Escape 21C Composting to Flush Conversion? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2022, 10:04 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPDX View Post
Just to give credit, where credit is due, the above job and any of the Engineering/Construction posts are from Mike and not KarenPDX. We are a team in many things, but taking out and putting in toilets is fully a Mike job.
ROTFLMAO
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Home Depot Baltic Birch is a poor comparison to the 5/8" we sourced from Mayan Hardwood to do our van floor with.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:13 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
home depot sells the cheapest/crapiest version of just about everything.

when I wanted a piece of baltic birch for something, I went to a local hardwood specialty supplier, and got the real thing. https://www.aurahardwoods.com/home

the real stuff comes as 5x5 ft (1.5m x 1.5m) squares, while the crappy stuff comes in american 6x8 sheets. there's also grades, the best is B/BB, which you can just lightly sand and then clearcoat and it looks awesome, stained or not, it is
awesome. If you are using it for purely strucutral uses where you can't see it, then grade C/C is fine.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:50 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
baltic birch rocks. sadly, most of it is from Russia. Its really popular in the amateur telescope making hobby as the construction material for the wooden parts of a 'Dobsonian' telescope as it can be machined with a router to close tolerances, and finishes really nicely very easily.
I wouldn’t be so sad about it, purchasing product from horrible countries is a ship I let sail long ago.
I’m pretty sure most are looking at one right now…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
ApplePly

A very good replacement for BB is made in Eugene Or by States Industries. It’s called ApplePly but it contains no apple in it. Only hardwoods. It comes with a maple veneer which I think is easier to finish and looks nicer than BB. Machines and holds screws just as well as BB. It comes in standard 4x8 sheet sizes. Other veneers besides maple are an option. I would like to build some speakers out of cherry Appleply. Speaker builders like BB for the same reasons the telescope people do. Expensive, but worth it when it is called for. In general you can get much higher quaility sheet goods at lumber yards and other businesses that cater to cabinet and furniture makers than at big box stores. I’m lucky to have a couple of places near me that sell high quality sheet goods and hardwood lumber.
KarenPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:19 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
So you slid a piece in sideways from under the bed area?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:01 PM   #27

No. The black tank and the plywood shelf was standard and put by ETI during the build. They cut the hole in the BB that exposes the black tank inlet port bushing. All I did was rout a hole in the fiberglass.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:36 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for the explanation. Despite having torn apart my 19 and 21 and seeing all the hidden spaces that's an area that was a mystery to me.

Good work,

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:37 PM   #29

In case anyone is wondering about the final conversion, we have finally got the toilet in - all Mike, and Karen finished it up with some 4x4 peel and stick tiles to hide the Composting Toilet screw holes. We will be trying it out on the way to Quartzite, and other southern Arizona sites beginning at the end of the week.

Name:  23826EC5-93BF-442E-A746-F3B5B5B39DBB.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  10.9 KB
Old 01-28-2023, 04:26 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypill View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what don't you like about the compost toilet? Easy to go wrong with them but if used correctly I think they're great.
I know no one is asking, but so far we love our composter. Really saved our butts, pun intended, on the way home when we traveled and boondocked in temps below 20F for a few days. Summer may tell a different story but so far so good.

As the commercial says, enjoy the go!
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:15 PM   #31

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPDX View Post
In case anyone is wondering about the final conversion, we have finally got the toilet in - all Mike, and Karen finished it up with some 4x4 peel and stick tiles to hide the Composting Toilet screw holes. We will be trying it out on the way to Quartzite, and other southern Arizona sites beginning at the end of the week.

Attachment 66795
Since that is a wet bath, that area is certain to get wet. Is there a bead of sealant around the base of the toilet to prevent water from getting under the toilet and into the Baltic Birch under the fiberglass? Were any other measures taken to protect the area, such as sealing around the mounting ring before mounting the toilet?

Charles