Escape Awnings - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have the power awning . It goes out when I push the button and comes in when I push the button
I’ve used it in the sun , I’ve used it in the rain and it works / looks just fine
Beyond that I don’t care to spend any more time thinking about it !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We had a manual awning on our previous trailer and have the electric awning on our Escape. Both worked great. We tend to travel in the southwest and use the awning for shade far more than for rain protection. I really like the convenience of being able to extend the electric awning just far enough to shade our windows. And when we are on a long driving day and stop for lunch, it's really nice to be able to extend the awning for shade on a hot day - never bothered to do that at a brief lunch stop with the manual awning.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #23

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
For every owner you can find with a manual awning that considers it clunky, I’ll find ten real campers who consider its functionality, ease of deployment and durability a thing of beauty. Some of those good looking high school girls 50 years ago ain’t lookin so good these days but they can still make a nice dinner and are real nice people. And I never looked that good either but I can still do a man’s job all day long.
Iowa Dave

After 14 previous campers we love the Carefree awning on our 2018 5.0. It's the best yet, easiest to deploy, and sheds water like we expect. Shedding 2 1/2" of rain in 1 1/2 days is nothing.

We have been under our Carefree awning when it's rained 1" per hour! Once we had our portable fire pit under the awning, made dinner with charcoal, and then put wood on the fire while it rained over two inches in less than three hours.

Yes, our Carefree works like WE want it to work!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There have been a couple of reports of the awning opening on the road. I suspect that if the multiple locking devices are not properly deployed and if the pull strap is too close to the "Open/Close" mechanism that it flapping around can possibly hit the lever and move it to "Open".

There is the bottom latch that needs to be closed and locked by the tab. There is a knurled knob that has to be tightened and the "Open/Close" lever moved to close.
I have added a velcro strap at the top that prevents the two parts of the arm from pulling apart.
I also take a gear tie and wrap it around the open/close latch, put tension towards the closed position and then wrap it around the arm. This way it is impossible for that switch to flip when going down the road. I suppose the internal mechanism could still fail and allow the roller tube to turn but I think the chances of that are pretty low.

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Orig.../dp/B00SHBO2Q2

There is also this external awning lock but I haven't felt the need to add it. This should keep the awning roller locked if the latch is flipped or the internal brake mechanism is weak or fails.
Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
Old 09-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have the power awning . It goes out when I push the button and comes in when I push the button
I’ve used it in the sun , I’ve used it in the rain and it work / looks just fine
Beyond that I don’t care to spend any more time thinking about it !

Same here. Never a problem with the power awning on my 17B. Works like a charm though I admit we haven’t been in many gully-washers out West the past years. :-(
But it keeps the ashes off! And that wind sensor works fine, too.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Escape Awnings

Oof, it’s looking like our tribe has finally had a nose full of fires and smoke out west and may be moving up near the Canadian border in the Midwest.

As we’re thinking to change to a 5.0 as well, anyone know of a screen room that will work with its power awning? Might be changing smoke clouds for skeeter clouds!

Thanks,
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Oof, it’s looking like our tribe has finally had a nose full of fires and smoke out west and may be moving up near the Canadian border in the Midwest.

As we’re thinking to change to a 5.0 as well, anyone know of a screen room that will work with its power awning? Might be changing smoke clouds for skeeter clouds!

Thanks,
Jonathan
They had frost ( 26 deg F ) on two mornings last week in Northern Minnesota in the counties along the Canadian border so I wouldn’t be overly concerned about Mosquitoes
I would bring a warm blanket
We went camping in Northern Wisconsin last week and lows were just above freezing
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 21NE March 2021
Escape Awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If I was buying now, all this talk from manual owners on how bad the electric is would have me really checking things close too. I have always had a manual awning and did well with it. When I moved to the 5.0TA, it only came with the electric so that is what I have. While there are a couple disadvantages, the price being the main one, and use in heavy rain the other, I would be pretty hard pressed to go back to the manual if I was making a choice now.

I personally love the sleeker look open or closed. It is so easy to operate. Heavy winds coming up, no worries, it closes itself. No arms to collect highway dirt and bugs.

In rain, setting up the manual to shed water is a great feature, especially in real heavy rain. I actually had a manual fail once in a huge downpour, where I was holding the pole to the campfire awning while others cleaned up under it, and watched my wife go into the trailer as the awning filled, bent the roller, and came down. I have come to do just fine with the electric. This past weekend saw us get 2 1/2" of rain in 1 1/2 days. The awning was fully extended during the day, as were two other Escapes with us, using a center support that is easy to install and should the awning want to close due to wind would cause no problem. Some like to scoff at the use of this pole, yet have no concerns with two on a manual awning. At bedtime it was closed to 5' extension where it works just fine.

My wife will gladly operate the electric awning, but would not touch the manual. Not a big deal, but still nice to please the wife.

This said, both are just fine for heading out and making memories.

Hi Jim,
We have the NE on order for next year and we are also deciding between the manual and the electric. Fully understand the pros and cons except the use of a pole for the electric. Can you show and explain the type of pole you use, how it is placed under the electric, and how the awning can retract via the wind sensor if a pole is being used. Thank you for the help!
Rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The awning was fully extended during the day, as were two other Escapes with us, using a center support that is easy to install and should the awning want to close due to wind would cause no problem.
Hi Jim, we've been enjoying our electric awning. Please provide some more details on the center support you deploy. This is a really good idea I'd like to implement. Thank you!
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We have power awning now and a manual on our previous trailer. While they both have advantages and disadvantages we like the power awning because of its ease of use.

On our last trip it was raining when we left the campground for a day trip. We comfortably stood under the extended awning, locked the trailer and ran to the truck. I brought the remote with me and closed the awning from the comfort of the truck. We opened the awning when we returned and stayed dry while unlocking and entering the trailer. Another plus in my book for the power awning. [emoji4]
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Hi Jim, we've been enjoying our electric awning. Please provide some more details on the center support you deploy. This is a really good idea I'd like to implement. Thank you!
I use an adjustable tarp pole which can be placed on a table or on the ground. One the top I have a 3/4" wood dowel wrapped in a pool noodle, about 36" long, that with a hole in it attaches to the pin on the pole.

I do plan to update the top piece, maybe a curved wood piece a bit shorter than 36", with nicely rounded edges.

The first thing I ever used with this setup was a hard hat, which actually worked very well, just a wee bit crude. [emoji16]

Plus, should the wind pick up and the awning retract, this would not be affected at all with this type setup.

I will look to see if I have a photo of this setup.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikster View Post
Hi Jim,
We have the NE on order for next year and we are also deciding between the manual and the electric. Fully understand the pros and cons except the use of a pole for the electric. Can you show and explain the type of pole you use, how it is placed under the electric, and how the awning can retract via the wind sensor if a pole is being used. Thank you for the help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Until Jim weighs in this is a picture he posted back in 2017. Unless he has modified it since this isn’t anything real fancy. An adjustable pole and hard hat.

Others have used a pole with pvc section up against the awning.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post255345

On edit: I see that Jim posted while I was typing...and did indeed improve his awning pole design.
Attached Thumbnails
4BEE2D9D-C526-4B51-BE64-8E1819072902.jpeg  
Old 09-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I did something similar, using a canoe paddle blade jammed in the space between the boards of a picnic table and the handle supporting a tarp. Wind came up and I now have a two piece paddle.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
It seems to me that if the armless awnings require owners to fab up temporary supports for them, the advantage of that awning kind of disappears. I guess if you do have an armless model and want it to work properly, it does make sense to McGyver a system that allows it to be used. If it ever comes to the point where I am shopping for a new trailer again, with what I have seen now I would probably choose a manual awning with arms. Then again, technology could very well improve by then and there could be a better system available.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
It seems to me that if the armless awnings require owners to fab up temporary supports for them, the advantage of that awning kind of disappears.
Not at all for, unless your experience is different, this once every 50 times or more setting up is a piece of cake. Not needed, but nice to have if you want full opening during a rain storm.

Remember, I have had only the manual type of awning for 30 years, so have hordes of experience with them. Having the electric now for 3 1/2 years, and about 6 months of use, I have got to know it quite well too. Having used both I have learned the merits of both. For me, the only advantage to the manual is use in heavy rain, but now that I have built an easy workaround for when 5' of awning is too little, I am very pleased with having it.

But, if you and others have had differing experience from mine and have grown to dislike the electric awning, I do respect your position. We are all different, maybe me a little more.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #36

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have the electric awning, we like the electric and unless on a tight budget would buy it again.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having the power awning on both the E19 and E21, we would not return to the manual.