's all ready to go. While traveling, I will check with an infrared thermometer once or twice to make sure it is still staying cool and adjust temp as necessary.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
The level requirements were for older refrigerators, and, in any case, would be required no matter what is providing the heat for the refrigerator. Modern absorption refrigerators can operate under about the same out-of-level conditions that you can. Also, the movement provided by driving negates the need for leveling.

The debate on whether the refrigerator should be operated on propane while on the road is never ending. In my case I run it on propane. Even with two 160 watt solar panels & a 9 amp charge from the tow vehicle, after an hour drive, my refrigerator on 12V used more amp hours than my system could provide, resulting in a partially discharged battery. I do have a larger refrigerator (6 cu ft), but many have had the same problem with smaller ones.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The level requirements were for older refrigerators, and, in any case, would be required no matter what is providing the heat for the refrigerator. Modern absorption refrigerators can operate under about the same out-of-level conditions that you can. Also, the movement provided by driving negates the need for leveling.

The debate on whether the refrigerator should be operated on propane while on the road is never ending. In my case I run it on propane. Even with two 160 watt solar panels & a 9 amp charge from the tow vehicle, after an hour drive, my refrigerator on 12V used more amp hours than my system could provide, resulting in a partially discharged battery. I do have a larger refrigerator (6 cu ft), but many have had the same problem with smaller ones.

Thanks John, I like you have lots of experience with RV-ing & ETI's.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When traveling to Chilliwack or Osoyoos, my unit will be on propane the entire 2-3 day trip unless we stop and get hookups.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
6 years plus, always towed with propane running the fridge. Zero issues. Because my fridge is the older RMD 8555 (Dometic European style 8 series) which doesn't work well at all except on Propane, that doesn't change even when we camp with hookups.

As a side note to the OP, this topic often turns into an argument about how "dangerous" towing with propane is, despite any direct evidence to demonstrate it, or any personal experience. I hope that doesn't happen this time.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
6 years plus, always towed with propane running the fridge. Zero issues. Because my fridge is the older RMD 8555 (Dometic European style 8 series) which doesn't work well at all except on Propane, that doesn't change even when we camp with hookups.

As a side note to the OP, this topic often turns into an argument about how "dangerous" towing with propane is, despite any direct evidence to demonstrate it, or any personal experience. I hope that doesn't happen this time.

I totally agree about the argument part. Let's be civil, folks. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I totally agree about the argument part. Let's be civil, folks. Thank you.

Prereprimand?
Old 04-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
PleinAirCedar, as noted above, if you take the time to read all the posts, on this topic, you won't have any time left to travel. I went through the same thing.

The only consistent theme seems to be that we don't seem to generate enough electricity while driving to be able to both maintain our batteries and run the fridge when the fridge is running on electricity. All other options are usable, just a matter of what you think will work for you and what makes you most comfortable.

Its just like getting out of bed in the morning--there are consequences, even though most are too remote to consider. The only poor choice is staying in bed...
Old 04-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
PleinAirCedar, as noted above, if you take the time to read all the posts, on this topic, you won't have any time left to travel. I went through the same thing.

The only consistent theme seems to be that we don't seem to generate enough electricity while driving to be able to both maintain our batteries and run the fridge when the fridge is running on electricity. All other options are usable, just a matter of what you think will work for you and what makes you most comfortable.

Its just like getting out of bed in the morning--there are consequences, even though most are too remote to consider. The only poor choice is staying in bed...
Love this!! Agree 110%. I've read every comment on every thread on this topic since I joined the forum. As a newbie, I was afraid to travel with propane on so I ran the fridge on DC. It did run my battery down. So then I ran it on DC until I was about an hour out from camp, then switched to propane. That worked OK, but I had to remember to do it.

At this point, I've totally stopped with that strategy and just run it on propane all the time. The way I look at it, the risk of my food spoiling or stuff in the freezer thawing are far greater than anything bad happening with the propane. Plus having an ice cold adult beverage upon arriving at camp... priceless.

If I was still worried about it though, I would simply put a block of ice in the fridge or dry ice in the freezer, and turn the thing off altogether.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Same here.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
17b, propane, refrigerator, solar