Dual-Axle Leveling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Dual-Axle Leveling

We have a 21' on order. In the past, we just used 3/4" and 1 1/2" lumber to level our trailers. But I'm now interested in the various leveling products that are like small ramps - similar to these Amazon.com: Camco 44573 Yellow Tri-Leveler: Automotive or even Lynx blocks.

Is there enough room between the tires on Escape dual-axle trailers for these to work? Thanks.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Andersen leveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
We have a 21' on order. In the past, we just used 3/4" and 1 1/2" lumber to level our trailers. But I'm now interested in the various leveling products that are like small ramps - similar to these Amazon.com: Camco 44573 Yellow Tri-Leveler: Automotive or even Lynx blocks.

Is there enough room between the tires on Escape dual-axle trailers for these to work? Thanks.
Previous forum discussions indicated that with a slight trimming, the Andersen levelers work.
Andersen Camper Leveler Andersen Tools AM3604

You might be able to use a combination of wood blocks for one axle, to the approximate height, while at the same time using the Andersen or Camco product on the other axle for the final adjustment. The trailer will sit at about the average of the two.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I used to use the various layers of wood, but gave in to the ugly plastic blocks. They store in a nice square area, and are lighter too. I bought the Lynx Levelers.
Lynx Levelers

I have been contemplating the Andersen Levelers, but you know, it really is not that tough with just the blocks. I look at the level, decide how much I think I need, put the trailer on top, and do this once more if needed. Not really all that tough. And, I rarely am ever on a level site where I mostly camp.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
These work well for us. Why buy a leveler that you must cut and grind to fit ?
Ramble RV Levelers, Set of 2 - Four Corners D10-171 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #5

Trailer: No more Escape 21
I used the Lynn type blocks on my 21 without any problems . . .
Old 11-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Andersen levelling, jack, and accessory kit

We got Andersen's full set of trailer levelling and stabilizing gear. We trimmed the levellers a bit, and they and the chocks worked flawlessly with our Escape 21.

The four stabilizer pads are handy, as is the shoe scraper for outside the trailer door. We didn't have cause to use the tandem axle jack, but I've read that it works well. Everything fits in the duffel bag, which goes in the storage box on the hitch.

3600 - Ultimate Trailer Gear duffel bag
Attached Thumbnails
duffel-bag-full.jpg   duffel-contents-separated.jpg  
Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Another happy Anderson user here. Cut & trim easily on a bandsaw without grinding.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Who was it that posted the Anderson (wedge) that was used on slippery ground and it slipped and jammed between the tires?

I have TWO BAL levelers. Don't want to hear about how heavy and greasy they are, they're not. Works for me!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We use the Andersen Levelers. we had ETI cut about an inch off when we picked up the trailer, and then i took a wood rasp to them and beveled the edges a bit. took about 30 minutes all told. They work well, but probably a few blocks would work just as well. However, the Andersen's are easy to use.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use a set of the Ramble levelers and they do fit between the 21 wheels without any trimming. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...set-of-2/29418
Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
After four years of camping in our Escape 19 I decided it was time to replace the scrap lumber used for leveling. Actually, I think some wet or green firewood needed some kindling and the levelers went up in smoke. Along comes the Escape 21 and we made the step up to the plastic "lego blocks" for leveling. They worked just as well as the scrap lumber but they looked nicer. We were now professional campers.

After several trips in our 21 I noticed a lot of trailer rock, with the wheels chocked and all the jacks down I felt the need for some sea legs to handle the bounce. Out came the pocket book and Amazon obliged by sending a single wheel stop. It was an improvement but still not as stable as the old 19. Now our 19 was one of those odd ones that shipped with scissor jacks, maybe that made a difference. At any rate a second wheel stop has stopped the sea sickness.
Attached Images

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I use a set of the Ramble levelers and they do fit between the 21 wheels without any trimming. Ramble RV Levelers, Set of 2 - Four Corners D10-171 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
I use these on my 19' and got the idea from Jim...they are great!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Another vote for Lynx levelers - work fine on the 21.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
It looks like there are lots of good options out there. I think we'll just buy Lynx levelers. Simple. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I use a set of the Ramble levelers and they do fit between the 21 wheels without any trimming. Ramble RV Levelers, Set of 2 - Four Corners D10-171 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
That's what we use also, recommended to us by Ian and Jenny. Our ONLY issue with them has been that I sometimes wish they provided a little more lift.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Who was it that posted the Anderson (wedge) that was used on slippery ground and it slipped and jammed between the tires?

I have TWO BAL levelers. Don't want to hear about how heavy and greasy they are, they're not. Works for me!
We have the Lynx blocks and wedges but no longer rely upon the wedges after having our 19 roll over them. We were setting up in the dark on gravel and didn't notice the hole that our trailer wanted to roll into after we unhooked from our truck. Luckily we had just purchased the BAL X-chock and were able to stabilize the trailer and get it back where we wanted.

Lynx blocks for leveling and BAL X-chock for stability. Solid combination.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I was all set to buy them plastic blocks. Changed my mind, glued up 2x8's, invested that 39 bucks: Two cases of Pabst. Worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Levelng.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Myron, do they stay put when you try to back up on them, like on grass? I'm getting tired of the 5' lengths of 2x, it's a hassle to lift out of the truck with the 5th wheel blocking the tailgate. I like the extra height of the Anderson's but so I've balked at the price. I do like the Bal-X chock, one works very well for us and only takes a couple seconds to put on or take off. Out of habit we still use the yellow plastic chocks too. I like the home made jobs, if they don't slide.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yes they have stayed put, even dig down in some, but admit have not used on grass yet. If sliding should happen (doubt it) adding a 1/2-inch cross cleat, will solve the problem. Trailer weight it seems to me, prevents the slippage. (Also made my own wedge-between the tires thing, but rarely use it.)
Old 11-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks, think I'll give it a try, the price is right.