Emergency Exit no weep holes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Emergency Exit no weep holes

I have noticed that the Emergency Exit window (the newer one piece window) does not have any weep holes. Water and dirt build up in the bottom channel and when closing the window some of that water is splashed to the inside. Anyone know the reason for no weep holes or the thinking for this design? Thanks for your input.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I've noticed the same thing on our new 19, and I, too, have splashed water inside on the cushions when shutting the window. Also, the weather stripping has already started coming unglued at the bottom of the window and I'm guessing it could be due to the water pooling there.
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Me thinks this is an emergency window and it was not made to be used on a daily basis. This is the reason the weather stripping is coming off. No weep holes on mine either.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
See the thread at http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...dwow-1599.html which may shed some side-light on this discussion.

k&ksitte

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #5

I've not had leaking problems. My question relates to water collecting in the frame and sitting there and potentially compromising the seals. Now that we have experienced this window we have no intention of using it other than in an emergency. So has anyone added weep holes to drain the water??
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

If you do not disturb the gasket by opening the window repeatedly, then the gasket will keep any water out. When I move my 19, you can see the water come out. Due to it's design there are no weep holes. The water rolling down the window can be lessened with a gutter system, but I still have water along the bottom part which sits there until I move the trailer. Here is what I installed EZE-RV Gutter System™ 10' package - Black - Essential Products BLK01002 - RV Gutter - Camping World
Old 04-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I just spoke with Reace about this issue and he is sending me some new "weather stripping" that adheres to the VERTICAL part of the channel that runs along the bottom of the window, as opposed to the current weather stripping that runs along the BOTTOM of the channel.

He says this new stuff will not pull off when the window is opened (like mine is doing due to sitting in pooled water) He did say that even though it's an emergency exit window, it is indeed designed to be used on a regular basis.

He said he didn't know exactly why the manufacturer didn't install weep holes in this window. He has tried drilling holes in the bottom channel, but due to the way the window tilts in at the top it just doesn't work well. So the water may still pool at the bottom of the window, but Reace assured me that the new weather stripping he is sending should keep it from splashing inside when shutting the window, and it should not sit in a pool of water and then pull off like mine is doing.

Lisa
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #8

Those who use this as a regular window, what do you do with the push rod? To keep it out of the way, you have to open the window entirely otherwise it is sticking out way into the back of the seat. Also, when the window does sweat you have a gigantic screen to remove to get to the glass. We had a slider emergency window in our previous small trailer and you could use it in the rain and it never leaked. It was easy to wipe the glass down. It also had weep holes and didn't accumulate water and dirt. I much prefer the older style slider windows that some of you have. This one piece emergency window just isn't very functional in a 15B.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 17
photo of EZE gutter on molded fiberglass
Link
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #10

Here it is on my Escape's escape window
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0112.JPG