Escape 19 bench seat storage- getting a new Escape next month!!! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19'
Escape 19 bench seat storage- getting a new Escape next month!!!

Hello all!

I’m having my new Escape 19 delivered next month, and I am trying to have as much organized as I can before it arrives. I am wondering about the internal storage dimensions of the bench seats. I believe the top of the bench is about 24” or 25” deep, but I know that those dimensions are likely not the same at the base of the internal storage.

Would an item that is 21.5” x 21.5” x 3” fit flat at the bottom of one of the benches?

Also, I believe I remember seeing someone post photos on the forum of their bench storage. It looked like they had a bunch of plastic storage bins that fit perfectly in the benches. I’ve tried to find that post, but I cannot seem to locate it. Does anyone have any recommendations for plastic storage bins that fit well in the benches?

Thank you all for your help!
Marie
Marie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Here is production picture of the 19 bench.
Note part of the top of the seat that opens is missing and is only a part of the top.
What you see is permanent including the wide awkward support right in the middle.

The drivers side has part of the black tank in it and the power box.
Attached Thumbnails
F08585C1-D887-4B16-B30D-BA134F164C9E.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #3

Thank you so much for that photo- I really appreciate it! I had no idea that awkward support was there.

I will actually be having my black tank deleted- I’m opting for a composting toilet and more storage space in the front benches. I wonder if those strange support beams will be in the front driver’s side bench since the wooden box that held the black tank is gone… I’ve opted to have a double dinette so I will also have bench seats in the back. I wonder if the support beam will also be back there?

Thanks again,
Marie
Old 03-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Here is production picture of the 19 bench.
Note part of the top of the seat that opens is missing and is only a part of the top.
What you see is permanent including the wide awkward support right in the middle.

The drivers side has part of the black tank in it and the power box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie123 View Post
Thank you so much for that photo- I really appreciate it! I had no idea that awkward support was there.

I will actually be having my black tank deleted- I’m opting for a composting toilet and more storage space in the front benches. I wonder if those strange support beams will be in the front driver’s side bench since the wooden box that held the black tank is gone… I’ve opted to have a double dinette so I will also have bench seats in the back. I wonder if the support beam will also be back there?

Thanks again,
Marie

I have a 2020 19 and they do not have those support on either side. In fact the 1x4's don't even go all the way to the wall. the plywood is what holds the whole thing together. The limiting factor is the opening of the seat cover. I know you can get two double milk crates in there I can measure it tomorrow if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0494.jpg   IMG_0495.jpg   IMG_20210205_140611.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Maybe you were remembering this:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...yep-14948.html

Just click on the link and scroll down a ways. More pics and updates will happen someday when I don't have anything else to work on.

This is in my 2015 19', but I would guess that the inner dimensions are very similar to the new ones. Six of the boxes fit just about perfectly (only 5 shown), and there is even room along the side for a couple of the small folding tables from Camping World (and elsewhere). And our fresh water funnel and a couple of empty Costco 1 gallon milk jugs live behind the vertical support. If you're interested, I can dig up the labels from the boxes and let you know where I got them.

I included a few more pics.

Congrats on the new 19'.
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpeg   image2.jpeg   image3.jpeg  
Old 03-18-2021, 11:41 PM   #6

Thank you all so much for your help!!!

@NEWYORKHILLBILLY- I’m glad to hear they redesigned the brace. It looks like it may have been awkward to try and fit anything large with the previously pictured brace. Thank you so much for offering to measure the bench! I would really appreciate it if you could.

@Great Eggstrications- That’s exactly the picture I was looking for!!! Thank you! If you could find the labels, that would be awesome! I would love to have the bins pre-packed for when the trailer arrives. Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-18-2021, 11:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think most of us have packed our trailer before we got it. A few trips later, we're taking stuff out. Lots of it ends up on those blue tarps for free stuff at rallies.

I'm still repacking after 12 years with my 17B. Swapped that 7 lb. Coleman oven for a six-pack of beer yesterday.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:27 AM   #8

Quote:
@Great Eggstrications- That’s exactly the picture I was looking for!!! Thank you! If you could find the labels, that would be awesome! I would love to have the bins pre-packed for when the trailer arrives. Thanks again for your help!
Even better than labels...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/IRIS-12-...0300/300735845

They're pretty beefy and tolerate getting thrown around very well - no brittleness or cracking, and they stay quite soft and flexible even when it gets really cold.

I'll measure my Gen 1 19' dinette bench storage space tomorrow. If the dimensions are the same as or close to what @NEWYORKHILLBILLY has, and we can assume that his and yours will be the same, then these boxes should work out quite well for you. Looks like we've got some serious transitivity going on here.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sometimes it is best to leave things the way they are and wait until you can get inside your unit to see exactly what is what.........if I knew everything about my Escape then there would not be half the excitement available.....
Old 03-19-2021, 12:44 PM   #10

Hope these measurements will help
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210319_133233.jpg   IMG_20210319_133432.jpg   IMG_20210319_133407.jpg   IMG_20210319_133344.jpg   IMG_20210319_133315.jpg  

Old 03-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #11

also storage under bed. I got the idea from eggscape
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210126_091733.jpg   IMG_20210125_120819.jpg   IMG_20210126_091757.jpg  
Old 03-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #12

I know I’ll likely repack and sort everything again- figuring out what I need and what I don’t. I would wait a little to see the trailer to figure out storage etc., but the trailer is running a little behind schedule. I’m planning to take an extended trip fairly quickly after it arrives.

@Great Eggstrications- thank you so much for providing a link to the storage bins!!! Hopefully the bench dimensions are similar to NEWYORKHILLBILLY’s- those storage bins would be perfect!

@NEWYORKHILLBILLY- I really appreciate that you provided all these photos! Please correct me if I’m wrong, but from the photos, it looks like an item 21.5” x 21.5” x 3” would fit flat at the bottom of a bench- but just barely. Crossing my fingers that the dimensions are similar to Great Eggstrications bench for the storage bins. Thanks again!!!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
@NEWYORKHILLBILLY- I really appreciate that you provided all these photos! Please correct me if I’m wrong, but from the photos, it looks like an item 21.5” x 21.5” x 3” would fit flat at the bottom of a bench- but just barely. Crossing my fingers that the dimensions are similar to Great Eggstrications bench for the storage bins. Thanks again!!!
21.5” x 21.5” x 3” will fit on the floor area no problem, But getting it in there will be a problem unless you change the support. If you look at opening is as shown its 16.5" x 12 ". so some mod would have to be done to the center support . is this something you paln on leaving in there then you could take the center support out and put it back in after you install. If you want to be able to remove it i don't see how that would work with the current design. I had the same problem at pickup as we had a long trip planed and I wanted storage. I knew i was going to do the milk crates so i packed all are stuff in them and just used Them for the trip. I then did my mods latter.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:33 AM   #14

Passenger dinette bench seat 2015 E19:

front-to-rear - overall interior and top access opening: 42.5"

front-to-rear - top plywood surface: 44"

side-to-side - overall interior: 21"

side-to-side - top access opening: 13.25"

side-to-side - top plywood surface: 24.25"

height: 15.375"

right-front radius: 6" or so

I don't have the central horizontal 1x4 that's shown in @NEWYORKHILLBILLY's photos; I just have the single one toward the front.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #15

@Great Eggstrications- Thank you so much for posting the dimensions!

With the exception of the top access dimensions/bracing, the other dimensions still seem pretty close. I think with just a little maneuvering when putting in/removing the storage bins, the storage bins should still work perfectly in the newer front bench!

Since I’m doing a double dinette, to my understanding, the dimensions of the front dinette and rear dinette benches should be the same- with the exception of the length. I’m hoping they still only use one brace running from front to back (like NEWYORKHILLBILLY’s front bench). If that is the case, the space between the center brace and the sides of the benches will be longer. So, hopefully, there won’t be any issues fitting something 21.5” x 21.5” x3” in the passenger side rear dinette bench.

Thank you all so much for your help with this!!!
Marie
Old 03-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #16

Happy to help. I know that I've been helped any number of times by the fine folks on this forum.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
When we had a 19', we had them put a cabinet door on the end of the bench by the door. That gave us a good place to put grubby shoes or boots coming into the trailer. We actually blocked it off with a space big enough for a cat box and let our camping cat have that as her "private place". It worked well. This assumes you have the model with the dinette in the front of the trailer.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
Under the bed, my husband put long drawer slides that held 2 god sized storage boxes each. He had one for his clothes, I had one for mine. Made getting up in the am much easier.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Avoid SWaP creep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think most of us have packed our trailer before we got it. A few trips later, we're taking stuff out. Lots of it ends up on those blue tarps for free stuff at rallies.
This is great advice. After each trip, we try to remove all, non-contingency or seasonal, items we have not used. Our goal is for most items to have multiple uses. Our under bench storage includes drinking water bottles and shoes (near door).

SWaP = Space, Weight, and Power

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #20
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
Under the bed, my husband put long drawer slides that held 2 god sized storage boxes each. He had one for his clothes, I had one for mine. Made getting up in the am much easier.
You'll have plenty of room with those "god" sized storage boxes.
Sorry ... I couldn't resist.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote