DVD Player Replacement? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
DVD Player Replacement?

I am looking for a single Din AM/FM DVD player to replace the original Jensen my 21' came with. It is starting to jump on DVD's and I have always had problems with hum since the get go. I don't want to remount the TV so it can't be a double Din. It must have inputs for sound from the TV and video output for the Samsung TV. I am thinking about a Pioneer unit like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6046TFJG&psc=1

The selection of name brand single Din is pretty small these days.
I am wondering about the unit ETI is installing now. I think they are Boss. I am a bit skeptical of the quality of the Boss, but the price is right. Wondering what the experience has been with the Boss units folks have in their newer trailers? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Hi Carl - Just found out this morning that ETI is using the Magnadyne LS675 unit.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Boss seems ok once i figured out how to wire it to the TV you have to do it yourself. It attaches to the back and the only way to attach it is to remove the unit and then plug it in then reinstall it (cant reach it with out taking it down too tight a space on the back). but once i figured that out it worked well.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Hi Carl - Just found out this morning that ETI is using the Magnadyne LS675 unit.
Can't seem to find that. Magnadyne LS675C is a speaker. They do have some interesting DVD units.

Zig Ziglar
Old 08-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
DVD's are still a thing? huh.
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I'm sorry Carl ... you're correct. I mistakenly gave you the speaker model. Sorry.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Boss seems ok once i figured out how to wire it to the TV you have to do it yourself. It attaches to the back and the only way to attach it is to remove the unit and then plug it in then reinstall it (cant reach it with out taking it down too tight a space on the back). but once i figured that out it worked well.
I had always thought you could feed the tv through the speakers but never figured out how to do it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I had always thought you could feed the tv through the speakers but never figured out how to do it. Loren
for that to work, the TV needs an aux audio out, or a headphone jack, and you need a wire from the aux out or headphone jack to the stereo aux input.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The only video output on the Boss unit is a composite video on the back. It seems borderline idiotic to convert a digital video signal from a DVD into the second-worst analog video signal format in existence, to then feed it to a fundamentally digital high-definition monitor. On the other hand, it may be that all of these DVD players intended for use in cars are similar.

I've tried looking for a single-DIN DVD (or preferentially Blu-ray) player with HDMI output, but not found one... although I didn't spend much time at it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:32 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The only video output on the Boss unit is a composite video on the back. It seems borderline idiotic to convert a digital video signal from a DVD into the second-worst analog video signal format in existence, to then feed it to a fundamentally digital high-definition monitor. On the other hand, it may be that all of these DVD players intended for use in cars are similar.

I've tried looking for a single-DIN DVD (or preferentially Blu-ray) player with HDMI output, but not found one... although I didn't spend much time at it.
DVD is inherently an SD format, 480p is the best it can do. Its SD is as good as SD can get, better than full bandwidth OTA analog broadcast, but its still analog SD output. Most DVD setups used S-Video to feed the TV, or Y/Y-R/Y-B component analog (Y = lambda = luminance).... HDMI didn't come along until HDTV and Bluray.

anyways, I just looked at a bunch of single-din decks, seems like the DVD decks all just have the yellow RCA composite output, otherwise they are basically car stereos.

there's a bunch of small home BD players that are like 10x8x2", give or take. here's a Sony thats 9.1x7.6x1.5" but I think they are all 120VAC.

here's a RV 12V bluray player with HDMI output...
https://camec.com/rv-media-12v-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

hmmm. there's this... JENSEN DVD/USB/AUX/HDMI/APP Ready Bluetooth Wall Mount Stereo
It has a 17" face, but the cutout behind it is only 11x2.9", and 6.5" deep...
12V stereo/dvd/bluetooth, with HDMI input and output,...
Old 08-17-2018, 01:43 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
hmmm. there's this... JENSEN DVD/USB/AUX/HDMI/APP Ready Bluetooth Wall Mount Stereo
It has a 17" face, but the cutout behind it is only 11x2.9", and 6.5" deep...
12V stereo/dvd/bluetooth, with HDMI input and output,...
that actually looks like a pretty cool RV sound system. it has 8 speaker outputs, divided into 3 zones, A,B,C. zone A is 4+sub, zone B and C are stereo. I'd have one zone hooked up to external speaker connectors, for my outdoor speakers at music festivals. the controls seem pretty straight forward. it has a android/iphone jControl remote that works over bluetooth.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
looks interesting. The Boss is not the greatest. Would be nice to use blueray DVD. i don't watch a lot of TV but enjoy watching movies. Also streaming music is nice and to have outside speakers to occasionally listen outdoors.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
looks interesting. The Boss is not the greatest. Would be nice to use blueray DVD. i don't watch a lot of TV but enjoy watching movies. Also streaming music is nice and to have outside speakers to occasionally listen outdoors.
Last trip I burned a bunch of movies to a 128 gb thumb drive from DVD's. A useable movie to watch on the 25" Samsung took about 1.2 gb. Sixty movies and still had room for 50 more. Left the drive plugged into the TV the whole trip. Full resolution would take 5 per but not significant difference to my old eyes.

Zig Ziglar
Old 08-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What did you use to copy them to the thumb drive?
Old 08-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What did you use to copy them to the thumb drive?
WinXDvd

I couldn't get some disks to burn due to the heavy copy protection. They were all disks I own so no copyright issues. i am no hacker by any means.

l liked this, it got rid of a cabinet with a big stack of DVDs in it.

Zig Ziglar
Old 08-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #16

Thanks, my kids have bunches that we've never seen. Be worth a shot.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
DVD is inherently an SD format, 480p is the best it can do. Its SD is as good as SD can get, better than full bandwidth OTA analog broadcast, but its still analog SD output. Most DVD setups used S-Video to feed the TV, or Y/Y-R/Y-B component analog (Y = lambda = luminance).... HDMI didn't come along until HDTV and Bluray.
The old big laserdiscs were analog, but a DVD is so digital that "DVD" literally means Digital Versatile Disc. When it came out TVs were all tubes so analog was fine. HDMI (or another digital interface, such as DVI) was required for digital signals and popularized by Blu-ray, but any DVD player made in the last couple of decades should have a digital output (normally HDMI, because it conveniently combines video and audio, and is essentially universally supported by home video equipment). While the resolution of DVD video is SD, there's no need to distort it with digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital conversions. Even worse, the composite output is inferior to S-Video and component analog formats, adding more degradation.

My guess is that giving up on the DIN mount and going with a small non-DIN-sized Blu-ray player such as those which John found would provide the best performance and quality.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
that actually looks like a pretty cool RV sound system. it has 8 speaker outputs, divided into 3 zones, A,B,C. zone A is 4+sub, zone B and C are stereo. I'd have one zone hooked up to external speaker connectors, for my outdoor speakers at music festivals. the controls seem pretty straight forward. it has a android/iphone jControl remote that works over bluetooth.
John …. I think the stereo looks great …. although I couldn't understand hardly any of the description. Also being the sophisticated searcher that I am, couldn't find a price.

I got skipped over by not having any kids so all this is above and beyond me. I just want a big knob to control the volume and another knob to change stations. I can handle a selector switch to choose between AM, FM, Aux-1, Aux-2 ….. where do I go to find something that really sounds good?

Sadly, I have been really enjoying the tributes to Aretha Franklin …. what a voice!

Tom
Old 08-18-2018, 01:34 AM   #19

$360 at Crutchfield.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JWM...caAufJEALw_wcB
Old 08-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just hauled two Sony bookshelf speakers to the recycling centre, dumping them in a box with VCRs, CD players, DVD players, and I'm hardly done. I've got a 5 disc CD player and two DVD players that I've yet to get rid of, even though I haven't used them in years. Have the DVDs and CDs to go with them.
Have an iPod Classic that I don't use either.
I wouldn't buy and permanently install anything.
My iPhone and a Bluetooth speaker can handle all my entertainment needs, inside or out. I transferred all my CDs to digital files on my iPhone and I have my iTunes purchases. I can download podcasts from CBC and NPR and listen to them later. Apparently, I can download movies from Netflix, but I've not done that yet.
I've been dragging a 15" TV and a 7" portable DVD player around ( along with a half dozen DVDs ) for probably five years. My copy of A Clockwork Orange is still in the the cello pack. Wife won't watch it.

Used to ask why people sit and stare into a campfire, and the answer was, "well, there's nothing else to look at". These days, you can download the Yule log and watch it on the 55 inch TV in your pop out entertainment centre.

What you gonna do? What you gonna do, when they come for you?