entry door frame delamination - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

entry door frame delamination

The decorative plastic sheet on the entry door frame has delaminated on both sides of the vertical frame pieces. I had a similar problem with the folding table along the side of the sink. The surface material completely separated and wound up on the floor while traveling down the road. I used contact cement to glue it back in place on the table...so far, it has held. I've tried contact cement on the door frames, but the spaces are very tight and the results are unsatisfactory. Has anyone experienced this problem...and, if so, how was it dealt with. Thanks for any input...

Rich
Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by macknet View Post
The decorative plastic sheet on the entry door frame has delaminated on both sides of the vertical frame pieces. I had a similar problem with the folding table along the side of the sink. The surface material completely separated and wound up on the floor while traveling down the road. I used contact cement to glue it back in place on the table...so far, it has held. I've tried contact cement on the door frames, but the spaces are very tight and the results are unsatisfactory. Has anyone experienced this problem...and, if so, how was it dealt with. Thanks for any input...

Rich
Hi: macknet... Pictures would sure help in understanding your problem. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

pictures?

I took a picture and tried to attach add it to the email but couldn't find an option to do so. How do I attach a photo to an email?

Never mind, I think I figured it out...

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4150.JPG  
Old 09-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'll ask, what year trailer and what model? It's not in your visible profile..
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

Hi: macknet... Looks like the board that the screen door frame was made of has some issue making the laminate pull away from the particle board. This is easily replaceable by removing the screws from the brackets and scribe the shape on a new piece of MDF or white shelf board. I made a shelf storage across the top of our door frame. We have the bi-fold screen door from 2007. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
3$ Mod. before.jpg   3$ Mod after.jpg  
Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #6

thanks for the input

Donna D. asked: "what year trailer and what model?..."

2010 Escape 19

escape artist suggested: "Looks like the board that the screen door frame was made of has some issue making the laminate pull away from the particle board. This is easily replaceable by removing the screws from the brackets and scribe the shape on a new piece of MDF or white shelf board..."

That pretty much describes the problem. I think interior temps over 100 degrees F is the issue. When the temps are up it peels away, when the temps are cooler, it curls back into place. I was hoping to glue the sheets back into place on the particle board without having to dismantle anything. Guess I'll have to either let it flap about loose or try some sort of temporary fix until I park the trailer for the winter when I can tackle it as an off travel season project. Thanks for the input...

Rich
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #7

Hi: macknet... I'm sure Reace at Escape would have an opinion and would like to know about the problem. They would most likely do a replacement at the factory if you headed north for some cooler weather temps. Hope you can get it resolved. Alf
Old 09-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I imagine that if the temps inside your trailer constantly exceed 100° F that this would have an effect. If the gable pieces that the screen door mounts to were made of painted plywood instead of a laminated fiberboard, this would eliminate your problem there.

Contact cement is weakened with higher temps, and in fact, if you need to remove the laminate without hurting the substrate, heating the surface helps facilitate its removal. Not sure what type of contact cement Escape uses, but the water based stuff actually handles heat better than the solvent based.

I would definitely bring this to Reace's attention. He may have a solution, and would at least like to know about it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe Escape stopped using particle board and switched to plywood sometime in 2011, hopefully that should prevent future occurrences.