Escape 21 & Bigfoot 21 Owners Experience with Rodents & Insects in Main Cabin - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Escape 21 & Bigfoot 21 Owners Experience with Rodents & Insects in Main Cabin

I am trying to decide between an Escape 21 or Bigfoot 21.

One major problem experienced by my stick trailer friends is rodent and insect (usually ants) infestation within the main cabin. Last month, one of my stick trailer training partners told her trailer is infested with field mice. As I have camped with my BF 19 trailer in open fields while on dog training grounds, I added this issue to my list of concerns when trailer shopping.

My impression: One big advantage of a BF 21 (4 seasons) is that rodents & other nasty pests have a hard time getting into the main cabin. That’s because the bottom of the trailer - including all plumbing pipes - is sealed. And the outside cubby holds (except power cord) don’t lead into the main cabin.

I am not sure if the same can be said for Escape 21.

And, keeping an open mind, I concede I may be wrong in assuming Bigfoots are pest proof.

So my question is what experience have Escape & BF 21 owners had with pests?
What did you do about it? We’re you able to ID & seal off their entry point(s)?

I am particularly interested in hearing from people who have owned both Escape & Bigfoot trailer.

Once again, this is a timely thread as I am trying to make a decision.

Thanks
Jane P.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
If you have a cord that has to be shoved into the camper you'll get rodents/ants. We've had rodents/ants in every camper with the permanently attached cord at one time or another, including our 25RQ Bigfoot. Those cheap, flexible doors and/or the cord runway don't keep either out. So far no rodents/ants in our Lance or Escape with a detachable electric cord.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I found dozens of ear wigs guarding the cord hole against intruders. Must have been successful since I found no rodents or insects inside the compartment.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I found dozens of ear wigs guarding the cord hole against intruders. Must have been successful since I found no rodents or insects inside the compartment.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
I had a 17' Escape and currently have a 21' Bigfoot and have never had a problem. The Escape did have a detachable electrical cable. Unlike the Escape design, the Bigfoot electrical cable is pushed into a dedcated, well-sealed compartment. I inspected my compartment and there may be places for ants to get in (I didn't see any places big enough for ants or mice).
Jane, I have to disagree with your statement "And the outside cubby holds (except power cord) don’t lead into the main cabin." As I said, the electrical cable goes into a separate compartment. The outside hatch, like the Escape, open to storage under the bed. But unlike my 17' Escape, I can access it with a drop down door from the main cabin. The space around the door would be big enough for a mouse to enter the main cabin. Your main defense then, is the hatch door. The hatch door used on the Bigfoot (I beleive) seals better and sturdier than the one used on my old Escape.
I believe both are sealed well and you could always add sealant to areas you are concerned about. The Bigfoot tanks and connections are enclosed in a fiberglass shroud which is completely sealed.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Do not forget that the Oliver is also double hulled....
Old 05-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #7

Let's keep that short list ... short.

BTW, per my chevy service manager a BF 21 is doable. But I'd still want to weigh it before purchase. Don't like surprises.

Good luck this week with your new rig.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by btroxell View Post
I had a 17' Escape and currently have a 21' Bigfoot and have never had a problem. The Escape did have a detachable electrical cable. Unlike the Escape design, the Bigfoot electrical cable is pushed into a dedcated, well-sealed compartment. I inspected my compartment and there may be places for ants to get in (I didn't see any places big enough for ants or mice).
Jane, I have to disagree with your statement "And the outside cubby holds (except power cord) don’t lead into the main cabin." As I said, the electrical cable goes into a separate compartment. The outside hatch, like the Escape, open to storage under the bed. But unlike my 17' Escape, I can access it with a drop down door from the main cabin. The space around the door would be big enough for a mouse to enter the main cabin. Your main defense then, is the hatch door. The hatch door used on the Bigfoot (I beleive) seals better and sturdier than the one used on my old Escape.
I believe both are sealed well and you could always add sealant to areas you are concerned about. The Bigfoot tanks and connections are enclosed in a fiberglass shroud which is completely sealed.

Ben
Hi Ben,
This is exactly the information that I need.

It has been some time since I have been in a BF 21, and I wasn't focused on entry points.

What year is you BF21? Is it a Rear Bed or Forward Bed model. I did not realize that there is storage compartment under the bed with direct access to the cabin.
Also, what sorts of areas do you camp? Do you frequent manicured trailer camp sites, or do you camp adjacent to trails and fields where these unwanated pests lurk?

My BF 19 does have direct cabin access into the electrical compartment via the dinette seat. If I keep this trailer another season, I will consider converting to a detachable power cord.

The 2018 Escape 19 & 21s we looked at do have direct access to the storage under the bed. They also have storage under the dinette which can ba accessed inside of the cabin. This is exactly what got me thinking about potential problems with pests.

Your comments regarding the construct of the outside hatch doors is excellent.
Perhaps the more recent Escape builds include better sealed hatches. Accordingly, perhaps it is possible improve the hatches. I will definitely ask the ETI people next week.

Thank you!
Jane P.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

You just order the trailer with optional disconnect cord, if you are concerned.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
I currently have a 2018 21RB. I never camped with hookups when we had the Escape. With the Bigfoot, it's been about 25%. We mainly go down fire roads in the national forest. We recently moved, but the Escape (and a year of the Bigfoot) was stored in our driveway in San Jose (not a lot of rodent or insect problem). For the last 6 months, the Bigfoot has been in the side yard of of our rural Sierra foothills home, all without issue.
The electrical compartment is under my dinette too but, as I said, the electrical cord stores into a sealed compartment adjacent to it. For the Escape, one reason I chose the detachable cable was that I was not keen on pushing and pulling the cable into the main electrical storage area where it could hang or grab something.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
A trick I learned camping in Mexico. Loop your power cord through a bucket of water with the free standing end running up to the trailer. Follows the theory that ants can't swim. Well, at least Mexican ants.

Don't forget that ants can make their way though the door frame as easy as climbing a power cord.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:44 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by btroxell View Post
I currently have a 2018 21RB. I never camped with hookups when we had the Escape. With the Bigfoot, it's been about 25%. We mainly go down fire roads in the national forest. We recently moved, but the Escape (and a year of the Bigfoot) was stored in our driveway in San Jose (not a lot of rodent or insect problem). For the last 6 months, the Bigfoot has been in the side yard of of our rural Sierra foothills home, all without issue.
The electrical compartment is under my dinette too but, as I said, the electrical cord stores into a sealed compartment adjacent to it. For the Escape, one reason I chose the detachable cable was that I was not keen on pushing and pulling the cable into the main electrical storage area where it could hang or grab something.

Ben
Which that electrical cord would ,and did for us . Understand about the closed box for cord , had on our other RV's . Had to install a removable cord to our trailer . Went big with a Smart Plug system . Why not ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21
We had an infestation of ants when we camped in Alabama, and they made it up and into our Casita. CG director told us to smear the shorepower cord with petroleum jelly. We did, and that stopped them from migrating up the cord.

Since we have plenty of field mice by our barn, we also put the Littlehouse.com Rubber grommet on our cord. No mice in the Casita.

I’m going to ask a daffy question here, but have you ever had a mouse in your house? Or ants?
Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
We had an infestation of ants when we camped in Alabama, and they made it up and into our Casita. CG director told us to smear the shorepower cord with petroleum jelly. We did, and that stopped them from migrating up the cord.

Since we have plenty of field mice by our barn, we also put the Littlehouse.com Rubber grommet on our cord. No mice in the Casita.

I’m going to ask a daffy question here, but have you ever had a mouse in your house? Or ants?
Know about the rubber plug for cord hole . I gave mine to Myron at Quartzsite not needing it anymore . Never had any problem using the rubber plug , it was the tangled cord . The last straw was being in a rain storm , arriving at a campground . Couldn't get the cord out had to crawl on the bed in the dark to untangle cord . No more . Smart Plug was installed when we got home . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I plan on solving several of these issues by installation of a 15 amp exterior plug on my hatch door. I will be able to use a removable 15amp extension cord which is easier to use than the 30 amp cord. For those times air is needed, then I'll use the 30 amp set up, thus I estimate 75% 15 amp and 25% 30 amp usage. As far as a rubber plug, is there a source for the 30 amp plug hole?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post

After finding some mouse droppings in the kitchen I finally caught a couple of those buggers by setting some mouse traps inside the (closed) dishwasher.

No, I don't have any idea how they got in.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
After finding some mouse droppings in the kitchen I finally caught a couple of those buggers by setting some mouse traps inside the (closed) dishwasher.

No, I don't have any idea how they got in.

--
Alan
My point is, here we are, being concerned over mice in our camper, when mice get into our houses. Then, is it a big deal?

My Casita never had mice, and neither has my Escape 21. If we supply a list of who’s Escape has had mice attacks(?), then that would settle the op inquisition.

Have you had mice 🐭 in your Escape 21?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #18

Not a 21, but none in my 17.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Know about the rubber plug for cord hole . I gave mine to Myron at Quartzsite not needing it anymore . Never had any problem using the rubber plug , it was the tangled cord . The last straw was being in a rain storm , arriving at a campground . Couldn't get the cord out had to crawl on the bed in the dark to untangle cord . No more . Smart Plug was installed when we got home . Pat
Firstly, and most importantly, for the op. I have never had a mouse in my Escape 21. We need to settle that issue.

My Escape 21 shore power cord is detachable, and I try not to tangle it up when I wipe it clean and store it. Once wound up, it goes in my rear drivers side, luggage door. It does have a tendency to get tangled up, as do all my extension cords.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #20

I've not had a mouse. I know they can squeeze through tight spaces, but this is pretty tight. If still concerned, I hear they don't like brass scouring pads ( and don't forget dryer sheets and mothballs and... )
Attached Thumbnails
Power cord.jpg