Escape 19 Roof Puddles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Escape 19 Roof Puddles

I spent yesterday morning going over the roof of my three year old Escape 19. I read on the forum how to properly use the 303 Protectant and since I had a bottle I thought I would give it a try. In preparation, I cleaned the roof and noted that the driver side roof was much dirtier with an accumulation of grime on both sides of the bathroom roof vent. In the past I have noted that water will not drain off the roof when the unit is level, and frequently there will be a water fall off the back when raising the tongue to hitch up.

For the first two seasons I stored the unit outside during the summer months and would raise the tongue to encourage water to drain off. I am not sure that would always work because the bathroom roof vent would act as a dam and keep the water puddled in front of the vent.

Has anyone else noted puddled water on their roof?

At the same time I noticed some of the dabs of caulk that were placed on the rivets holding the bathroom roof vent have come off. I think they were to reduce the chances of the rivet leaking. Not sure how sucessful that implementation proved to be. Do you think they need to be resealed with whatever white caulk was used?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Re: Escape 19 Roof Puddles

Good observation about the caulking. Should be min20 year at the least..My 17B is only 6 months old but now I will check before winter storage.Thanks
Mike...
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Get a tube of Dicor self leveling caulk from a RV store. Seal the exposed rivets etc. If I were you I would buy a good marine wax and wax the roof. The wax will help the water move off the roof.
Chuck
Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
JCZ

Paul, is this your first time of being on the roof of your trailer? Have you ever used the 303 Protectant or any other sealer or wax on your trailer since it was new three years ago.

Inquiring minds want to know? I kind of obsess on the look good of my vehicles and I'm wondering if once a year will be enough or will I feel like I need to do it every six months?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Yeah, I have some puddling on the roof of my 19, too. The factory mold should have been made with more slant toward the outsides in those sections on the roof, but too late now. I just smack it off with a chamois. I 303 the roof of my 19 once a year, using a damp terry cloth. The roof has always beaded up water -- the 303 is great stuff. I tend to go OCD with it -- it'll even keep your tires from surface oxidizing and cracking. I do that every other year.

Bruce

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

JCZ - not the first time on the roof, I have kept it waxed, at least annually. Also had many pine sap drips from from a N. Wis campground that took many hours to remove, when I was doing outdoor storage there was a nearby tree that put black specs on everything, also the sun baked everything in a hard mass. Glad I now have year round indoor storage.

Bruce - thanks for the reassurance. I agree it seems to be a factory mold issue or the interior supports for the bathroom need to be a tad longer(taller) to raise the roof and facilitate drainage. I can't believe you are chamois off the collected water after every rain.

Anyone else notice this issue?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Oh no, not after every rain. My 19 lives in a carport, I only chase water after a wash.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote