Dry camping and water pressure - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 06:47 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Looking at the manual the only adjustment is for the pressure switch that most of us know about. Guess it's worth a try.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/76...on.html#manual
Old 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
reading all this makes me think my system is different, but pretty sure we all have the same. I use very little water by barely turning on the tap, as simple as that. when I do dishes, I have just a trickle coming out, when I want to fill up a container, I turn the facet more for more volume. as I understand it, the pump is turned on when the water pressure drops because you turn on the tap. you adjust the water pressure, and volume with the facet. I recently did 8 days dry camping with only using the water from the potable tank, no refills. maybe something is wrong with your pump, IDK? no grand kids in my trailer, maybe the difference? cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndep View Post
I agree - however... how do you adjust the pressure on this pump?
https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pd..._Pass_Pump.pdf
See the section "About the By-Pass"... which tells you not to adjust it, but then explains how the pressure regulation works and how to change it. It's adjustable - they just don't want people messing it up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Looking at the manual the only adjustment is for the pressure switch that most of us know about. Guess it's worth a try.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/76...on.html#manual
That's the same manual as linked above. I'll note that there are two adjustments, for the bypass valve and for that pressure switch, and they need to set in coordination... which is why the manufacturer discourages adjusting them.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Pressure causes flow. You can throw some pressure away in a valve, but that's like controlling the speed of your car by dragging the brakes while still standing on the gas pedal. The alternative is to just adjust the pump to not produce as much pressure in the first place; that's like easing up on the gas pedal.
In concept I agree the pump produces too much pressure and flow to fit our water sipping goals. When any trailer owner partially opens the faucet on their sink, in effect they are adding a restriction to the line, which then limits flow (gas plus brake)This jives with other comments here that say, just open the faucet a little”.

Here are the options
1) a less ambitious pump
2) magically navigate my way through the forbidden adjustments in the Manual and hope I can fix it (without wrecking anything)
3) restrict the main line similarly to how a partially opened faucet restricts the flow.

1 costs the most money.
2 could cost me even more if I screw up the pump calibration
3) simple and cheap?

Feedback appreciated on this line of thinking.
Johndep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #26

Quote:
3) restrict the main line similarly to how a partially opened faucet restricts the flow.
3) simple and cheap?

Yes, I agree that makes sense.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Here are the options
1) a less ambitious pump
2) magically navigate my way through the forbidden adjustments in the Manual and hope I can fix it (without wrecking anything)

1 costs the most money.
2 could cost me even more if I screw up the pump calibration
3) simple and cheap?

1. I agree - relatively expensive, and may not change anything.
2. I would choose this. I don't think you can really damage anything - I believe it is discouraged only because unknowledgeable users may end up chasing their tails by adjusting both pressures incorrectly. If you take some time to understand the adjustments, this is the least expensive, quickest and easiest solution.
3. The easiest to understand, simple, effective, but more money and work than doing #2.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Just brainstorming here- could you pull the screen from the pump inlet filter and create an artificial restriction with something like aluminum foil? Cover part of the screen. That would be simple and cheap.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:56 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just brainstorming here- could you pull the screen from the pump inlet filter and create an artificial restriction with something like aluminum foil? Cover part of the screen. That would be simple and cheap.

Debris in the aerator for my kitchen faucet shuts the pump down. It works like a gas pump, sensing back flow pressure and stopping the flow. So, I doubt that's a solution.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Debris in the aerator for my kitchen faucet shuts the pump down. It works like a gas pump, sensing back flow pressure and stopping the flow. So, I doubt that's a solution.
I’m talking about a partial restriction on the suction side of the pump. Should act similar to shutting a valve part way.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
I’m talking about a partial restriction on the suction side of the pump. Should act similar to shutting a valve part way.
My experience is that obstructing the inlet flow is likely to eventually damage the pump. It seems like turning the pressure down at the pump is the logical first step to experiment with. Since the manufacturer recommends a minimum of 10 PSI difference between the bypass setting and the pump pressure shut off, reducing the pressure shut off, and not touching the bypass setting should not exacerbate the existing problem. I refer to your post #5 in the link below for locating the pressure shut off adjustment screw:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...uns-14802.html

A pressure gauge would be helpful but is not absolutely necessary. One could be temporarily be installed by placing a threaded adaptor at the shower hose connection (as well as several other locations). I have one permanently installed in a tee fitting I installed downstream of the pump.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Here are the options
1) a less ambitious pump

We chose #2.

About a month after we had picked up our 5.0 in Sumas the pump wouldn't shut off. I called Escape and ? (forgot his name and is no longer there) gave me two options (if I remember correctly): 1) turn up the pump pressure or 2) turn down the shutoff point. We turned down the shutoff point. We now have slightly less pressure and like it that way, but wish it was still lower.

An accumulator should arrive on Friday. When I install I'll be also turning down the startup point and turning down the shutoff point. Then again, after all is said and done I might screw it up and buy a new pump.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #33

Trailer: 17b
If the water comes out as a blast you may e getting air in the line. Check that the inlet side of the water pump is tight and not drawing air.
JamieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #34

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT-20
Replace your aerator with these.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
D2E6976F-342E-4981-9CE2-0A1C88820815.jpg  
Mszabokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #35

Quote:
But the restriction would be on the wrong side of the pump, and the pump outlet pressure would be unchanged... unless it cavitates due to excess inlet restriction and kills the pump. A restriction to reduce flow at a fully-open faucet definitely should be downstream of the pump.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
We have a 2020 21NE and find the pressure from the Stock Escape water pump is far to high, causing a blast of wasted water in the sinks and shower rather than a gentle and fined tuned flow. Is there a simple method to throttle down the pressure and thus save precious h2O?
Figure out how to adjust the pump settings. You should be able to turn on the faucet a little and get a nice small stream, ours does. At a small stream our pump cycles on and off to provide the right pressure. Your sink faucet is a valve and you should be able to adjust your flow there...why add more valves Before doing the adjustments I would make sure you have all the air out of the system....it sure seems like you still have air in there. You can rig up a simple screw on pressure gauge if you want to get fancy with your settings.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
But the restriction would be on the wrong side of the pump, and the pump outlet pressure would be unchanged... unless it cavitates due to excess inlet restriction and kills the pump. A restriction to reduce flow at a fully-open faucet definitely should be downstream of the pump.
And, while I don't know about RV water pumps, most manuals state "Do not restrict the input side of the pump".
Old 10-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #38

Quote:
I got it now. Looks like a pump pressure adjustment is in order. I forgot I provided the info on adjustments that SWCO posted above. The Shurflo manual is not complete with regards to this.

Tags
pressure, water pump