E2 Weight Distribution Hitch Doesn't Fit Receiver - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2022, 11:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
E2 Weight Distribution Hitch Doesn't Fit Receiver

We just picked up our 17B in Sumas today. Super excited, but have one minor problem. The E2 weight distribution hitch that we ordered with the trailer (from ETI) doesn't fit into the receiver on my 2021 Toyota 4Runner. The delivery driver that dropped it off in Sumas just said call Escape and hitched the trailer up to my existing hitch which isn't sized properly. We are getting ready to drive 1400 miles back home and I would like to get this properly installed.

Has anyone else had this problem? I assume the solution is to find a local shop that can grind it down, but I worry that I may go down a hole of unapproved adjustments to the hitch if something else doesn't work. Also, if this is the best solution, can anyone recommend a shop in Bellingham vicinity that can do this. I have not heard back from Escape trailer and I'm running out of time.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 17B
You need a 2 inch hitch receiver for the E2 Weight Distribution Hitch. I believe you likely have a class 2 hitch which has a 1 1/4 inch receiver. A class II hitch is only good for a max. trailer weight of 3500 lbs. with a tongue weight of 525 lbs. A class 3 hitch is good for a trailer weight of up to 8000 lbs. and a tongue weight of 800 lbs. My 17B when loaded is at least 3500 lbs with a tongue weight of 450 lbs. Do not grind down the E2 receiver. In my opinion you should have a class 3 hitch on your SUV. Ask Escape Trailer about it to make sure you have the right hitch on your SUV.
BC_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It seems unlikely that a 2021 4Runner would have a 1.25" hitch receiver, or that anyone would seriously suggest grinding 3/4" off of each dimension of a hitch shank to fit it in a receiver. I think a 4Runner comes with a stock receiver (only ball mounts and balls are offered as accessories by Toyota.com for a 4Runner), and that receiver would be a 2" Class 3 hitch to match the vehicle's 5,000 pound trailer weight rating.

Does the E2 hitch shank just not quite fit in the receiver (because both are about 2" square), or is it almost twice as big as the socket in the receiver (which would be a 1.25" square)?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Camper View Post
A class II hitch is only good for a max. trailer weight of 3500 lbs. with a tongue weight of 525 lbs.
There is no standard tongue weight capacity for a hitch class (which is determined entirely by gross trailer weight rating), but 10% of the trailer weight capacity (so 350 lb for a 3500 lb capacity Class 2 hitch) is common for weight-carrying applications. 15% is common for weight-distributing (WD) applications, but with no WD equipment commercially available in the 1.25" size typically used for Class 2 hitches, it would be rare to find a hitch rated for a tongue weight that high.

Quote:
A class 3 hitch is good for a trailer weight of up to 8000 lbs. and a tongue weight of 800 lbs.
Despite nonsense from some sources, even hitch manufacturers, the upper limit of Class 3 - according both industry standards (VESC V-5 and SAE J684) - is 5,000 pounds. A hitch rated for 8,000 pounds (or anything else over 5,000 pounds) is a Class 4 hitch.

Quote:
My 17B when loaded is at least 3500 lbs with a tongue weight of 450 lbs. Do not grind down the E2 receiver. In my opinion you should have a class 3 hitch on your SUV.
Yes, almost any recent Escape will need a Class 3 or higher hitch, simply because it's unlikely that a Class 2 hitch could be found with sufficient tongue weight capacity. The 4Runner likely already has a suitable hitch.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 17B
Trailer Hitch

Here is info from Etrailer’s website as a guide to choose a trailer hitch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D22D74E0-0484-455F-B5E6-908378B55DEC.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	60774
BC_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 4Runner likely already has a suitable hitch.
Absolutely - my elderly 2012 4Runner definitely has a 2" x 2" receiver opening, and I'm certain that Toyota didn't change it on newer vehicles. In fact, ball mounts from different manufacturers had various excessive amounts of sloppy free-play on mine. Weird that the OP's has too small of a receiver opening.

I didn't want the ball mount flailing around loose in the receiver bashing up everything, so I ended up bending up a thin piece of aluminum sheet (with positioning tabs fore and aft) to add a sacrificial layer of aluminum between the top surface of the ball mount and the inside of the top surface of the receiver opening. That took care of the up-and-down slop. I got a Tri-Max clampy thing (TAR300) to take care of side-to-side sloppiness. It lives inside the ball mount and clamps it firmly into position from the side. No more ball mount slamming around loosely inside the receiver - it's now firmly ensconced in the receiver, and I don't have any sloppiness.

Anyhow, to the OP: we have a lot of miles towing our E19 with our 4Runner - 3 big loops through the US southwest and a long tour of Alaska - without a WDH and had no issues. I'm certainly not going to either second-guess your WDH decision or presume to tell you what to do, but if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about your WDH-less trip home. I installed Timbren helper spring / bump stops on the rear so I have minimal rear droop; you'll see more than me. Just make sure to have your brake controller dialed in ok, have the trailer sitting level, and have an appropriate tongue weight percentage.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_4162.jpg   trimax.jpg  
Old 02-11-2022, 03:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I had a 2017 4Runner. It does have a 2x2 but needs a little fitting.

The problem is that the spare tire is directly behind the receiver tube. The receiver tube is shorter than most. When I had my 4Runner, I had to drill a second hole in my WDH drawbar and I think I shortened it a bit.

One option would possibly to drop the spare. I think it will go in further.

I hope you got this figured out. Any RV dealer or mechanic near by should be able to help out.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My 2020 4R has a 2" receiver.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #9

Thanks all for weighing in. My 2021 4Runner does have a 2" class III receiver. The E2 weight distribution hitch shank does not fit into it, not even as far as 1/8". Almost, but no cigar. I'm pretty sure I'll just have to grind it down, maybe only the corners which may be the problem. I was just curious if this is a common problem.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I have a 2015 4runner with Equal-i-zer, which is the same manufacturer as the E2, and it fits fine. I think the 4runner is a tight fit. Before I installed this WDH, one of the stingers (don't remember which brand) I tried would not fit for a similar reason - one of the corners stuck out a bit so it wasn't perfectly square and wouldn't fit. Maybe something is wrong with the stinger - is there another vehicle with 2" receiver you can try it on?
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:09 PM   #11

Heads Up For Toyota Owners

Problem solved. I talked to Dave at ETI and he told me this is a very common problem with Toyota factory receivers. The corners are more rounded than some of the hitch shanks, especially the E2, thus the fit problem. The easy solution is to use a grinder to round the corners of the shank on the E2 hitch. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a shop in Bellingham that was willing to do that simple 2-minute job and I don't have a grinder with me. Many said it would be a liability issue and others simply said they were book up for the rest of the year and not taking on jobs, no matter how small. Long story short, I found a "friend of a friend" with an angle grinder and had it done in about two minutes.

Side note: Now my trailer is riding almost perfectly level with the E2 WDH hitch. Escape trailer did a great job setting it up (other than the shank problem). If you are ordering one of these hitches for a new trailer that will be towed by a Toyota, I recommend letting ETI (Dave) know ahead of time so he can grind the corners before you pick up your trailer.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Good deal. Have a safe trip home and enjoy your new trailer.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Very glad you got an answer from Escape, and that things worked out for you. Hope you enjoy your new trailer.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Here is info from Etrailer’s website as a guide to choose a trailer hitch.
Attachment 60774
Yep, nonsense like that. There is no "Class 5" (or "Class V") in either standard.

But it is true that generally Class 1 and Class 2 receivers are now 1.25" square, higher classes are generally 2" square, and some larger sizes have become common... although it isn't specified in the standards, and there are some Class 2 receivers that are 2" square.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
Problem solved. I talked to Dave at ETI and he told me this is a very common problem with Toyota factory receivers. The corners are more rounded than some of the hitch shanks, especially the E2, thus the fit problem. The easy solution is to use a grinder to round the corners of the shank on the E2 hitch. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a shop in Bellingham that was willing to do that simple 2-minute job and I don't have a grinder with me. Many said it would be a liability issue and others simply said they were book up for the rest of the year and not taking on jobs, no matter how small. Long story short, I found a "friend of a friend" with an angle grinder and had it done in about two minutes.

Side note: Now my trailer is riding almost perfectly level with the E2 WDH hitch. Escape trailer did a great job setting it up (other than the shank problem). If you are ordering one of these hitches for a new trailer that will be towed by a Toyota, I recommend letting ETI (Dave) know ahead of time so he can grind the corners before you pick up your trailer.

I have read it before, with a Tundra I think.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Whatever ETI is paying Dave Warren they should double it. He is the rock from pre KV Private Equity ....
Old 02-13-2022, 06:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Whatever ETI is paying Dave Warren they should double it. He is the rock from pre KV Private Equity ....
He’s the best I’ve always asked for him when I had issues early on of owning our 21
Old 02-13-2022, 07:08 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have had good luck with Melissa or Joldie with my questions re: production. I think most of the employees are a lot more proficient now than earlier.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:20 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Dave Warren Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We agree. He's always been responsive to our questions, with all the right answers.

Here's an example, I'd been corresponding with Dave over a small issue (best way to replace marker lights). He noticed that we didn't have drip rails over our frameless windows, so he just went ahead and sent us material and instructions!
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Melisa W. in configuration and Sharon in delivery have been exceptionally helpful to us so far. I spoke with Samuel at length once and Harrison briefly as well, and they were both quite cordial. We’ve been very happy with Escape thus far. We hope and expect the good impression continues when we actually receive our 21C.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4runner, doesn't fit, e2 wdh, grind