Electric jack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Electric jack

I have a 2017 19 with a manual jack. I was thinking about adding an electric one. My question is can i replace the manual jack with an electric one and still keep my propane tank cover. I have the front storage box. Any recommendations on brand of jack to get? Thanks a million. Cold in NE Ohio but camping is on the horizon.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
There should be no problem unbolting the old and installing a power unit...I did it...just add power.
Should cost you around $100. I will let someone state side suggest one but I would image there is something suitable from Harbour Freight.
Keep in mind if you install a secret switch in the power line to the jack, it would make it confusing for some else to take your trailer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
There should be no problem unbolting the old and installing a power unit...I did it...just add power.
Should cost you around $100. I will let someone state side suggest one but I would image there is something suitable from Harbour Freight.
Keep in mind if you install a secret switch in the power line to the jack, it would make it confusing for some else to take your trailer.
Any issue with keeping your propane cover. I thought I remembered reading somewhere on the forum several years ago that both wouldn't fit.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Any issue with keeping your propane cover. I thought I remembered reading somewhere on the forum several years ago that both wouldn't fit.
Hard to imagine why it would necessarily be an issue. The trailers that come from the factory with an electric jack have propane tank covers and storage boxes.
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I went from a manual jack to electric on our classic 2016 19. It was very easy, especially with the battery in the storage box. And no, did not have to remove our propane cover.

I just drilled a small hole in the bottom of the storage box to route the wire to the battery
Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Any recommendations on brand of jack to get?
I don’t have one but have done some research. Would most likely get one of the Barker VIP models. High quality and made in the USA.
www.barkermfg.com/power-jacks.html
Old 02-07-2020, 06:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
I had decided on a 'secret switch' and while looking for a place for it discovered an inline fuse in the jack power line just in front of the 7 pin junction box on the frame, under the front edge of the storage box.

Easy to get at without getting under the frame. Just pop the fuse in/out and you have a on/off switch.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I had decided on a 'secret switch' and while looking for a place for it discovered an inline fuse in the jack power line just in front of the 7 pin junction box on the frame, under the front edge of the storage box.

Easy to get at without getting under the frame. Just pop the fuse in/out and you have a on/off switch.
Not sure how your fuse holder is built or is located but some will allow the battery end to be exposed if the fuse is not installed. Using a small tie strap on the wire keeps the end from sliding back and contacting the frame. Better yet...also replace the fuse with a stick or dowel the same size as the fuse. This will look like everything is normal.
Of course if it is a blade style fuse holder you should not have a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
46CDFBC2-BB6C-414A-89E1-862A6A2F4CBD.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Ralph
We have a 4500 lb Bulldog jack. It’s 7 seasons old and works fine. It fits with propane tanks with cover and the storage box on the 2013 Escape 21. It really helps when hooking up or unhooking the Anderson WDH. The chain connectors can be adjusted to the thread count you desire and then the tongue lowered to snug them up.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Ralph
We have a 4500 lb Bulldog jack. It’s 7 seasons old and works fine. It fits with propane tanks with cover and the storage box on the 2013 Escape 21. It really helps when hooking up or unhooking the Anderson WDH. The chain connectors can be adjusted to the thread count you desire and then the tongue lowered to snug them up.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Dave. Hope all is well. Finally getting a little winter weather in NE Ohio today. It's been quite a mild winter so far. Looking forward to camping season. How about that caucus?
Old 02-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Not sure how your fuse holder is built or is located but some will allow the battery end to be exposed if the fuse is not installed. Using a small tie strap on the wire keeps the end from sliding back and contacting the frame. Better yet...also replace the fuse with a stick or dowel the same size as the fuse. This will look like everything is normal.
Of course if it is a blade style fuse holder you should not have a problem.
Mine is a blade fuse holder, so no break in the wire, just remove the cover, pull it out and replace the cover. It is located on the frame directly under the front edge of the storage box.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Winter weather

Quote:
Thanks Dave. Hope all is well. Finally getting a little winter weather in NE Ohio today. It's been quite a mild winter so far. Looking forward to camping season. How about that caucus?
Hi Ralph
Remember that line from Jeremiah Johnson
“Winter stays long up here” well it stays a long time at about 600 ft elevation too. This corona virus is serious business but we had Streptocaucus here last week. Oh well they are all gone now, on to the land of real good maple syrup. Politics at any level never were my forte’. Our power jack came with the trailer and has been good. Didn’t have one on the 19 but they do make it easier.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote