Escape 5.0 Exit Vent Over Bed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If JB Weld is used to do the repair, trust some other part of the vent will break before the JB Weld lets go.
Your right Donna . I use it all the time . Great stuff . The problem is the plastic is breaking so ,it's dried out and he will just keep having problems . Best to replace lid, vent and coat the new one with 303 constantly or the fusion paint so it will last longer . Wish they made the covers you can get for 14x14 standard vents . I would of liked that for 9 in vent . I used to put the covers on all my 14x14 vents and that really helped for longevity . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Amazon.ca, rvsupplyparts.com, rvautoparts.com, prvparts.com they're available all over the place.

Cheers
Doug
Indeed you are right Doug . I checked Amazon and they have 15x22 lid . He needs to make sure the lid is that size . The frame could be a different size which I believe ours was . They charge a lot for the lid though .A few dollars more you can have the whole vent for 89 .00. I am now thinking what we had was a different size . I can't remember but it was a little bigger . It was on a 1992 . I think I had 18x24 if my memory is not failing me . Anyway he has the information . Thanks for the resources . Pat
Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Amazon.ca, rvsupplyparts.com, rvautoparts.com, prvparts.com they're available all over the place.
Yes, I linked to three sources of the specific part for the dome (if Todd has the size right):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I only saw one replacement dome in a quick search:
RV ROOF ESCAPE HATCH EXIT VENT LID 15 X 22 90008-C1 from RV Supply Parts (US$86.19 )
... but that provided a part number (90008-C1) so I search for "Hengs 90008-C1" and found more sources:
Amazon.com
RVPlus.com
... and there appear to be lots more. Still not really cheap, but available.
... but Todd also wants to replace at least part of the operating mechanism.

Since the domes in this size (or anything other than 14"x14") are quite expensive, and the mechanisms hard to find, then buying a whole unit and pulling the needed parts - as Todd mentioned at the start - might end up as the way to go.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #24
ksb

Trailer: _
We needed to replace the LID ONLY on our 5.0; ordered this LID ONLY from Tweetys.com. The crank did not need replacement.

Heng's 90007-C1 Roof Vent Lid, 13" X 20", White

Cost: $42.32

hope this helps....

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoddday View Post
Hi everyone.

I am de-winterizing my trailer this spring and have an issue. I have a 2013 Escape 5.0 and the escape hatch/vent lid over my bed has cracked and more are forming...

I also noticed that the crank mechanism is also starting to separate at the rivets on the inside. It had leaked slightly when I cleaned it last year and assumed it was just a bad gasket, so it’s a good thing I had a cover over it for the winter!!!

I looked and found out that it is made by Heng Industries. I am not sure about the size and have contacted ETI to see if they can provide the information I need. I think it’s a 15x22. I am willing to buy a new vent assembly and cannibalize it for the replacement parts as I don't want to break the roof seals and gaskets.

Has anyone ever replaced the plastic lid and handle mechanism... it seems to me I should be able to get parts easily, but can seem to find directions. YouTube has some good info but not of these type vents from Hengs.

I have a temporary fix on it until I can get the parts I need. When repaired, I am going to put a MaxAir cover on it to help protect the new one. The Georgia Sun is brutal on the plastics... I have already replaced the small round ones that are on the waste tank vents!

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

Todd
ksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
Great Info everyone... I put a temp repair on the plastic hatch and sealed the cracks with a windshield RTV just to keep the bed dry. Its rubbery and very flexible, and wont use the hatch until i have it replaced. I am leaning on the advice of changing it out all together.

How did you all soften the roof sealant at each fastener and remove it around the hatch without damaging the fiberglass?

I have sent a message to Escape and will share when I get an answer from them. I think the best way to get the size of the hatch will be to remove the inside trim ring and measure the cutout in the fiberglass.

I am really particular about things and with the money I have in this "investment" I want to keep it in pristine condition.

Though I have a cover that I use for long term storage, I saw in camping world a cover that only covers the top of a camper just for the reason of UV damage to plastic parts. I have also noticed that that is where the camper chalks up first requiring constant polishing and waxing. Anything will help since I have to keep it outside. I had the same problems with my boat...
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoddday View Post
Great Info everyone... I put a temp repair on the plastic hatch and sealed the cracks with a windshield RTV just to keep the bed dry. Its rubbery and very flexible, and wont use the hatch until i have it replaced. I am leaning on the advice of changing it out all together.

How did you all soften the roof sealant at each fastener and remove it around the hatch without damaging the fiberglass?

I have sent a message to Escape and will share when I get an answer from them. I think the best way to get the size of the hatch will be to remove the inside trim ring and measure the cutout in the fiberglass.

I am really particular about things and with the money I have in this "investment" I want to keep it in pristine condition.

Though I have a cover that I use for long term storage, I saw in camping world a cover that only covers the top of a camper just for the reason of UV damage to plastic parts. I have also noticed that that is where the camper chalks up first requiring constant polishing and waxing. Anything will help since I have to keep it outside. I had the same problems with my boat...
Sounds like a great plan . Pat
Old 04-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Though I have a cover that I use for long term storage, I saw in camping world a cover that only covers the top of a camper just for the reason of UV damage to plastic parts.
Please provide a link to that partial cover, I can not seem to find that.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008;
Please provide a link to that partial cover, I can not seem to find that.
Hi cpaharley! Hope all is well with you since I last saw you!

Here is the link to the cover you requested....

ADCO 36030 18' to 24' RV Roof Cover | RVCovers.com

Looks like a good fit for part time storage. I had the one custom made by the company that ETI recommended (Calmark), and its a great cover. Only It is hard to put on by myself. I just want a quick on off cover for the summers.

Todd
Old 04-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks Todd,
All is well,thank you, just waiting for ETI to ramp up production for Prairie Schooner.....
Old 04-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #30

Hi everyone! As promised, here is the response I got back from ETI. Fast response less then 24 hours!

Hello Todd
It is a product of Heng, Part # 31121-C2 it is the 13x20 escape hatch. I hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any problems finding the part.
Thanks Anita

Anita Quinville, Inventory Control and Customer Service
Escape Trailer Industries
43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2

Tel: 604 703 1650
Toll Free: 1 855 703 1650
Fax: 604 703 1651
Email: partsandservice@escapetrailer.com
Old 04-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thanks Todd,
All is well,thank you, just waiting for ETI to ramp up production for Prairie Schooner.....
Wow! Downsizing? I thought you had a 21. It was a nice trailer! Kim and I talked about upgrading to the 5.0TA
Old 11-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #32

I just realized that I forgot to give the final outcome... I did replace the whole hatch assembly. I contacted escape again and got the part number for the actual sealant the Escape used. The replacement took me about 4 hours once I had the parts and sealer. It looks like it did when it was new! They have always been really good to me up there in Canada! Great service from escape!
Old 09-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Is it possible to replace escape hatch cover in TA 5.0 from inside? To remove the old cover, is it the style where you uncurl the end of the channel? If not from inside, how did you reach? Thanks!
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Is it possible to replace escape hatch cover in TA 5.0 from inside? To remove the old cover, is it the style where you uncurl the end of the channel? If not from inside, how did you reach? Thanks!
I padded the side of the trailer and used a short ladder. Once the lid was replaced, I opened it to the max, put the new foam gasket in place from the inside of the trailer, and then cranked it shut and left it shut for a while for the sticky surface to set up.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I padded the side of the trailer and used a short ladder. Once the lid was replaced, I opened it to the max, put the new foam gasket in place from the inside of the trailer, and then cranked it shut and left it shut for a while for the sticky surface to set up.
What happened to your covers that you replaced them?

I used our emergency exit once, not to exit but to get into the trailer! We keep our trailer inside storage and luckily we had left the emergency exit open

We keep one set of trailer keys in the trailer and one in the trucks glove box. I don't know where it happened (I suspect when we had our oil changed), our baggie containing our Senior Pass, Passports, spare trailer key and some other was rifled through. They took our Senior Pass, Passports, spare trailer key out of the baggie. I now have a 3rd key set.

When we reported our Passports as stolen, no one seemed to care. I thought there might be some concern about that.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I just did mine, mostly from inside. I had 2 big screws, one on either end of the hinge, then you slide it out. The hard part is disconnecting the crank mechanism. For that I had to drill out the 2 rivets in the front with a 1/8" bit, I had to do from outside on a ladder, actually I stood on the pin box. This https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is the one used on my 2014. ETI had sent me the part # for the next size up so they may have changed at some point, you should measure.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
The cover has a v-shaped crack in it where the plastic attaches to the metal. We bought the trailer used but we have only opened it once or twice - probably the Florida sun did a number on it.
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
What happened to your covers that you replaced them?
First, I had a small crack develop in the front. Using a piece of narrow aluminum stock, Proflex, and rivets I made a very professional looking patch. Then, while camping in the northeast, a 2 minute windstorm broke a large branch of a nearby tree that fell directly on the hatch, creating several cracks with rain pouring in. I covered it with a large garbage bag and put items on the edges to hold it down. When the rain stopped and everything dried, I taped over the cracks with waterproof Gorilla tape until I could get a new lid.

In accordance with what Bob stated above, sizing is an issue. Any reasonable person would measure the lid and order one that size. Not Heng’s (the hatch manufacturer) or the RV parts industry. They use the size of the installation opening. If you order based on the size of the lid itself, it will be too large. Lesson learned when I made this “stupid” mistake. It took me two weeks to get the correct lid.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I was washing the ash off my 2015 5.0TA and noticed a crack very similar to the pictures posted here. I ended up calling Heng's and inquired about the cover. My cover is translucent, which I love because it gets more light above the bed. The very nice lady at Heng's explained that they do not make translucent covers and have not made them in the past. I am waiting for a call back from Escape but it looks like mine might not be made by Heng's. Do any of the rest of you have the translucent cover or is mine unique?
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
I was washing the ash off my 2015 5.0TA and noticed a crack very similar to the pictures posted here. I ended up calling Heng's and inquired about the cover. My cover is translucent, which I love because it gets more light above the bed. The very nice lady at Heng's explained that they do not make translucent covers and have not made them in the past. I am waiting for a call back from Escape but it looks like mine might not be made by Heng's. Do any of the rest of you have the translucent cover or is mine unique?
Mine is white and it does let in light, and unlike you, my wife likes total darkness in the sleeping area. We made inserts using high density foam to block the light and insulate the opening. I seriously doubt that Reace changed from Heng’s to some other supplier in 2015 (mine is a 2015 also) but it is possible. Please post a photo of yours, and if it is a Heng’s, I will send you the correct part number. They can be ordered from eTrailer.

On edit, the correct Heng’s number is 90007-C1.
The lid measures 15-3/8” x 22-1/4”, but as I stated in an earlier post these idiots size it by the hole cut in the roof which is 13” x 20”. The part listed above should be correct if the outside dimensions of the lid match those above.