E02 Error - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
E02 Error

Sooooo, we're getting ready to head out on Saturday and, while I was cleaning, I noticed we had no power (we're plugged into the house receptacle as usual). The display read E02 which means there's an open ground. Tried unplugging, resetting breakers, etc. and then, right before ETI called us back, my husband wiggled the round receptacle where the wires come into the trailer from the outside and, voila, power. We spoke with ETI and Dave thought it strange that that would cause the error but, we let it go ... we had power! No sooner did we hang up than "click" the E02 error came back. Wiggled the connection again and it went back to E0. A few minutes later, "click" and E02. We're thinking there's a loose connection where it comes into the trailer and that it needs to be rewired but were wondering if anyone had a similar thing happen and, if so, what their resolution was. (Do have a call into the mobile tech .... ) We've used the trailer about five or six times since pickup with no issues whatsoever.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Someone just posted yesterday with the same issue, removable power cord was shorting out.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

Whoa!! Missed that one. We will replace and see if that's the problem. Thank you!!!

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 07-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #4

See post #116 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...-15758-12.html
Old 07-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

I took that post as an indication his connection inside the trailer was the problem, not the external removable plug. "The poor electrician had to take the bed off, climb into the cavity below, and straddle himself between the slats to remove the receptacle that connects to the 30 amp service. The exterior plug would not unscrew and they were disgusted with how difficult It was to access." I'm hoping ours isn't that bad.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 07-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #6

I believe the short was the wiring inside with the wires going to the removable plug inside, yours maybe the same, see if the error goes away if you move it inside, under the dinette.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

That may be beyond our expertise. Time for the electrician .... Thanks.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
That may be beyond our expertise. Time for the electrician .... Thanks.
Please remember to get pre-authorization for your warranty work.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #9

Yes, thanks for the reminder. We talked to Dave this evening and plan on calling him again tomorrow.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 07-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe the short was the wiring inside with the wires going to the removable plug inside, yours maybe the same, see if the error goes away if you move it inside, under the dinette.
A "short" is an unwanted connection, allowing current to take a 'shortcut' instead of going through the intended path. The problem here is the opposite:
Quote:
... The display read E02 which means there's an open ground.
An "open" circuit is the lack of a connection: typically a wire which is supposed to be attached to a terminal is not clamped properly and is not making proper contact.

The problem which I noticed recently reported at the inlet was an intermittently open connection, not a short. An open hot or neutral connection will interrupt power; an open ground connection won't be noticed until it fails to protect someone or something from hazard when the hot side is shorted to something by a fault... or when a tester such as the EMS finds it.

Both an open hot or neutral or an open ground could occur at the inlet... or at any connection point.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:01 AM   #11

My bad, I call a short anything out of the ordinary with electricity, meaning it is not operating as designed....
Old 07-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
CADreamin,

On the last trip to Osoyoos and back we would get that code about half the time when plugging in the detachable cord.

My view of the situation is that involves all three legs of the cord making the proper contact with the trailer. When attaching the cord, the socket appears to allow a few degrees of rotation when making the connection and then the black locking ring can be applied, also by using some rotation.

The trailer will either immediately show 120 volts as it cycles through its electrical reports and then allows full use in 60 to 90 seconds, or it will instantly show E02, in which case I try connecting again.

I’m not sure of the best technique for attaching, or if something has become loose or worn.
Hoping you get some info upon inspection. We are away from home non-trailering.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
An E02 fault according to the manual is an open equipment ground
The problem could be in
1 ) There is no equipment ground at the power source ( Receptacle / pedistal )
2) Faulty /worn receptacle at the power source
3) Defective trailer power cord ( Broken conductor , bad connections at cord caps , defective cord caps )
4) Defective power inlet at trailer
5) Loose or burnt wire connections at inlet
6) Broken wire between inlet and EMS
7) Bad , burnt ,or loose wire connections in EMS

If I was going to guess the problem is probably in the traile inlet or the female cord cap on the
trailers power cord . I know that on my trailer when plugging the cord into the inlet the connection does not feel positive ( It’s Sloppy)
I plan on changing my power inlet to a marine grade which is of much better quality and redoing the wire terminations . Loose electrical terminations seem to be an issue with Escape trailers , I have found several on my trailer already
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I know that on my trailer when plugging the cord into the inlet the connection does not feel positive ( It’s Sloppy)
I plan on changing my power inlet to a marine grade which is of much better quality and redoing the wire terminations.
Steve: I'm confused. I thought the removable power cord option means you get a "marine grade" power inlet and corresponding cord. Please let me know what you plan to replace it with. I used a Marinco unit when I upgraded from the fixed cord. I have also heard of the SmartPlug.
Attached Thumbnails
ExteriorRear.jpg   removable_power_cord.jpg  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #15

Thanks to all for your thorough and insightful responses. We were thinking of buying another removable cord and seeing if that helps; however, we're still planning on trying to find an electrician that can look at our electrical connections.

I PM'd the owner that had the problem mentioned in another thread and her response was that her problem turned out to be inside the trailer, where the 30 amp wiring was not 'stripped' properly. Thus, the connection to the 30 amp receptacle inside the trailer was not sound. They put in a new receptacle, as well as rewired the connection to the receptacle. Her detachable cord was not involved in any way.

We shall see what can be done. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, we were scheduled to leave Saturday for Bandon so we'll probably just rely on our solar if this can't be straightened out before we leave. I was going to cancel; however, our driveway and trailer pad are scheduled for leveling and resurfacing while we're gone ... Nothing is ever simple.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
We shall see what can be done. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, we were scheduled to leave Saturday for Bandon so we'll probably just rely on our solar if this can't be straightened out before we leave. I was going to cancel; however, our driveway and trailer pad are scheduled for leveling and resurfacing while we're gone ... Nothing is ever simple.
Don't let this affect your trip. I wouldn't normally recommend this but given it is just an intermittent open ground issue you could simply switch the EMS to bypass. This would allow you to use your 120V power.

To be safe maybe you can wiggle the cord when connecting with EMS in normal mode and make sure the EMS evaluates the power and connects. That way you know you have proper conditions when connecting. Then you can switch the EMS to bypass to avoid the nuisance E2 trips. Unless something drastic happens to the power while you are at the site (high/low voltage) you should be just fine. In bypass the surge protection functionality remains. For anyone cringing at doing this let's remember that many trailers don't even have an EMS and you are at the mercy of your power source.
Attached Thumbnails
EMS control.jpg  
Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 ft Escape
I just checked and the RV techs replaced my damaged 30 amp plug with a Marinco on my trailer. I was under the impression it was considered more capable of handling all the juice involved.
Another benefit is it's easier to screw on without scraping your knuckles.
CA...I'm sorry this may affect your travel plans.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Both my 2010 and 2017 came stock with Marinco marine plug and cord sets. Both detachable. Did ETI ever use anything else?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Steve: I'm confused. I thought the removable power cord option means you get a "marine grade" power inlet and corresponding cord. Please let me know what you plan to replace it with. I used a Marinco unit when I upgraded from the fixed cord. I have also heard of the SmartPlug.
I plan on changing my inlet to a Marinco
There is no mention I can findin any of the Escape literature that references a “ marine grade receptacle “ What Escape installed is code compliant just not the quality I would have preferred to see
It doesn’t matter how good the receptacle is if the connections are not done properly !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 19 ft Escape
Bingo...
I don't have the old receptacle of course, but maybe someone else has a 2015 and can check.
This was just an impression I got from the tech...apart from the actual evidence he showed me of the damage and poor connection.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote