Escape Awnings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 19', 2018
Escape Awnings

Hi,

Anyone converted from the Dometic power awning to the manual awning?
Tips on removing the Dometic awning?
DIY or have it done at the factory?
Any residual signs of the previous awning once manual awning is installed?
Market for gently used Dometic power awnings? Price?

Be safe, be well,

Bern
Bernard Forestell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I don't know if they still are, but the legs used to be custom bent for the shape of the trailer. Last I knew ETI owned the bender.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Forestell View Post
Hi,

Anyone converted from the Dometic power awning to the manual awning?
Tips on removing the Dometic awning?
DIY or have it done at the factory?
Any residual signs of the previous awning once manual awning is installed?
Market for gently used Dometic power awnings? Price?

Be safe, be well,

Bern
I have a 2017 19 foot, the automatic awning was the only choose in 2017. I liked the look of the automatic and it was so easy to deploy. I didn’t like the fact you could not tilt it, I like sitting out in the rain. I also could never keep the awning adjusted properly. It was either sticking out from the trailer body in the front or in the back. It got the the point that once I got it adjusted so it was snug I was afraid to open it incase it went out of alignment again. I took my trailer back to the factory in 2019 and had then install a manual one, couldn’t be happier.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
You may want to update your personal info

You list your rig as a 1918 E 19. Could that be 2018 instead? I'm positive, the current Escape company was not building fiberglass trailers 102 years ago.

Or is yours the 1918th one built?

FYI.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I think you you have a 2018, probably not a 1918 . So it would use straight legs so you could order one from Camping World and do it your self.

Or get an RV shop to order one and install it for you.

My understanding is that Escape no longer makes after purchase alterations.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Escape Awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I have a 2017 19 foot, the automatic awning was the only choose in 2017. I liked the look of the automatic and it was so easy to deploy. I didn’t like the fact you could not tilt it, I like sitting out in the rain. I also could never keep the awning adjusted properly. It was either sticking out from the trailer body in the front or in the back. It got the the point that once I got it adjusted so it was snug I was afraid to open it incase it went out of alignment again. I took my trailer back to the factory in 2019 and had then install a manual one, couldn’t be happier.
Hello I am a new member. I have never seen an Escape in person but have been studying the them for a little while in hopes of purchasing a 21c or NE.

I viewed several factory videos was was impressed with everything except the awnings. The manual awning appeared unattractive and clunky. When I viewed the power awning I was even more unimpressed. I appeared flimsy which is worse than clunky, cumbersome and unattractive.

Could you please give me your experiences with each, especially during wind and rain. I don't want to be negative I am concerned.
I currently wish to move up from a Casita that has a Fiamma manual awning that I have use in the wind and rain with the legs shortened, tilted to the side, staked and tied down with their kit with no problem.
Please give me your input. Thanks
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've never staked down my manual awning. I simply slope it to shed rain away from the entry or reef it in half way if winds are expected ( or at night ).
It has never occurred to me that the awning is unattractive, or that it is clunky.
I have a screen room that attaches, and side curtains, which I understand cannot used with the power awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg   Screen room.jpg  
Old 09-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
For every owner you can find with a manual awning that considers it clunky, I’ll find ten real campers who consider its functionality, ease of deployment and durability a thing of beauty. Some of those good looking high school girls 50 years ago ain’t lookin so good these days but they can still make a nice dinner and are real nice people. And I never looked that good either but I can still do a man’s job all day long.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Hello I am a new member. I have never seen an Escape in person but have been studying the them for a little while in hopes of purchasing a 21c or NE.

I viewed several factory videos was was impressed with everything except the awnings. The manual awning appeared unattractive and clunky. When I viewed the power awning I was even more unimpressed. I appeared flimsy which is worse than clunky, cumbersome and unattractive.

Could you please give me your experiences with each, especially during wind and rain. I don't want to be negative I am concerned.
I currently wish to move up from a Casita that has a Fiamma manual awning that I have use in the wind and rain with the legs shortened, tilted to the side, staked and tied down with their kit with no problem.
Please give me your input. Thanks
In my option both styles of awning have advantages and disadvantages, all depends on your camping style. The electric is easy to deploy and very sleek looking when pulled in. The manual can be tilted for rain and cleaning dead leaves off. If you have hesitations on the power awning then stay with something you have already had. They are very expense to change out after the fact. I also think my manual is super looking
Old 09-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, your "unattractive and clunky" is my "just fine". Anything you could do with your Casita awning I can do with my awning.

I'm not a fan of the power awning, but then I've never had one.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Anything you could do with your Casita awning I can do with my awning.
I must admit I do like the Fiamma manual 'case' awning on my Casita better than the Dometic manual I'll get on my 5.0TA. When closed or used in the 'cantilever mode' it looks just like the Dometic electric from Escape.

The difference being that it has telescoping legs that fold-up into the outside edge 'bar' .... It'll work as a 'cantilevered' awning with no legs dropped, work with legs dropped to the ground if ya wanna 'stake em', or work with the legs angled back to brackets near the bottom of the trailer wall; can be set slightly 'angled' to one end to drain rainwater, no worries.

The legs are completely tucked into the case when the awning is closed - nothing vertical down the side of the trailer to interfere with windows, nothing on the side when underway on the road. It's been a solid performer for 15 years.

Oh well, still looking forward to the new 5.0 (and sill opting for a manual awning)
Old 09-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The manual awning (Carefree of Colorado brand) is designed and built far sturdier than the lightweight Fiamma awning on my Casita. Add a couple of anti-flap clamps , rope down the corners, and it's pretty stout. Unless it's going to be a huge wind I leave mine out during rain with the proper tilt of course.

I wouldn't do that with a Fiamma - don't think there was anyplace to attach the anti-flap clamps anyway.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #13

As for being clunky, my buddy tied his Brittany ( on a 50' rope ) to one of the awning arms. SQUIRREL!!!!!
Resulted in a slight bend that had to be bent back to close the awning. No lasting damage to the awning or the dog.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Was camping a couple weeks ago and a strong wind picked up fairly suddenly - kind of unusual for the area. Anyhow the wind sensor on the electric awning worked and the awning retracted right away. Walking around afterward it looked like a couple rvs had damage to their manual awnings and a tent trailer had it’s bag awning flipped onto the roof.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If I was buying now, all this talk from manual owners on how bad the electric is would have me really checking things close too. I have always had a manual awning and did well with it. When I moved to the 5.0TA, it only came with the electric so that is what I have. While there are a couple disadvantages, the price being the main one, and use in heavy rain the other, I would be pretty hard pressed to go back to the manual if I was making a choice now.

I personally love the sleeker look open or closed. It is so easy to operate. Heavy winds coming up, no worries, it closes itself. No arms to collect highway dirt and bugs.

In rain, setting up the manual to shed water is a great feature, especially in real heavy rain. I actually had a manual fail once in a huge downpour, where I was holding the pole to the campfire awning while others cleaned up under it, and watched my wife go into the trailer as the awning filled, bent the roller, and came down. I have come to do just fine with the electric. This past weekend saw us get 2 1/2" of rain in 1 1/2 days. The awning was fully extended during the day, as were two other Escapes with us, using a center support that is easy to install and should the awning want to close due to wind would cause no problem. Some like to scoff at the use of this pole, yet have no concerns with two on a manual awning. At bedtime it was closed to 5' extension where it works just fine.

My wife will gladly operate the electric awning, but would not touch the manual. Not a big deal, but still nice to please the wife.

This said, both are just fine for heading out and making memories.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Escape Awnings

Thanks everyone for all of you replies. Let me apologize for my choice of terms. By clunky I mean it doesn't have the sleek look of the power awning. I am leaning towards the Manual awning because of its apparent durability. Is there any concern of the manual awning being more likely to blow open when trailering versus the power awning
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Thanks everyone for all of you replies. Let me apologize for my choice of terms. By clunky I mean it doesn't have the sleek look of the power awning. I am leaning towards the Manual awning because of its apparent durability. Is there any concern of the manual awning being more likely to blow open when trailering versus the power awning
Just make sure the awning is in the locked position and I also use the awning straps. Whether it’s the manual or power crap might happen but the chances are very low.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA on order!
I've heard people say after a rain the manual awning needs to be put out to dry to prevent mildew. Do you have to do the same with the power awning?
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:52 PM   #19

There have been a couple of reports of the awning opening on the road. I suspect that if the multiple locking devices are not properly deployed and if the pull strap is too close to the "Open/Close" mechanism that it flapping around can possibly hit the lever and move it to "Open".

There is the bottom latch that needs to be closed and locked by the tab. There is a knurled knob that has to be tightened and the "Open/Close" lever moved to close.
I have added a velcro strap at the top that prevents the two parts of the arm from pulling apart.
Which reminds me of the tent trailer pulled over on the highway near my home. The roof hadn't been properly latched and the wind lifted the front and then opened the trailer, most of which was laying on the road behind the tow. Especially sad, since it appeared to be a rental.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning lock.jpg   Awning strap 2.jpg  
Old 09-11-2020, 01:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We are on our second Escape, both have or had the manual awning. The new one is slick, only takes 30 seconds to put it out. Our 12 year old Escape was a little finicky. I should have ordered some replacement parts but I was fine with it. Overall I have been very happy with the manual version.

I am not to interested in anything with motors, screens and displays. For the best part, electronics have a limits life span. Keep it simple.