Dumb usta be blonde generator question - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
So far all i can think of is to carry the spare in the back of the SUV -ugh- and making a platform between the two 6v batteries on the bumper for the Gen. apart from that, does anyone have suggestions apart from just staying home when its hot?
The spare tire could be moved off-centre, although how far is limited by blocking the tail lamps (which need to be visible from both sides to a reasonable extent). The generator could be on the other side... again dependent on the tail lamp, and placed to clear the body and the battery case. No guarantees, but it might be worth having a look at how the tire and generator could fit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Or one of those hitch mounted carriers for the generator, use a lock though.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #43

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Front mount?

Sally, I'm not sure what you tow with, but is there any way you could mount a small carrier on the front of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Gen on front.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Changes the definition of a "fender bender."
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Sally, I'm not sure what you tow with, but is there any way you could mount a small carrier on the front of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I can't imagine how filthy the generator would get mounted on the grill. If I had to carry it that way, I'd cover it with something.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #46

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Just need a front end receiver hitch and a carrier to fit, and I'm pretty sure Honda still makes fitted covers for their generators.
Attached Thumbnails
Front receiver hitch.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #47

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Sally love you dog ! I have a rough coated jack she hasn't participated in any organized barn hunts but she is a killer gets mice at our horse barn always hunting!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #48

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Sally,
This off-set cargo carrier from HF should work well for holding the genny and whatever else you might want to place on it.
Attached Thumbnails
20170502_100959.jpg  
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #49

Trailer: 2012 17B
Great ideas though I'm going to play 'yes, but..'. Highlander won't take a front hitch. With my old Suburban I used to carry my spare tire there, once hit a deer full on at highway speed and ended up with not a scratch on the vehicle. (Can't say the same for the deer .) Rear cargo carrier, again the worry about dragging on any kind of driveway rise. Does anyone use one on their Escape?
Actually I'm back to 'in the Highlander' though I'd rather not due to weight lifting. Having a senior moment it didn't hit me that there was no gas odor from the Generator as it was still in the box! Smell came from the 2 gal gas tank which can be strapped to the rear bumper.
Wish there were a thread about 'where do people carry things'. For example, a folding recliner.
FoxHunt, will PM you. Dog and horse talk.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #50

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Sally:
By the way, you may see the more expensive "Companion" model Honda which has a 30 amp locking plug but don't be fooled. You would still need an adapter because this is not the style on the trailer cord end. The companion is made for when two generators are twinned together and it would typically be the second one you buy.
A related question if I may .... I have the 2000i Companion and the 30 amp cord adapter. When I fired-up my generator with the trailer's power cord attached, my AC did nothing; the thermostat was set sufficiently low to activate the AC. Nothing happened after waiting over 5 minutes - no AC, the generator's circuit breaker didn't trip, nor did the trailer's circuit breaker for the AC.

Signed, "Dazed and confused in Tucson, AZ where it's going to be 113 today (thank heaven for shore power at our RV site!)"
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In the end, what are the EXACT steps Sally should do?

1. Nothing running on electric inside, including off the batteries?
2. Start the generator
3. Plug the trailer plug into the generator
4. Start Air Conditioner

I don't even know the steps.. I don't have a generator!

Y'all have been helpful. But absolute, positive steps would be better...
Once again, Donna brings ELI5 clarity to a confusing (for me and others) situation. Much appreciated, Donna!
Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #52

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
A related question if I may .... I have the 2000i Companion and the 30 amp cord adapter. When I fired-up my generator with the trailer's power cord attached, my AC did nothing; the thermostat was set sufficiently low to activate the AC. Nothing happened after waiting over 5 minutes - no AC, the generator's circuit breaker didn't trip, nor did the trailer's circuit breaker for the AC.

Signed, "Dazed and confused in Tucson, AZ where it's going to be 113 today (thank heaven for shore power at our RV site!)"
Zardoz: The Companion model should still work. You just aren't getting full amperage out of the 30 amp plug on that unit until you twin it with a regular 2000i. Did you confirm you definitely had 120V in the trailer by testing the microwave or a receptacle? If you have the EMS it could have been locked out on open neutral (need to switch to bypass or use a GEN-plug as described earlier) and not allowing power to the trailer. How big is the A/C and does it have soft start? Is it possible there was power to the trailer, but the generator was overloaded when the A/C was turned on (overload light turns red and green power output light goes off after 4secs) which could mean the inrush current was too high to start the A/C. Engine continues to run so if you aren't looking at the indicator lights you might not know it is happening.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #53

Thanks much! Soon as I have the opportunity, I'll run your diagnoses. Why wouldn't the Companion provide the full 30 watts? Just curious ...
Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Thanks much! Soon as I have the opportunity, I'll run your diagnoses. Why wouldn't the Companion provide the full 30 watts? Just curious ...
The 30 amp plug is really on the Conpanion model for convenience and direct use with an RV when you are using the paralleling kit with another 2000i.Otherwise if being used alone it is no different than being plugged into the standard receptacle. There is no advantage of the Companion model over the standard model if you are just running one unit by itself.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
Sally,
This off-set cargo carrier from HF should work well for holding the genny and whatever else you might want to place on it.
Came across this same HF ATV rack used as suggested on a Casita with a Low-Pro Lockdown for security. Also add a locking hitch pin!

If clearance is still a concern the rack can be welded with a 90 degree rise to raise the rack higher. We did this on one we had purchased, but then sold it with the Scamp. Never put it though its paces.
Attached Thumbnails
gen with lowpro.JPG   rack.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Came across this same HF ATV rack used as suggested on a Casita with a Low-Pro Lockdown for security. Also add a locking hitch pin!

If clearance is still a concern the rack can be welded with a 90 degree rise to raise the rack higher. We did this on one we had purchased, but then sold it with the Scamp. Never put it though its paces.
My set up is very similar but I used an aluminum carrier to save a little weight. I did have to add a pair of 2" wide aluminum bars (using pop rivets) to attach the lockdown plate. Seems to work well.