Escape 21 LED tail lights? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2020, 12:06 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Where from? Best I see is >$30.
There are 2 types, a light bar (running light) and a taillight (turn signal)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C10QNOY
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C10QNOY

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RBVQ9C
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The running light just has the three dimmer LEDs, while the other has both the bright brake/turn LEDs and the three dimmer running lights. The former is 2 wire, while the latter has 3 wires.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #23

Trailer: None
I have used 5200 on and off for almost half a century, building and maintaining my boat. It is an "adhesive sealant", with emphasis on adhesive (it contains cyanoacrylates - superglue). Taking things apart after curing is not an option. Back in 1978 I had installed bronze thru-hulls with 5200, and when I had to remove them in 2006, after trying everything else except high temps (not recommended as it releases toxic gases) we had to cut them out. Since the taillights are already mechanically attached you want to use a sealant, not an adhesive sealant, for this job.

Without tearing one apart it seems to me that these taillights must be using series limiting resistors for so many burn-outs to occur. If so then expect the same in the future. They should have proper regulators in them. Without seeing one off the trailer I don't know if it is possible to open them up and add a regulator but if I were replacing them I would be looking at doing that.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I have used 5200 on and off for almost half a century, building and maintaining my boat. It is an "adhesive sealant", with emphasis on adhesive (it contains cyanoacrylates - superglue). Taking things apart after curing is not an option. Back in 1978 I had installed bronze thru-hulls with 5200, and when I had to remove them in 2006, after trying everything else except high temps (not recommended as it releases toxic gases) we had to cut them out. Since the taillights are already mechanically attached you want to use a sealant, not an adhesive sealant, for this job.

Without tearing one apart it seems to me that these taillights must be using series limiting resistors for so many burn-outs to occur. If so then expect the same in the future. They should have proper regulators in them. Without seeing one off the trailer I don't know if it is possible to open them up and add a regulator but if I were replacing them I would be looking at doing that.
I definitely would not use 3M 5200 to attach the tail lights to the trailer!

What she was wanting to attach are aluminum mounting plates that would never be removed. The tail lights would then be attached to the aluminum plate using mounting hardware.

Since the only thing really holding the aluminum plate would be the 5200 with the plates being flat and the trailer surface curved, an adhesive/sealant would be appropriate for use.

And yes, if you ever wanted to get the plates off, you would have to cut it off using a razor cutter working from the edges.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
...Without tearing one apart it seems to me that these taillights must be using series limiting resistors for so many burn-outs to occur. If so then expect the same in the future. They should have proper regulators in them. Without seeing one off the trailer I don't know if it is possible to open them up and add a regulator but if I were replacing them I would be looking at doing that.
they look like they can be opened, by drillout out the hollow metal rivet/grommet at each end.

close visual inspection (through the lenticular red cover), I see around 5 fairly large resistors, a couple of what look like diodes, and a couple of what look like might be capacitors. there's 11 total LEDs, 3 (the turn/running lights) look different than the other 8.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
The running light just has the three dimmer LEDs, while the other has both the bright brake/turn LEDs and the three dimmer running lights. The former is 2 wire, while the latter has 3 wires.
Hmmm, my middle light has 3 wires upon removal. Might be all they had and used it during production. Was your middle light 2 wire? I ordered the marker and wondering whether to return and get the full LED bar as there are three wires coming from the trailer. Looks a bit like a Christmas tree and we don't drive at night too much yet maybe that is safer. Decisions, decisions
Edit: getting the Full Monty; Amazon had a used in new condition for $14.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:20 PM   #27
Site Team

i have the new ones, but I haven't taken the old ones off yet.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Here's a tip I don't recall seeing here before: when reinstalling the lamps- butyl tape gets crammed into the hole where the wires come out of trailer. Dionne answered my question as to what that brown stuff is.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:44 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hmmm, my middle light has 3 wires upon removal. Might be all they had and used it during production. Was your middle light 2 wire? I ordered the marker and wondering whether to return and get the full LED bar as there are three wires coming from the trailer. Looks a bit like a Christmas tree and we don't drive at night too much yet maybe that is safer. Decisions, decisions
Edit: getting the Full Monty; Amazon had a used in new condition for $14.
Ours had both 2 & 3 wire
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #30

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
since you're in the middle of this...i am trying to use the tail light wire to power a back-up camera. does anybody know off hand which color wire is the tail light? it would save my having to cut wires or pull the connectors off to figure out which one is hot with the tail lights on. i assume ETI used the same color scheme forever but mine is a 2016.
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Brown is tail lights, green is right turn and stop and yellow is left turn and stop. That’s the standard. Make sure to get a clean metal to metal contact on your ground.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Brown is tail lights, green is right turn and stop and yellow is left turn and stop. That’s the standard. Make sure to get a clean metal to metal contact on your ground.
Iowa Dave
thanks much! now if i could just scrape off the paint and gunk and figure out which feed is brown...i'm lucky with the ground because there is a ground attachment on the rear bumper right where i need it. thanks again!
Old 05-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #33
Site Team

oh, if you have the Bargman 4754001 wide horizontal strip style LED tail lights, that have 11 LEDs in a row, 16" wide, and 2" high, those have 3 wires... white is ground, brown is tail, red is stop/turn. The colors that IowaDave gave are the standards at the 4 or 7 pin trailer connector.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
oh, if you have the Bargman 4754001 wide horizontal strip style LED tail lights, that have 11 LEDs in a row, 16" wide, and 2" high, those have 3 wires... white is ground, brown is tail, red is stop/turn
Thank you, John, I got it. Good luck on yours. I had a heck of a time pulling the light off, it was so well sealed on there I worried about breaking it but eventually worked it off and it's ok.