Entry Step - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Just looked at my 2019 E19 with lift kit, it is around 11" to the top of the first step, hard to tell exactly because the the trailer is not on level ground, seems strange that you have this "no drop down" step.
Thanks Effie - this is the model I am hoping to get. Now that Escape offers a two step option, do you think this is a good idea with the high axle lift, or is the approximately 11" step okay?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We have an E21 with no axle lift, built in Dec 2018 and it has the drop-down step. Where we are presently parked (slight incline to door side) it is 8 1/2" to top of first step and ~11" to step up into the trailer.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And, no, no, no, our solution will not be any type of freestanding step stool.

Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
We bring one of these, stored just inside hte door when traveling,
Nope, don't want the nuisance of having to one up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have one just like John's. I originally bought it so my Mom could step on it then on the running board of my truck. Otherwise she struggled.

Now it rides in the doorway of Ten Forward, with legs out and in place. I keep carrying it as a convenience for anyone that comes to visit the inside of my trailer. I certainly don't know everyone's physical ability, just seems like a nice thing to do. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Thanks Effie - this is the model I am hoping to get. Now that Escape offers a two step option, do you think this is a good idea with the high axle lift, or is the approximately 11" step okay?
It is hard to generalize, for us it's fine most of the time, in some campsites it could be an inch of two higher or lower. It comes down to personal preference and physical abilities, in a few years I may wish I had the two step option, but for now I prefer to have the additional clearance of the single one.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Thanks John for posting that Camco adjustable step, we just ordered one on Amazon. At the Inyan rally first campground the site was uphill so nose of trailer was high and step down was very high. Found an almost flat stone which worked. I like the idea of the adjustable legs so if you get a site sloping away at the door you can make a level step.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Negative, no high lift axle.

I know what you mean about pulling out and dropping down. That's what our 19 did.

No, this one just pulls more or less straight out like a drawer, no drop down.

The photo somewhat distorts the situation. The first step up is 14" then 7" to the trailer floor.

Ron
Ron that is different from the original . That is the one I put on our trailer but we also use a portable step . In other words I changed ours to that one . The original was killing my knee going in and out . A 2 step is what you want . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina

About five days after we picked up the trailer we were approaching Salt Lake City from the north in a interstate construction zone. As we drove though a lane shift area surrounded by large truck a flat piece of metal appeared on the road in front of the truck. Looked like a small road sign. I had no options but to drive over the piece of metal. It was on the passenger side. Immediately heard a loud metal against metal sound. I checked the TPMS and all tires indicated Ok. Later we pulled off the interstate south of Salt Lake City and stopped at a Walmart to replenish bottled water. When I went to the trailer it was then I notice what had caused the sound we heard. The lower part of the step support was bent toward the forward trailer tire at about a 45 degree angle. I think the step support had obviously saved that tire and perhaps also the rim. With the tools I had on the road I could not repair the support and for the next three week it was a big step up into the trailer for two old guys with bad knees. Got home repaired the support and I don't know how high the step is now but it beats the heck out of what we had for those three weeks
Old 09-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I just measured the step on my 2017 21' with high lift. The top of the step to the ground is 11". The top of the step to the door threshold is 11".

Oh, and it looks it is time for painting again - it's amazing how fast the paint chips!
Tom that is the drop down model we had originally . I changed ours to the one Ron has . Not so far exiting the trailer 7 in I believe but we also have a portable step . I couldn’t find a 2 step that would fit . Our step is small in width I think 18 in . So I needed to make something work . I got the model number from a forum member who also changed his . Bought on Amazon . Pat
Old 09-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Thanks John for posting that Camco adjustable step, we just ordered one on Amazon. At the Inyan rally first campground the site was uphill so nose of trailer was high and step down was very high. Found an almost flat stone which worked. I like the idea of the adjustable legs so if you get a site sloping away at the door you can make a level step.
i might add, that step is /really/ solid and steady. my wife has bad knees, short legs, and is rather overweight, this helps immensely. we also really appreicate the 'stripper pole' inside the door.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron that is different from the original . That is the one I put on our trailer but we also use a portable step . In other words I changed ours to that one . The original was killing my knee going in and out . A 2 step is what you want . Pat
Nope, what I want and will get is a step that drops down a bit when it's pulled out.

You're right about different though. During my quick research before contacting ETI I saw that there at least 3 different manufacturers of RV entry steps. I asked Dustin if they'd changed manufacturers and he said he thought the change had been made at the time of the introduction of Gen 2 models. Same idea, slight difference in appearance.

Ron
Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my wife has bad knees, short legs, and is rather overweight

Let us know how this turns out.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Nope, what I want and will get is a step that drops down a bit when it's pulled out.

You're right about different though. During my quick research before contacting ETI I saw that there at least 3 different manufacturers of RV entry steps. I asked Dustin if they'd changed manufacturers and he said he thought the change had been made at the time of the introduction of Gen 2 models. Same idea, slight difference in appearance.

Ron
I hear you Ron but I am older then you and couldn’t handle too long distance going in and out of trailer . Pat
Old 09-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #34

I hear you too Pat,

My hobby is making adaptive devices for disabled people. Right now a step that drops down a bit works for us. If it didn't I'd be first to look other ways to making entering and exiting safer and easier.

We're lucky that one (lower) step works for us. We're in and out of the trailer a lot during the day when we're travelling so not having to set out a step stool each time we stop is a convenience.

Oh, on the age thing, you might be surprised.

Ron
Old 09-13-2019, 10:51 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have the same stepstool platform as John and Donna. I bought this at Camping world and zip tied it flat out to the top of the platform using the grommets. It makes a great scrape your shoes spot and keeps a lot of sand/dirt/muck out of the trailer. I just turn it over and tap it a couple times to dislodge any dirt caught in it before storing it in the doorway on departure. https://www.campingworld.com/prest-o...gs%2Fstep-rugs
Old 09-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz
my wife has bad knees, short legs, and is rather overweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Let us know how this turns out.
What do you mean by how "this" turns out? I think he is referencing how helpful the adjustable camco stool mentioned in the thread is for his wife.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #37

Quote:
I hear you too Pat,

My hobby is making adaptive devices for disabled people. Right now a step that drops down a bit works for us. If it didn't I'd be first to look other ways to making entering and exiting safer and easier.

We're lucky that one (lower) step works for us. We're in and out of the trailer a lot during the day when we're travelling so not having to set out a step stool each time we stop is a convenience.

Oh, on the age thing, you might be surprised.

Ron
Ron just had another birthday . We can compare notes at Quartzite. Sometimes the ground is just right and can make due with the changed step .Pat
Old 09-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I do not think the high lift option would impact as the frame remains the same height, it is the trailer body being raised 2", thus your second step would change going in from the outside but the 1st step should remain the same regardless.....
🤔 don’t think so. Axel is bolted to bottom of frame and the the lift puts a spacer between axel and frame. What would be the point of putting the trailer higher on the frame?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My bad, I knew the axle stayed same height and assumed the portion of frame the step was also remained same, with a higher second step into the trailer.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have the stock step, and only on the rare occasion when the grade slopes drastically away from the trailer door do we have any concern with the height of the step, but even then it is a matter of knowing where the step is and adjusting our use and using the assists if really needed.

We are both young yet, in our early 60s, so maybe in time.........

Jasper is 11 and often does not use the step at all. Darn dogs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote