Dry camping and water pressure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012
Dry camping and water pressure

We have a 2020 21NE and find the pressure from the Stock Escape water pump is far to high, causing a blast of wasted water in the sinks and shower rather than a gentle and fined tuned flow. Is there a simple method to throttle down the pressure and thus save precious h2O?
Johndep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndep View Post
We have a 2020 21NE and find the pressure from the Stock Escape water pump is far to high, causing a blast of wasted water in the sinks and shower rather than a gentle and fined tuned flow. Is there a simple method to throttle down the pressure and thus save precious h2O?
Yes. Don’t open the tap all the way.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You could install a shutoff valve on the camper side of the water pump. Many of us have a shutoff lever handled ball valve to cut off water to the toilet in case of problems. I use mine to limit water to the toilet as it gets too much pressure so I'm assuming you could do the same for the main line. It's a relatively simple thing to do.

Your the 1st I've read about with too high a pressure. Can you see the manufacturer and model # of the pump?
Old 10-19-2020, 11:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
my guess is you have air in the water line, if that's the problem, it will settle down once all the air is gone, good luck.
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Another cause of spurting water, which only occurs with hot water, is that pressure builds up in the water heater as the water heats up, so it spurts out until the pressure drops. If the high pressure continues, this isn't the issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Many folks are mostly in serviced campsites with abundant water. But for those of us who do consciously conserve water another item that helps is to install an accumulator. It cuts down on the time that the pump runs full blast. The volume of water is quite usable but lower than full output from the pump. Our water pump mostly stays off. When we need it it gets turned on but then off again. Usually for the next few uses there's enough water flow for our needs.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Many folks are mostly in serviced campsites with abundant water. But for those of us who do consciously conserve water another item that helps is to install an accumulator. It cuts down on the time that the pump runs full blast. The volume of water is quite usable but lower than full output from the pump. Our water pump mostly stays off. When we need it it gets turned on but then off again. Usually for the next few uses there's enough water flow for our needs.

Ron
Do you have a link to the accumulator you would pick.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I used a 1 gallon like this https://absak.com/index.php/20799-00...ription_tabbed

Actual useable water capacity is usually 1/2 or less of the overall rated size of the tank. So this one is about a 1/2 gallon, some are even less. Just make sure whatever you get will fit.

Had a 2 gallon in another trailer, that was nice as you could go all night without the pump running.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
my guess is you have air in the water line, if that's the problem, it will settle down once all the air is gone, good luck.
good thought, however it’s easy to recognize the spurting and interruption to floe caused by air in the line and this is bot happening.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Yes. Don’t open the tap all the way.
One word - grandchild
Old 10-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought/learned that reducing the flow/volume does not reduce the pressure with liquids or gas. Thus the pressure is still high, just less of it? Perhaps the water pump needs adjusting for the cut off limit?
Old 10-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought/learned that reducing the flow/volume does not reduce the pressure with liquids or gas. Thus the pressure is still high, just less of it?
While the water is flowing, a restriction (such as a partially closed valve) reduces the pressure downstream of the restriction; it won't affect the pressure upstream (at the pump outlet) which is is controlled by the pump's controls.

It is the reduced pressure which results in less flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps the water pump needs adjusting for the cut off limit?
I agree that if the pump's output pressure is higher than desired, adjusting the pump is the preferable solution. It's just not entirely clear that this is the problem but given the "grandchild" comment this does appear to be the case: the faucet is being opened all the way unnecessarily, and the way to reduce the resulting flow is to reduce the pump's output pressure.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
One word - grandchild
We haven't told anybody that the camper can accommodate more than two people.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Do you have a link to the accumulator you would pick.
I used the 1 liter Jabsco. Of my 100 plus mods I'd put it in the top 5 for worthwhile doing.

Fairly easy install in both the 19 and 21. Other folks have installed them slightly differently. It's pretty flexible where to locate them.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=jabsco+acc...b_sb_ss_i_1_11

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0016_resize.JPG   IMGP0007_resize.JPG   IMGP0008_resize.JPG  
Old 10-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You could install a shutoff valve on the camper side of the water pump. Many of us have a shutoff lever handled ball valve to cut off water to the toilet in case of problems. I use mine to limit water to the toilet as it gets too much pressure so I'm assuming you could do the same for the main line. It's a relatively simple thing to do.

Your the 1st I've read about with too high a pressure. Can you see the manufacturer and model # of the pump?
Shurflo 4008
Old 10-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Shurflo 4008
Old 10-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Shurflo 4008
I realize that pressure is not the issue as much as volume of potential flow. The Shurflo will pump 3 gallons per minute!! So just like the end of my garden hose, restricting maximum flow (system wide ball valve) will be the key to dry camping water conservation. Thanks for your contribution.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #18

Quote:
I realize that pressure is not the issue as much as volume of potential flow. The Shurflo will pump 3 gallons per minute!! So just like the end of my garden hose, restricting maximum flow (system wide ball valve) will be the key to dry camping water conservation. Thanks for your contribution.
Pressure causes flow. You can throw some pressure away in a valve, but that's like controlling the speed of your car by dragging the brakes while still standing on the gas pedal. The alternative is to just adjust the pump to not produce as much pressure in the first place; that's like easing up on the gas pedal.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Pressure causes flow. You can throw some pressure away in a valve, but that's like controlling the speed of your car by dragging the brakes while still standing on the gas pedal. The alternative is to just adjust the pump to not produce as much pressure in the first place; that's like easing up on the gas pedal.
I agree - however... how do you adjust the pressure on this pump?
https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pd..._Pass_Pump.pdf
Old 10-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #20

I should add that having an accumulator tank also "kid proofs" the water system. Our policy on boats has always been to leave the water pump off unless water heating or dish washing was in progress. This was primarily to save water for ourselves in the advent of a leaking tap or system failure while underway.

We especially never left the water pump on when we had guests on board. And if kids were on board for the same reason. Too easy for a person that doesn't understand that there's no water main hooked to let the water flow freely and waste it. With the accumulator tank you get a useable amount to flush the toilet and rinse fingers etc. We get very good water mileage.

Ron

Tags
pressure, water pump